Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2016, 01:41 PM - 4 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Requested firmware update to the K-01

I politely wrote to Pentax asking about a possible firmware update to the K-01 so that the new PLM lens (and future PLM lenses?) will be fully operational on it. After all, a number of other contemporaneous models have been updated. Maybe others want to chime in and request it as well. It is not critical, but it would be nice -- and who knows, they might decide to throw in some other delightful things as well, given the holiday season.

They responded:
Hello, thank you for being a Ricoh-Pentax customer. We do appreciate you. We are always pushing out new firmware updates to add more functionality to our cameras. I am not sure when they will release a firmware for the K-01 to operate with the 55-300 lens. Right now, I can only say to stay tuned in to the Ricoh Imaging website for new releases.

12-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, I'd never guess they do this update (old hardware at this point), that'd be pretty neat!
12-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would be nice, because that lens focuses pretty quickly even in CDAF mode. Doubt it'll happen though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-20-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Count me in. As I said on another forum, if Pentax updates the K-5 II and K-01 to work with the PLM lens, I'd buy it, even though I'm not looking to really invest further in Pentax gear.

12-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That would be nice, because that lens focuses pretty quickly even in CDAF mode. Doubt it'll happen though.
I remember some months back I emailed Ricoh about the firmware update for the K-3 for this very thing and was told NO. I also remember the interview at Photokina and getting the NO sense there too..... Then BAM!!!! K-3 update!

You just never know do you..... I thought my poor K-3 was going to be left out in the cold but they updated it, sooo perhaps the K-01 is next!
12-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

From one perspective, it makes some sense for them to continue to offer firmware support for the K-01: that camera has no direct successor competing with it -- as opposed to, say, their DSLRs from the same time period that they'd like to see owners upgrade from. After all, I expect a lot of K-01 shooters also have purchased something like a K1, K3, or K3 II. So if the programming is not difficult since it's been implemented elsewhere, then it becomes an inexpensive way for them to continue to promote goodwill and brand loyalty, without much downside.
12-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It might do more than just build goodwill. If old bodies can use new lenses then Ricoh can sell more PLM lenses to folks who won't buy a new body.

12-21-2016, 12:04 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It might do more than just build goodwill. If old bodies can use new lenses then Ricoh can sell more PLM lenses to folks who won't buy a new body.
Or it will make another percentage of folks not upgrade to a new body.

Upgrading to take advantage of new features is a time-honoured sales strategy.

Delicate one for the marketing department.

Last edited by clackers; 12-21-2016 at 02:08 AM.
12-21-2016, 05:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Upgrading to take advantage of new features is a time-honoured sales strategy.
Right, that's the rub, and it's why I wouldn't necessarily expect, say, the K5 to be given a PLM firmware update; but there is no newer K-mount mirrorless that K-01 shooters can upgrade to. Yet many of us (judging by PF membership anyway!) use multiple Pentax bodies, making the K-01 a sort of cul de sac rather than a dead end. So, I don't know. It might depend on whether they plan on a new K-MILC in the next couple of years.
12-22-2016, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #10

If Pentax bring out a firmware update for the K-01 that would make it PLM compatible, I will buy the new 50-300 lens!

Alternatively a new PLM compatible K-02 (ff with evf) would be nice!
01-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #11

I hope they can do something about the AF on the K-01, too.
01-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hdom Quote
Unlikely... it's a mirrorless without a Phase Detect AF module.

01-23-2017, 05:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would be great if they could seriously improve AF on this cam. It's so-so at best and abysmal in low light. But there's no incentive for pentax to do so.

QuoteOriginally posted by hdom Quote
03-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It's been what, 2 years? since the last K-01 firmware update. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Even with the news of KP and K-1 getting updates for Sensor Shift in Video, I wouldn't expect that to be carried back through older models, even though it should be a fairly easy change.

Ricoh-Pentax is simply not supporting older models.
03-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I think we should all write to pentax for a final firmware update on the k-01, it's the only way they'd do anything (not that I think they will).

The final farewell update would ideally have:
PLM Lens support.
Mechanical SR in Video mode
Astrotracer Support