Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 895
How long can I record video with the K01?

Is it possible to record for 2 hours of video, straight with no interruptions, using the K-01? I'm trying to record client sessions and group sessions for my girlfriend's practice. Right now she uses a GoPro, with an external mic, adapter for that mic, and a whole slew of other gear... and it still doesn't work very well. Recorded files are humongous! They take forever to download to her mac, and then another eternity to compress to a usable format. The K-01 records to a usable format right off the bat, and it has a port for the mic - no adapter needed. So my question is... can it make a 2-hour recording? I know the K-30 is limited to 25 min, but what about the K-01?

Thanks.

Charles.

06-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mississippi, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 568
Never done video with these Pentax but have used others. What you're describing seems more suited for a Video Camera. Set it to Standard definition.
Fast SD card, USB 3 card reader to load to comp. If you want to 'Crunch' video quickly, Fast Processor and a load of RAM.
Good Luck.
06-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,281
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Is it possible to record for 2 hours of video, straight with no interruptions, using the K-01?
No. The limits are 4GB or 25 minutes. This is typical for still-camera video and is included as fine print in the user manual (p117). Dedicated camcorders allow longer takes.


Steve
06-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,572
That's why I've always wished for a K-mount camcorder...

06-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 895
Original Poster
Well, that sucks. We spent a ton of money on the gopro, and it's still only barely adequate. And it looks ridiculous with all the stuff attached and sticking out of it. If the internal mic wasn't so absolutely abysmal it would at least be usable. Combined with the fact the GoPro doesn't compress video internally (meaning a 256GB card can only record a handful of sessions at most), it's really very, very annoying. The only good parts about it is the instant-on-start-recording, and the fact it can be activated and managed via smartphone.

Still looking for a camera that can do decent low-light recording, record many hours in a sitting, and has a microphone that can actually pick up two people talking in the same room.

Charles.
06-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 310
Isn't the 25 minute limit an EU tax thing rather than a hardware limitation?

I think that means you will probably need either a dedicated camcorder or a computer capture solution.

My wife did multi-hour Skype interviews on our mac using webcams that came out remarkably well.

I guess you could use a tethered camera or an IP camera (like a wireless baby monitor camera), but a camcorder would probably be easier...

-Eric
06-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,281
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Still looking for a camera that can do decent low-light recording, record many hours in a sitting, and has a microphone that can actually pick up two people talking in the same room.
You might also be able to use the K-01 and K-30 in an alternating fashion. I was interviewed for a documentary a few years ago and the camera person was set up in that fashion with 10 minutes overlap between cameras. Both were up and recording most of the time except for the first 10 minutes. The final project faded between the two.


Steve
06-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Bob from Aus's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,085
My understanding which might be wrong is that in the EU video cameras are taxed at a higher rate compared with cameras.. When a still camera can video over a certain amount of time, they are then taxed as video camera.
Also pentax K01 has a very large sensor compared with normal videos and there is a chance of over heating.

I don't think there is anything you can do with the camera automatically closing down.

---------- Post added 06-09-17 at 01:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Well, that sucks. We spent a ton of money on the gopro, and it's still only barely adequate. And it looks ridiculous with all the stuff attached and sticking out of it. If the internal mic wasn't so absolutely abysmal it would at least be usable. Combined with the fact the GoPro doesn't compress video internally (meaning a 256GB card can only record a handful of sessions at most), it's really very, very annoying. The only good parts about it is the instant-on-start-recording, and the fact it can be activated and managed via smartphone.

Still looking for a camera that can do decent low-light recording, record many hours in a sitting, and has a microphone that can actually pick up two people talking in the same room.

Charles.
I don't expect my pentax cameras to be full on video cameras. I purchased a canon XA20 video camera and sound gear for the big jobs and use my pentaxes and sound gear for small jobs

---------- Post added 06-09-17 at 01:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Well, that sucks. We spent a ton of money on the gopro, and it's still only barely adequate. And it looks ridiculous with all the stuff attached and sticking out of it. If the internal mic wasn't so absolutely abysmal it would at least be usable. Combined with the fact the GoPro doesn't compress video internally (meaning a 256GB card can only record a handful of sessions at most), it's really very, very annoying. The only good parts about it is the instant-on-start-recording, and the fact it can be activated and managed via smartphone.

Still looking for a camera that can do decent low-light recording, record many hours in a sitting, and has a microphone that can actually pick up two people talking in the same room.

Charles.
I don't expect my pentax cameras to be full on video cameras. I purchased a canon XA20 video camera and sound gear for the big jobs and use my pentaxes and sound gear for small jobs

06-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 553
There is some interesting discussioin here

K-01's 25 minute movie recording limit? (for 16mm film transfer) - PentaxForums.com
06-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Village, Ohio USA
Posts: 1,047
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Isn't the 25 minute limit an EU tax thing rather than a hardware limitation?

I think that means you will probably need either a dedicated camcorder or a computer capture solution.

My wife did multi-hour Skype interviews on our mac using webcams that came out remarkably well.

I guess you could use a tethered camera or an IP camera (like a wireless baby monitor camera), but a camcorder would probably be easier...

-Eric
It is my understanding that we have Bill Gates to thank for the 4GB limit. The FAT32 file system used on SD cards up to 32GB has a file-size limit of 4GB. SDXC cards larger than 32GB use the exFAT file system, which removes that file size limitation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

You might try buying a 64GB card. The camera should automatically switch to exFAT. Just make sure that your computer can handle exFAT.
06-23-2017, 02:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian
PiDicus Rex's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,121
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Also pentax K01 has a very large sensor compared with normal videos and there is a chance of over heating.
Nope.

I've only had the Temp warning ONCE in several years of heavy use, and that was after the K-01 had been running for 40+ minutes, and then moved in to Direct Sunlight and recording for another 20 minutes, on a 35+ degree Celsius Melbourne day.

In 'normal' use, you will NEVER overheat a K-01.


QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
It is my understanding that we have Bill Gates to thank for the 4GB limit. The FAT32 file system used on SD cards up to 32GB has a file-size limit of 4GB. SDXC cards larger than 32GB use the exFAT file system, which removes that file size limitation.
Initially, sure, but the SD-XC cameras still stop, because of the EU taxation.

There is an ML script for the 550D that allows the camera to restart automatically, but there isn't any support for that from any of the manufacturers outside of action cameras and camcorders

---------- Post added 23-06-17 at 07:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I purchased a canon XA20 video camera and sound gear for the big jobs and use my pentaxes and sound gear for small jobs
Should have looked at the XL-H1s, with K-to-EF adaptor and the factory EF-to-XL unit, or the NEX-VG series with K-to-E adaptor
Damn shame they don't make any of them anymore, and I'd love to see Pentax have a go at that style body with IBIS and 4K HDMI out.
06-24-2017, 03:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter
shiner's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N GA USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,439
Wow, apparently EU will tax absolutely anything
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, camera, cameras, cards, file, format, gear, gopro, jobs, k-01, k01, mic, minutes, mirrorless, pentax, pentax k-01, people, record, record video, sessions, sound, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Music video with K01 madhurvyas Video and Pentax HDSLRs 15 08-27-2015 09:22 PM
why the K01 is the best timelapse camera around +video eliallan Pentax K-01 24 06-14-2014 08:08 PM
I-10 record movie time limit per video Agahnim Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 06-02-2013 05:20 AM
Thumping clicking sound in video record mode Ianmac Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 08-08-2012 01:20 PM
Broken Record, part II : return of the record Gooshin Post Your Photos! 5 09-14-2008 03:21 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:14 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top