Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Don't care. The goal here is simplicity. Recording client sessions with a single button touch, or activation via a phone app, is what is required. Both parties must be heard, and only the client needs the camera trained on him or her. This is for taking later to a group of other therapists to have the case reviewed. She doesn't want to spend all her time post-processing video. In fact, she's given up on the gopro now because her iPhone propped up on a little plastic stand takes better audio and way more usably-sized video. It's not really wide enough to capture the client's full body, (ticks and gestures and nervous twitches are all important), but it's better than nothing. The mic still isn't great on the iPhone, but it's better than the go-pro and 50 times easier for her to manage.

Charles.

01-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Why everybody insists in feeding the audio to the camera? It's the worst possible thing to do in terms of quality... for the reasons that have been brought up ad nauseam... bad DSPs, high compression, low sampling rate...
I stick my K-01 on top of my Tascam DR-70D, and feed the K-01 with the Tascam's output.
The advantage, is that when I go in to edit and sync the Tascam sound with the K-01 vision, the clapper marks and waveforms on the NLE's timeline are Identical, making it very very easy to line up the two waveforms.

---------- Post added 31-01-18 at 12:19 PM ----------

BTW, buying a recorder is IMHO money better spent than buying the classic shotgun mic that every "videographer" or "v.-wannabe" has on top of their cameras... and that is seldom used for its intended purpose.
He He He,... my Rode NTG-2 is always plugged in to the Tascam, and mounted on a boom arm over the talent
02-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Again, the goal is to do zero post-processing. Still haven't found a solution better than an iPhone after all of this time. That's pretty sad.

Charles.
02-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Have you looked at the Sony VG-20, VG-30 and VG-900?

They're a very good family of video cameras, that use APS-c sensors, and FF in the VG-900, and take E-mount lenses, so any manual lens can also be adapted.
The stock lenses support continuous AF, as does the majority of the Sony E-mount lenses.

The downside to them for me, may be an upside for your usage - they don't have adjustable colour profiles, only 'video' colour, you record what you see on screen, and they have a range of audio options, from the onboard mics to add-on units for broadcast balanced audio input.

They have one major downside in 2018,... HD only, no 4K.

The only current cameras with similar feature set, and that would not need post-processing, would be the Panasonic G7, G85, new G9, up to the GH4, GH5 and GH5s.

---------- Post added 09-02-18 at 11:14 AM ----------

That's why I've always wished for a K-mount camcorder...
A Pentax version of the VG-30, with the KP sensor, and Sensor Shift, Pentax colour profiles, and a high data rate all-i-frame recording format, would be stunning.

Even though I now have an Aja Cion wearing my SMC primes,.. a Pentax Camcorder of this format, would easily become my favorite go-everywhere camera.

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 02-08-2018 at 05:16 PM.