Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #1

LCD brightness of K-01 vs. K-x?

I've never seriously considerered the K-01 because I assummed the LCD would be similar to that on my K-x - that is, useless in full sun light. After trying Live View a few times on the K-x, and trying to shoot the occasional video, I just gave up on using the rear LED for anything in sunlight because I simply could not see well enough to compose with any accuracy.

However, I've recently been using a Fuji X-E2, and I'm delighted to discover that some LEDs do work a lot better in sunlight than my K-x.

Can anyone who has used both comment on the relative brightness of the K-01 LED screen vs the K-x?

05-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should be very similar. While you can turn up the brightness through the menu, a proper outdoor brightness option was only added on the K-1 and later models (K-70, KP). I wouldn't recommend the K-01 in bright sunlight unless you fit it with a loupe (in which case it's essentially like the K-50 with a worse viewfinder).
05-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Should be very similar. While you can turn up the brightness through the menu, a proper outdoor brightness option was only added on the K-1 and later models (K-70, KP). I wouldn't recommend the K-01 in bright sunlight unless you fit it with a loupe (in which case it's essentially like the K-50 with a worse viewfinder).
Thanks, but that's what I was afraid of. Since it doesn't look like Pentax is ever going to make another camera in the same size/weight range as the K-01, I guess there is no point in hanging on to my DA Limited primes. Oh well.
05-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
Thanks, but that's what I was afraid of. Since it doesn't look like Pentax is ever going to make another camera in the same size/weight range as the K-01, I guess there is no point in hanging on to my DA Limited primes. Oh well.
The K-50 is pretty close to the K-01 in practice, and way easier to hold IMO. Also the K-S1 if you're looking for a physically small package.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2017, 05:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-50 is pretty close to the K-01 in practice, and way easier to hold IMO. Also the K-S1 if you're looking for a physically small package.
Yes, but I am looking towards the future. That is, if the KS1 is the last small, light camera Pentax will ever make, do I have a future with Pentax?

Right now Pentax looks like a dead end for me.
05-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #6

LCD brightness of K-01 vs. K-x?

I don't have any problem in using the K01 under sun light. Sure is more difficult and not the same as using a Viewfinder, but It gets the work done. I don't think the xe1 or 2 can make it better.
And I'm since years a mirrorless user. I had already Fuji Xt10, xpro 1 and 2. Right now have also a x100f.

If you want to go small in Pentax, try the Pentax KP with primes. It Is small. Take a look in the KP topics. There I put some pics of the Kp beside my 100f.
05-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kape06111 Quote
I don't have any problem in using the K01 under sun light. Sure is more difficult and not the same as using a Viewfinder, but It gets the work done. I don't think the xe1 or 2 can make it better.
And I'm since years a mirrorless user. I had already Fuji Xt10, xpro 1 and 2. Right now have also a x100f.

If you want to go small in Pentax, try the Pentax KP with primes. It Is small. Take a look in the KP topics. There I put some pics of the Kp beside my 100f.
Thanks, but I don't think the KP is going to work for me. Right now I am looking for the Pentax which is closest in size *and weight* to my Fuji XE2, and the K-01 comes a lot closer than the KP.

But back to the LED screens. I've got both, so I know from experience that the back screen on my Pentax Kx is not bright enough for me in bright sun light, but my Fuji XE2 is. The question is, Is the LED screen brightness of the K01 closer to that of the Kx - or the XE2?

I also have a Pentax K3, and I believe the K3 back screen is quite a bit brighter than the Kx, but I've not tried to use the K3 with Live View in bright sun to know how well that works. I'll test that when I get home for another point of reference.

Does the K-01 show the focus point on the LED screen? (My Kx does not.)

05-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is a comparison of three screens that Pentax has used in the past. In all cases, I turned the brightness up as far as it would go. I think the reflection in the wood floor is a good indication of the relative brightness levels.

Center is the 2.7" 230,000 pixel screen on the K20D. I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure this is the same screen used on the K-x.
On the left is the 3" 460,000 pixel screen of the Q.
On the right is the 921,000 pixel screen of the K-01.

In actual use, I find the K-01 a lot better than the Q. I use the K-01 at half brightness, because I find it uncomfortably bright at maximum. With the Q, I have it at maximum brightness and it looks all washed out. Also, the K-01 is five years old and has had heavy use, but the screen's quality has not degraded at all. I never used the K20D's screen in the same way, because it was not a live view camera.

Having said that, the K-5iis that I took this with is better still, because it has the "air-gapless" screen that makes it better view at different angles. Also, I do not have the Fuji X-E2 to compare to, but it appears to have a 1,040,000 pixel screen, so it is probably better still.

In live view the K-01 shows the focus point with a small green box overlaid. The camera also has focus peaking, which is good in manual focus, or if you want to use quick shift.

Last edited by JPT; 05-14-2017 at 12:12 AM.
05-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Here is a comparison of three screens that Pentax has used in the past. In all cases, I turned the brightness up as far as it would go. I think the reflection in the wood floor is a good indication of the relative brightness levels.

Center is the 2.7" 230,000 pixel screen on the K20D. I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure this is the same screen used on the K-x.
On the left is the 3" 460,000 pixel screen of the Q.
On the right is the 921,000 pixel screen of the K-01.

In actual use, I find the K-01 a lot better than the Q. I use the K-01 at half brightness, because I find it uncomfortably bright at maximum. With the Q, I have it at maximum brightness and it looks all washed out. Also, the K-01 is five years old and has had heavy use, but the screen's quality has not degraded at all. I never used the K20D's screen in the same way, because it was not a live view camera.

Having said that, the K-5iis that I took this with is better still, because it has the "air-gapless" screen that makes it better view at different angles. Also, I do not have the Fuji X-E2 to compare to, but it appears to have a 1,040,000 pixel screen, so it is probably better still.

In live view the K-01 shows the focus point with a small green box overlaid. The camera also has focus peaking, which is good in manual focus, or if you want to use quick shift.
Wow! Thanks for taking the time to set up that demo!

I guess, what I need to do is buy a K-01 and see if I can live with it. I am not using my new K-3 at all, so if I can't find something else to put my Pentax prime lenses on, I might as well sell the whole kit.

I am loving the Fuji with the 'kit' zoom, but it's too soon for me to commit to some (expensive) Fuji primes until I'm sure the relationship is going to last. In the meantime, I'd like to use the Pentax primes I've already got.