Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-01 Battery/Charger question

I recently purchased a K-01 camera on ebay to be converted to full spectrum which went well.

I was swapping out the battery with a fully charged D-Li90 (which I also use for my K-1) and happened to notice that the K-01 battery (that came with the camera) has four contacts as does the charger and the camera.

Regular Pentax D-Li90s have three contacts as do the Watson batteries which work in both cameras fine (as far as I know). My K-1 charger has three contacts.

I guess my question is, are the three and four terminal batteries interchangeable? Can I charge a three terminal battery in the four terminal charger?

Thanks

09-13-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
I recently purchased a K-01 camera on ebay to be converted to full spectrum which went well.

I was swapping out the battery with a fully charged D-Li90 (which I also use for my K-1) and happened to notice that the K-01 battery (that came with the camera) has four contacts as does the charger and the camera.

Regular Pentax D-Li90s have three contacts as do the Watson batteries which work in both cameras fine (as far as I know). My K-1 charger has three contacts.

I guess my question is, are the three and four terminal batteries interchangeable? Can I charge a three terminal battery in the four terminal charger?

Thanks
Yes they are interchangeable AFAIK, the 4th contact was added for health & safety reasons and is present on the D-Li90(E), which is the current battery being made for new cameras.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes they are interchangeable AFAIK, the 4th contact was added for health & safety reasons and is present on the D-Li90(E), which is the current battery being made for new cameras.
Any idea of the specifics of those reasons? Wondering if there are do's/dont's to be aware of with the 3 contact versions. Temperature monitoring while charging?
09-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Any idea of the specifics of those reasons? Wondering if there are do's/dont's to be aware of with the 3 contact versions. Temperature monitoring while charging?
I'm not sure about the specifics of the Pentax battery, but the 4th contact could be a temperature sensor to cut the current if there's a malfunction. I believe it's only used by the charger.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are actually clearly marked inside the small circle on the Pentax branded and non branded batteries I have.
"+", "T", "-" are shown for me.
The 4th pin is more of a plastic placeholder/dummy and not a metal or contact pin. So the 4th pin if present could indicate the battery size I am thinking or a second negative "-" that catered to the older designs which required a second negative return for some oddly placed circuits.
09-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
They are actually clearly marked inside the small circle on the Pentax branded and non branded batteries I have.
"+", "T", "-" are shown for me.
The 4th pin is more of a plastic placeholder/dummy and not a metal or contact pin. So the 4th pin if present could indicate the battery size I am thinking or a second negative "-" that catered to the older designs which required a second negative return for some oddly placed circuits.
That's the case with the newer batteries (the K-1 Pentax battery and the Watson subs). The one that came with the K-01 had the fourth pin but I wouldn't think it was a second negative because it's addressed by the charger (which also came with the K-01). If it was just a second negative, the charger wouldn't need a connection to it. Also (see below), there is no voltage on it relative to the positive pin. As you mentioned, the center pin in the 3 pin versions has a T labeled on it. The battery with the 4th terminal has a label of D on it.

Interestingly, Voltage can be measured from the T pin to the positive terminal (but not the negative) and is about 0.01 volts less that + to -. It could possibly be a connection to a current monitoring resistor on the negative battery return.

Measurements between the D pin and either the + or - pin, behave like a capacitor is involved. A voltage can initially be measured but decays to zero in a short time as would happen when a capacitor charges.

One of these days when my battery gives up, I'm going to take a look inside and see what circuit is used. So far however, I haven't seen a problem using either the 4 pin or the 3 pin batteries in my K-01. I would assume it will work in my K-1 since the K-1 makes no connection to the D terminal and uses only the + and - connections which are the same in 3 or 4 pin batteries. For now, I'll charge the batteries in their respective chargers so as not to run afoul with any charge limiting differences in the two charger types.
09-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #7

Interesting, stuff, never really paid much attention to it. FWIW: My K50 has a four terminal battery and the charger has four terminals but the camera only uses three so that 'D' terminal must have something to do with charging, as someone has suggested.