Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2017, 09:13 PM   #1

K-01 vs K-5: autofocus speed/accuracy in low light

Hi,

How is CDAF of K-01 in low light compared to that of K-5 ?

Thanks.

03-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 has newer CDAF than the K-5, with the primary advantage of being able to specify the focus area more precisely. Computing is also a bit faster. We performed a direct comparison here:

Pentax K-01 Review - Autofocus Performance | PentaxForums.com Reviews

CDAF tech has been continually improved since then, however, and you can definitely tell the difference between the current models and older ones like the K-01 and K-5. The biggest improvement is the faster focus motor which can be found in the K-3 and newer- it can make focusing with screwdrive lenses much, much faster, especially in CDAF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-23-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I gave up on K01 due to its slow CDAF in low light conditions. PDAF is much better for low light situations in my experience.
03-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #4

Original Poster
Adam, Lightbug, thanks for the replies.

I am not happy with K5 PDAF in low light, so in museums and aquariums I use Liveview and CDAF (which is much slower and noisy). I thought that may be a K-01 is a better choice in such situations (museums and aquariums).

03-24-2017, 04:26 AM   #5
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-01 and a K-5iis. The K-5 series is especially bad in live view. What makes my K-5 so bad is that it needs to move the mirror down then up again to start the exposure, so the delay makes it impossible to catch anything that moves, even slowly, and it makes much more noise than necessary. The K-01 is a true mirror less, so the image is taken with much less delay and noise.

Adam is right that the current DSLRs are quicker then the K-01 in live view focus. I'm not sure which, if any, of the current models still need to move the mirror to take a photo in live view.