Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2018, 12:16 AM   #1

Live view on K-01 ? use for microphotography

Hi,

Would like to use a mirrorless camera to mount on the microscopes to eliminate vibrations when shutter is released.
So, does K-01 allows live view, so HDMI monitor can be used to focus microscope images? Would eliminate use of thiny screen on the body.
My K-7 does, but is heavy on the microscope and some vibrations even when using remote.
My Q7 does not ...

Thanks,
Joris

02-14-2018, 12:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-01 will allow Live View but the shutter will vibrate too. The K-1 and KP have electronic first shutters as an option, Joris.

02-14-2018, 12:47 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeve398 Quote
Hi,

Would like to use a mirrorless camera to mount on the microscopes to eliminate vibrations when shutter is released.
So, does K-01 allows live view, so HDMI monitor can be used to focus microscope images? Would eliminate use of thiny screen on the body.
My K-7 does, but is heavy on the microscope and some vibrations even when using remote.
My Q7 does not ...

Thanks,
Joris
Hi Joris. I can't assist regarding the K-01, I'm afraid, though I'm sure some of our other members can respond.

Regarding shake from the K-7, can I ask whether you're photographing live or preserved samples? If preserved only, using longer shutter speeds (I personally aim for at least five seconds, often longer) will mitigate any shake at the beginning and end of the shutter action. You can achieve these speeds by keeping the ISO at its lowest setting, and reducing the microscope illumination.

It's also important that your microscope is standing on a firm base that doesn't pick up or transmit vibration. Initially, I had mine sat on a fairly heavy desk in my home office, however the desk was stood on a carpeted floor. I increased the sharpness of my photographs by moving the microscope to a hard kitchen work-surface.

The method of camera-to-microscope coupling makes a big difference, too. The longer the connecting tube, the more the camera will vibrate during shutter actuation. I have my K-5 fitted with a short x2 optical adapter that slots into the eyepiece tube of my binocular microscope. This has minimal extension, and is tightly coupled to the optical path of the microscope, so if the camera moves, the microscope moves with it and vice versa.

Have you considered that what you perceive as a lack of sharpness may in fact be lack of contrast? Unless your photographs are for scientific purposes, it's worth considering different illumination methods. Standard bright-field illumination leads to rather low-contrast images. I've been playing around with oblique illumination, using a home-made filter cut from black cardboard. See below - the first image is the bright-field example, while the second is the oblique. Both images were sharpened in Lightroom 6.

Lastly, the depth of field of these images is tiny. Stacking multiple images with different focus points will bring out a lot more detail.

If I'm explaining things you're already aware of, my apologies - but I thought these points were worth mentioning. I'm still a beginner at this myself!
Attached Images

02-14-2018, 06:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a couple moving parts in a DSLR. Mirror and shutter are two. Mirrorless don't have a mirror. Mirror slap is a big cause of vibrations. But most cameras allow mirror lockup, where mirror is moved before the photo is taken so there are fewer vibrations. Pentax cameras do this when you select 2 sec timer.
The K-01 does not have mirror, but it still has shutter. Shutter does not cause a lot of vibrations. If you use tripod, remote trigger and 2 sec timer, you should get pretty clean photos. Add flash and PP digital sharpening and they will be stunningly full of detail.
I am not sure, I never tried that. Pentax is not great when it comes to tethering, but there are some threads and blog posts about this. You need a certain type of software.

02-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure the K-01's HDMI-out is playback mode only, and LiveView only works over the regular A/V-out. It's been a common complaint over the years. If you search the K-01 forum, you should find several threads about it.
02-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
All,
thanks for all the replies, really helpfull.

My work area is really solid, so do not expect any vibrations from that.
Camera to microscope coupling is also sturdy.

@BigMacCam, thanks for the suggestion on the longer exposure time, will certainly try that out !
I'm always using the fastest speed as possible, will have to adapt at using slow speed.

I'm really supprised that the oblique illumination makes such a difference, another setup to try out
A pitty that the K-01 (and also Q7) do not have live view.

Greets,
Joris
02-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Joris,
You can see what you're imaging on the K-01 LCD and you can electronically zoom it to get very good focusing (focus sharpening can also be applied to the display). While in liveview, press the ok button and use the rear dial to zoom. Hitting the shutter release half-way returns you to normal magnification. The K-01 also has an infrared shutter trip that allows you to trip the shutter without touching the camera if you have the remote.

The "kick" from the K-01 shutter is pretty light so it shouldn't contribute much vibration when taking a shot. Some of the other suggestions given previously will really help and I think the K-01 would make a great camera for a microscope. I use one for infrared shooting (having it modified with the IR/UV filter removed), and it's a nice little camera in many ways.

Last edited by Bob 256; 02-14-2018 at 04:13 PM.