Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #1

K-01 randomly restarting itself

So I have a K-01 that I really haven't used all that much. But when I took it out recently it has been randomly restarting - LCD screen will go blank, a few seconds later the startup splash screen reappears and it works again. Usually when I take a picture this happens, sometimes the picture will be saved but often it is lost. Sometimes even just turning the dials triggered a restart.

Tried different batteries (fully charged) and different SD cards, issue persists. Latest firmware (1.05) as well.

Seems to get much worse / more frequent after a bit of use. Actually fine for a while initially when cold, but then the issue comes back after it warms up a bit.

So is my K-01 destined for the trash heap? Would be sad as it probably has <1000 shutter count on it, the body is in great condition otherwise, but I'm not about to pay more for repair than the camera is worth.

Curious if anyone has successfully done a DIY repair on that sort of thing, or can think of a good use for an otherwise like-new K-01 body with a flaky power circuit? (this is what I suspect due to the issue getting worse after it warms up). I was considering taking it apart just to see if I can spot any loose connections or bad solder joints/visibly failing components before I send it to the recycler...

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

03-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does the LCD screen show the battery condition (before it shuts down)? I know you mentioned that the batteries are good, but there could be connection issues or the batteries (if old) may have issues even though they appear to be fully charged. I have one Pentax battery I use with my K-1 which develops some kind of film on its terminals, and when I put it in my camera, it only last a few seconds. Cleaning the terminals fixes the problem for a few months and then I have to clean them again. (Wish battery makers would go to gold flashed contacts!)

It definitely sound's like a power issue. You could try jumpering an external power supply directly to the battery terminals (see recent post about using power supply) to rule out the batteries as the culprit. If the K-01 doesn't work with proper voltage directly applied to the power terminals, it's a camera issue and may be worth a repair or replacement (K-01s are going for about $250US on ebay).

Cheap bench top power supply - PentaxForums.com

PS If you do decide to trash your K-01, list it here as a parts only discard and someone will snatch it up.

Last edited by Bob 256; 03-12-2018 at 08:06 AM.
03-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yeah, could be something as simple as a dirty battery contact. Or all your batteries could be bad too -- do you use them for other bodies or have they been sitting around forever too? A bad charger not really charging the batteries [or ruining them] is another possibility, less likely.
03-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phlobus Quote
So I have a K-01 that I really haven't used all that much. But when I took it out recently it has been randomly restarting - LCD screen will go blank, a few seconds later the startup splash screen reappears and it works again. Usually when I take a picture this happens, sometimes the picture will be saved but often it is lost. Sometimes even just turning the dials triggered a restart.

Tried different batteries (fully charged) and different SD cards, issue persists. Latest firmware (1.05) as well.

Seems to get much worse / more frequent after a bit of use. Actually fine for a while initially when cold, but then the issue comes back after it warms up a bit.

So is my K-01 destined for the trash heap? Would be sad as it probably has <1000 shutter count on it, the body is in great condition otherwise, but I'm not about to pay more for repair than the camera is worth.

Curious if anyone has successfully done a DIY repair on that sort of thing, or can think of a good use for an otherwise like-new K-01 body with a flaky power circuit? (this is what I suspect due to the issue getting worse after it warms up). I was considering taking it apart just to see if I can spot any loose connections or bad solder joints/visibly failing components before I send it to the recycler...

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!
I'd test it with another battery, as this does sound like a battery-related issue perhaps.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Could also be a problem with the internal little battery inside the camera.
03-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions! The battery indicator in the LCD shows full charge, and the battery was fresh off the charger. All of my batteries are a bit on the old side - the 2 "genuine" Pentax ones are from 2010 and 2012, and two aftermarket ones that are a bit newer - but they all seem to work fine in my K-7, easily getting several hundred shots before needing a charge. I might spring for a new one just as a test, I can always use it in another body (thankfully Pentax kept the same battery over the years!).

The other odd thing, which is what makes me think it is heat related, is that if I give the K-01 a rest for a while, it will work for a bit. As you shoot, the problem gets more frequent until it is basically unusable. This is without changing the battery or anything.

Regardless, if I can't make it work, I'll offer it up here as a parts/repair project instead of tossing it.
Many thanks for the suggestions!
03-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phlobus Quote
.................The other odd thing, which is what makes me think it is heat related, is that if I give the K-01 a rest for a while, it will work for a bit. As you shoot, the problem gets more frequent until it is basically unusable. This is without changing the battery or anything...........
Try swapping out a battery after the camera gets "unstable" before it has a chance to rest and see if that fixes the issue or at least improves it. If not, then you're probably right and it's a camera issue.
03-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #8

I have similar issues with my K-01. It looks like restart happens when I touch the on-off control. Not always, but 2-5 times per my usual session(few hours). Heat is hardly the problem, happened in pretty cold environment too. Although it takes time to start doing this, I must admit. I though that old battery may be the reason for this behavior, but I don't have a fresh one to test the theory.
Frankly, it does not affects me seriously so far. This is happening for more than a year now, and still happens not that often so I just carry on.

Re-read your symptoms and I see mine are not quite the same. My camera never restarted in the middle of something so far, only when idle.

Not sure how that helps... you-are-not-alone way I guess

03-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #9

I have the same problem and I also think it is the on-off control button, the metal contact has lost its strength/flexibility over time, I took mine apart (require taking the top off) and bend the metal contacts a bit and the problem go away.

Last edited by protocold; 08-29-2018 at 10:22 PM.
03-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by protocold Quote
I took mine apart (require taking the top off) and ben the metal
Oh boy. No, I am not there yet. But its good to know that something could be done.
03-22-2018, 06:04 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just a thought

I've not had the same problem - mine was the camera forgetting date/time setting every time it was switched off. I had not used the camera for several months. What fixed mine was to reload the firmware (much to my surprise, as I thought the problem was physical).
So it wouldn't hurt to try - just make sure the battery is fully charged before you do
03-22-2018, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by vrphoto Quote
reload the firmware
What if it will restart during update? No thanks.