Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2017, 10:16 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Oh yeah just a fair tip. The mode dial has a tenancy to come off. I think it's the only design flaw with the camera so be careful not to lose it when it eventually does
I have had a Sears Craftsman Corded Drill for about 38 years, the chuck key fits in a recessed slot in the top, I have never lost it (and I have never tied it down like I see some people do). A stupid landscaper once dropped the chuck key in my yard and ran away, I spent about an hour on my hands and knees searching and luckily found it. I still don't tie it down (I just never lend the drill out anymore). Poppy mode dials don't scare me.

03-03-2017, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
My beloved K-r is about to have a baby brother. Saw a K-01 package on eBay, sniped it, then deleted the snipe (do I *really* want a mirrorless camera? I love looking through the viewfinder), then added it back, then deleted it... tonight, 4 hours before it ended, I randomly put a price that I thought would be fair into my snipe app, went out to the grocery store... and... ding! Got it. Body, 18-55 and 50-200. Supposedly 8 clicks on body. Yup, 8. Not sure what the story is yet.

So... I guess I now have CBA. Will it stop?
Sell those two pieces of junk and get a 40mm XS.

Regarding the mode dial, yeah the glue they used is not even remotely up to the job, will definitely come off in, let's say, two year's time.
A dab of bicomponent epoxy resin will solve the issue forever, it's an easy fix really, there even is a notch to ensure that the dial is aligned correctly.
03-03-2017, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a dangerous thread. I think CBA could be very contagious. I've never really paid attention to the mirrorless cameras, but now looking at the K-01, that looks really neat and hard to resist. And I can use all my lenses, and it's so small. Now I want one - CBA looks dangerous! But only one year of production though? Is the Q-S1 a step up? But looks like sensor was maybe higher end in the K-01? Confused by the progression of what is what on these bodies. For the moment, think I need to stay "focused" on my LBA issues, but I can see how CBA is a natural progression of the disease.....
03-03-2017, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Sell those two pieces of junk and get a 40mm XS.
I already have a 40xs, snagged here on the Marketplace, so the original Newson pairing will be complete. And yes, once I am done with testing out my extremely overlapping lenses, I'll sell the ones I use less (or never).

03-03-2017, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
This is a dangerous thread. I think CBA could be very contagious. I've never really paid attention to the mirrorless cameras, but now looking at the K-01, that looks really neat and hard to resist. And I can use all my lenses, and it's so small. Now I want one - CBA looks dangerous! But only one year of production though? Is the Q-S1 a step up? But looks like sensor was maybe higher end in the K-01? Confused by the progression of what is what on these bodies. For the moment, think I need to stay "focused" on my LBA issues, but I can see how CBA is a natural progression of the disease.....
QS-1 is part of the Q mirror-less system and has different lenses. It's basically a Q7 with different ergonomics truth be told.
03-03-2017, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the insight on the different lines - need to get versed in this.

So many neat cameras and lenses to feed the disease - wonder if anyone would bite on a gofundme for this affliction?
03-03-2017, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I sold my K-01 to a friend for a good price. The mode dial had come off so I cut him a great deal. I kind of miss it sometimes.

03-03-2017, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LBA is defined as owning 5 or more 50mm lenses. Can we define CBA as owning 5 or more K1000s?
03-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I was actually watching that listing too. I'd love to have a K-01 as a carry around since my K-3 is a bit bulky and I don't bring it if I'm not sure I'll need it.

A few years ago I saw a K-01 with a DA 40 XS go for $205 but I couldn't justify it with other expenses at the time. With the way prices have been going lately, if I see one that low again I won't think twice!
03-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
I was actually watching that listing too. I'd love to have a K-01 as a carry around since my K-3 is a bit bulky and I don't bring it if I'm not sure I'll need it.

A few years ago I saw a K-01 with a DA 40 XS go for $205 but I couldn't justify it with other expenses at the time. With the way prices have been going lately, if I see one that low again I won't think twice!
I'm glad I decided to change my mind. I think I'll like this little guy.
03-03-2017, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

A few years ago I saw a K-01 with a DA 40 XS go for $205
if I see one that low again I won't think twice!
The horse bolted!
03-06-2017, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, the K-01 arrived. 8 actuations just as advertised. Now it has 16. Took a few shots then started reading the sticky & review about recommended settings. Weird not looking through eyepiece.
03-07-2017, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

A cheap eBay loupe is a handy accessory for when the screen can't be seen.The one that fits a Canon works well.
03-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A cheap eBay loupe is a handy accessory for when the screen can't be seen.The one that fits a Canon works well.
I'm trying to figure out what you're referencing - on eBay, I see jeweler's loops, an eyepiece that fits a Canon DSLR, but not seeing anything that makes sense to me for the K-01. What am I missing? Do you have a link?

Thanks!
03-07-2017, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Loupe

Do a search for canon viewfinder....get the one that has a frame that screws into tripod thread...the nut has a thread too so you can still screw in....once frames in place the loupe shade magnetically attaches.$3-4..Happy Days on Sunny Days!