Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2017, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Where can we see this? I know a few users here had their K-01 converted to IR or full spectrum, but I only ever saw half a dozen photos taken with these cameras. Looked really interesting, though

I have some of my earlier photos taken with one of my IR-converted K-01 bodies (I have two of these -- the other is a backup body) with the DA15/4 Ltd mounted on it at The DA 15/4 Limited Does Infrared - PentaxForums.com

12-09-2017, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Where can we see this? I know a few users here had their K-01 converted to IR or full spectrum, but I only ever saw half a dozen photos taken with these cameras. Looked really interesting, though
Here are some IR shots made with my converted K-01. I was using a Hoya RM90 filter which cuts on beyond 800nm, and a Pentax 18-55mm DAL lens. The shots were converted to monochrome, and then duo or tri-tone images so the colorations have been artificially introduced after the fact.

I'm also attaching a photo of the small UV/IR cutoff filter that Isaac Szabo (who does conversions) removed from the K-01 to convert it to a full-spectrum camera. It has a bluish appearance but is compensated for by the K-01 if in the image path, to obtain normal visible light photos. A Fotga UV/IR cutoff filter can be used on the lens with a converted camera which converts it back to a regular visible light camera.

The K-01 is ideal for an IR camera since it doesn't have an optical viewfinder which is useless for IR (the IR filter over the lens blocks out all visible light). The IR image can be viewed for focusing and adjustment purposes with the LED screen.

A great use for the K-01
Attached Images

12-13-2017, 12:34 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still using mine and now going out to find another one. I use a clearviewer on mine and this takes it close to my face and blocks the sun. I like this so much I cant go back to using my K5
When I travel I use my Oly EM10, but there is still something I enjoy about my K-01
Took today,
12-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
I use a clearviewer on mine and this takes it close to my face and blocks the sun. I like this so much I cant go back to using my K5

I just took a look at the ClearViewer site, and am interested. Just curious, zippy -- do you have the tripod-socket-mount version or the hotshoe-mount version?

12-14-2017, 12:53 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I just took a look at the ClearViewer site, and am interested. Just curious, zippy -- do you have the tripod-socket-mount version or the hotshoe-mount version?
I have the tripod mount.
The only draw back I see is the camera will not sit flat and rolls towards the lens. I have tried a hoodman which works great but is bulky and a flip digiscreen but I find I always trying to lift the top flap to see info along top edge. The clearviewer works great as you can place your hand along the top of the camera and block the sun, now when you zoom you remove your hand and sun may glare . Same problem maybe for using manual lenses. The tripod adapter screw works great for the Q cameras but not so good for the K-01, I would not recommend.
I should add I wear glasses and have no problems

Below show tripod adapter and normal

Last edited by zippythezip; 12-14-2017 at 01:02 AM.
12-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is either of you familiar with the VF-4 which is an enclosed viewer for around $100US? I have been considering buying one as it appears they may have discontinued making it. I've seen it recommended elsewhere in this forum and it should be immune to glare. I believe it also attaches via a quick mount thingamigig which attaches to the K-01 tripod thread. Looks more bulky than the ClearViewer but has some advantages being enclosed.
12-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Is either of you familiar with the VF-4 which is an enclosed viewer for around $100US? I have been considering buying one as it appears they may have discontinued making it. I've seen it recommended elsewhere in this forum and it should be immune to glare. I believe it also attaches via a quick mount thingamigig which attaches to the K-01 tripod thread. Looks more bulky than the ClearViewer but has some advantages being enclosed.
I have not tried the VF-4 but I have seen a few photos of cameras with it attached. The closest I have is a "Hoodman" and attach it to the K-01 with elastics that are used to hold hair in place, forget the name.
Its great but with added bulk you would be better off getting an old K5.

12-19-2017, 12:26 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Pentaxian

I only have a K-01 and still take wonderful photos with it. It's a very good camera.

(Sorry for sensor dust)
12-20-2017, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I only have a K-01 and still take wonderful photos with it. It's a very good camera.

(Sorry for sensor dust)
I like that one. Sensor dust and all.

Thanks.

---------- Post added 12-20-2017 at 10:37 AM ----------

This is what it looks like at my house this morning. Yours looks wayyy more inviting.

(Sorry, taken with the K5 II s, not the K-01.)
12-20-2017, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 16Mp sensor in the K-01 / K-30 / K-50 / K-5 cameras is sublime, even with 12-bIt RAWs. The K-01 is worth buying if only for that sensor.
12-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still use the K-0. Like the camera's simplicity. As monochrome mentions the 16mp sensor is a beautiful performer. The K-01also makes a great 2nd camera.

Now I am admiring the converted IR images. May need a 2nd k-01!
Thanks
barondla
12-22-2017, 09:33 PM - 4 Likes   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-01 is used frequently. It's a joy to use within its limitations. If mine were to break, I'd buy another.

12-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
My K-01 is used frequently. It's a joy to use within its limitations. If mine were to break, I'd buy another.
Nice cat pics, luftfluss.

When I bought my first K-01, I quickly decided I wanted another, converted to IR. Then, I decided since the K-01 is now a "legacy" body, to obtain two more low-mileage K-01's (one of which I also had converted to IR), so that I had two K-01 backup bodies (one "normal" and one IR). However, my two "user" K-01's seem so reliable that I'm realizing that I probably didn't really need backups, in which case, if I ever did have one "bite the dust", I' d just pick up a replacement. (?)

It sure would be nice if Pentax/Ricoh updated the firmware for KAF4 lenses, though...