Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How long can I record video with the K01?

Is it possible to record for 2 hours of video, straight with no interruptions, using the K-01? I'm trying to record client sessions and group sessions for my girlfriend's practice. Right now she uses a GoPro, with an external mic, adapter for that mic, and a whole slew of other gear... and it still doesn't work very well. Recorded files are humongous! They take forever to download to her mac, and then another eternity to compress to a usable format. The K-01 records to a usable format right off the bat, and it has a port for the mic - no adapter needed. So my question is... can it make a 2-hour recording? I know the K-30 is limited to 25 min, but what about the K-01?

Thanks.

Charles.

06-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Never done video with these Pentax but have used others. What you're describing seems more suited for a Video Camera. Set it to Standard definition.
Fast SD card, USB 3 card reader to load to comp. If you want to 'Crunch' video quickly, Fast Processor and a load of RAM.
Good Luck.
06-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Is it possible to record for 2 hours of video, straight with no interruptions, using the K-01?
No. The limits are 4GB or 25 minutes. This is typical for still-camera video and is included as fine print in the user manual (p117). Dedicated camcorders allow longer takes.

Steve
06-08-2017, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

That's why I've always wished for a K-mount camcorder...

06-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, that sucks. We spent a ton of money on the gopro, and it's still only barely adequate. And it looks ridiculous with all the stuff attached and sticking out of it. If the internal mic wasn't so absolutely abysmal it would at least be usable. Combined with the fact the GoPro doesn't compress video internally (meaning a 256GB card can only record a handful of sessions at most), it's really very, very annoying. The only good parts about it is the instant-on-start-recording, and the fact it can be activated and managed via smartphone.

Still looking for a camera that can do decent low-light recording, record many hours in a sitting, and has a microphone that can actually pick up two people talking in the same room.

Charles.
06-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't the 25 minute limit an EU tax thing rather than a hardware limitation?

I think that means you will probably need either a dedicated camcorder or a computer capture solution.

My wife did multi-hour Skype interviews on our mac using webcams that came out remarkably well.

I guess you could use a tethered camera or an IP camera (like a wireless baby monitor camera), but a camcorder would probably be easier...

-Eric
06-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Still looking for a camera that can do decent low-light recording, record many hours in a sitting, and has a microphone that can actually pick up two people talking in the same room.
You might also be able to use the K-01 and K-30 in an alternating fashion. I was interviewed for a documentary a few years ago and the camera person was set up in that fashion with 10 minutes overlap between cameras. Both were up and recording most of the time except for the first 10 minutes. The final project faded between the two.

Steve

06-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My understanding which might be wrong is that in the EU video cameras are taxed at a higher rate compared with cameras.. When a still camera can video over a certain amount of time, they are then taxed as video camera.
Also pentax K01 has a very large sensor compared with normal videos and there is a chance of over heating.

I don't think there is anything you can do with the camera automatically closing down.

---------- Post added 06-09-17 at 01:11 PM ----------

Well, that sucks. We spent a ton of money on the gopro, and it's still only barely adequate. And it looks ridiculous with all the stuff attached and sticking out of it. If the internal mic wasn't so absolutely abysmal it would at least be usable. Combined with the fact the GoPro doesn't compress video internally (meaning a 256GB card can only record a handful of sessions at most), it's really very, very annoying. The only good parts about it is the instant-on-start-recording, and the fact it can be activated and managed via smartphone.

Charles.
I don't expect my pentax cameras to be full on video cameras. I purchased a canon XA20 video camera and sound gear for the big jobs and use my pentaxes and sound gear for small jobs

---------- Post added 06-09-17 at 01:12 PM ----------

Charles.
I don't expect my pentax cameras to be full on video cameras. I purchased a canon XA20 video camera and sound gear for the big jobs and use my pentaxes and sound gear for small jobs
06-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is some interesting discussioin here

K-01's 25 minute movie recording limit? (for 16mm film transfer) - PentaxForums.com
06-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Isn't the 25 minute limit an EU tax thing rather than a hardware limitation?

I think that means you will probably need either a dedicated camcorder or a computer capture solution.

My wife did multi-hour Skype interviews on our mac using webcams that came out remarkably well.

I guess you could use a tethered camera or an IP camera (like a wireless baby monitor camera), but a camcorder would probably be easier...

-Eric
It is my understanding that we have Bill Gates to thank for the 4GB limit. The FAT32 file system used on SD cards up to 32GB has a file-size limit of 4GB. SDXC cards larger than 32GB use the exFAT file system, which removes that file size limitation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

You might try buying a 64GB card. The camera should automatically switch to exFAT. Just make sure that your computer can handle exFAT.
06-23-2017, 02:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Also pentax K01 has a very large sensor compared with normal videos and there is a chance of over heating.
Nope.

I've only had the Temp warning ONCE in several years of heavy use, and that was after the K-01 had been running for 40+ minutes, and then moved in to Direct Sunlight and recording for another 20 minutes, on a 35+ degree Celsius Melbourne day.

In 'normal' use, you will NEVER overheat a K-01.

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
It is my understanding that we have Bill Gates to thank for the 4GB limit. The FAT32 file system used on SD cards up to 32GB has a file-size limit of 4GB. SDXC cards larger than 32GB use the exFAT file system, which removes that file size limitation.
Initially, sure, but the SD-XC cameras still stop, because of the EU taxation.

There is an ML script for the 550D that allows the camera to restart automatically, but there isn't any support for that from any of the manufacturers outside of action cameras and camcorders

---------- Post added 23-06-17 at 07:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I purchased a canon XA20 video camera and sound gear for the big jobs and use my pentaxes and sound gear for small jobs
Should have looked at the XL-H1s, with K-to-EF adaptor and the factory EF-to-XL unit, or the NEX-VG series with K-to-E adaptor
Damn shame they don't make any of them anymore, and I'd love to see Pentax have a go at that style body with IBIS and 4K HDMI out.
06-24-2017, 03:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Wow, apparently EU will tax absolutely anything
10-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #13
Death89

Yep. It's one reason I quite like the Panasonic GH4R in principle. If I ever get another non-Pentax camera that'd likely be it. So flexible in that regard.
10-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.........................Still looking for a camera that can do decent low-light recording, record many hours in a sitting, and has a microphone that can actually pick up two people talking in the same room.

Charles.
Don't know how professional these sessions have to be, but to best capture two people talking, each person should be miked and the two mikes combined in a mixer feeding the camera. Better yet, there are wireless solutions for the mikes and some mini-mixers that do great jobs and are portable. Miking each person will eliminate background sounds and get speech clearer than a single mike located apart from the talent.

I like stevebrot's suggestion for two cameras. It's a bit more professional than using a single camera and moving it from one person to another, and it gets around the memory limit of the camera if the shots are separate takes. If a mixer is used, its output can feed both cameras and you can balance the two levels (when changing shots) in post if need be. Using the same microphone(s) will avoid problems with mismatched audio if two different camera mikes are used.
10-25-2017, 06:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Why everybody insists in feeding the audio to the camera?
It's the worst possible thing to do in terms of quality... for the reasons that have been brought up ad nauseam... bad DSPs, high compression, low sampling rate...

Since Bob 256's solution involves a mixer, why not simply using a recorder? Zoom, Tascam, Olympus, whatever...
As long as it has 2 XLR inputs, it's fine. You don't even need a PC, which you would using an external audio card (bottom dollar is Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, for instance)

BTW, buying a recorder is IMHO money better spent than buying the classic shotgun mic that every "videographer" or "v.-wannabe" has on top of their cameras... and that is seldom used for its intended purpose.