Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2018, 02:03 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In praise of the K-01 for events

Yesterday I shot a work event, a large group gathering with executives. Typical stuff around here - terrible lighting, lots of faces, and a request for "some good photos" for the newsletter.

Normally I would bring out a DSLR to shoot something like this. But yesterday I thought I would use the K-01. It worked out very well, and I think I will use the K-01 for all such requests in the future.

I configured the camera with a folding external flash bracket, onto which I put a Pentax AF 200FG. The FG is a sturdy, reliable little flash, and I appreciate it's simple exposure compensation dial. Combined with P-TTL shooting, it's a quick and reliable way to use flash. I connected the flash to the camera with an off-brand Pentax P-TTL cable, allowing full P-TTL communication away from the hotshoe. With the flash on the flash bracket, I could shoot both horizontal and vertical framing by flipping the arm up or down. I could also bounce the flash off the ceiling because the P-TTL cable has its own adjustable, lockable head at the flash end, where it mates up between the flash bracket shoe and the bottom of the flash.

I brought a couple of options along for lenses, in case I needed to go wide or to have more reach. But I shot the entire event with the FA 43mm, which provided nice facial closeups and moderate group shots just by zooming with my feet. The 43mm is bright enough to use as an available light lens, but popping the 200FG against the ceiling at -1 exposure gave everything a nice fill and improved the colour of the terrible flourescents.

The camera itself is un-threatening, but combined with the flash bracket it can't be ignored. I don't mind, because subjects who are aware of the camera are often more cooperative in such situations. They quickly learn to ignore it, which is the perfect balance. They pay attention, but don't ham it up.

The best part was never having to wonder about the focus point. Regardless of the care and preparation I make, shooting DSLRs at events like this I find yields about an 80% hit rate on focus. With the K-01 100% of what I shot had the focus where I want. Perhaps it's the way of shooting ... I can see and confirm the focus point on the screen before I release the shutter. Perhaps it's the AF system being able to rely on the contrast on the actual sensor itself. Either way, my results are better, and I am happier. (It could simply be the size of the viewfinder, as I have similar good results shooting with a waist-level finder on medium format cameras.)

Do you use your K-01 to shoot events or anything for other people (clients, portrait subjects, etc)?

04-12-2018, 11:12 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the K-01 is the most under rated camera body Pentax has ever made, and that I own. My K-01 will go for months unused, and I get the thought about selling it. Then I take it out for a spin and and then get re-reminded what a great camera body it is, and that there's no way I'm parting with it. I typically will put my FA31 on it and I use if for street photography, and it's the camera that I take to parties and dinners. And nobody knows what the heck it is when they see it. I love shooting black and white images with it (I shoot in RAW, so I always have the option of using the color version). Images are always tack sharp (I concur about the 100% hit rate on auto focus), and the FA31's pixie dust shines on the K-01 in a way that it doesn't shine on the other crop sensor bodies. I got my K-01 body at the end of the run, when Pentax was unloading them for pennies on the dollar, and you couldn't hardly give one away. Did I need it? No. But I'm very happy I purchased it. Yes, it has limitations. Yes, there are limitations, functions it doesn't have that other bodies have. But what it does do... it excels at.
04-13-2018, 01:37 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Forum Member

I love the K-01. I have shot some fantastic pics with it that rival the pics I have shot with my K-1. Great sensor and compact body.
04-19-2018, 01:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am also sorry that Pentax did not go further with this concept. Sony is making big inroads with mirrorless cameras, and there is a lot of talk that Nikon and Canon had better get more seriously on that bus because the DSLR’s days may be numbered.

Pentax was way ahead of the pack, as it often has been in the past. I’d buy a K-02 with an articulated screen and an EVF in a heartbeat, and it wouldn’t even have to be a designer product.

07-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Did you have issues with shutter lag? I often miss action shots due to its dismal lag, which is like 1/2sec it seems.
07-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Did you have issues with shutter lag? I often miss action shots due to its dismal lag, which is like 1/2sec it seems.
That depends a lot on the light and lens used.
07-05-2018, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No issues, because an event like this is just people standing around, talking to each other. Simple to prefocus on the eyes, reframe while holding the button half depressed, and then release the shutter when the moment is right.

On the other hand - I took my K-01 to the flying field and was shooting RC aircraft. Oh boy, that was a disaster. With my K5 and an old 400mm AF lens, I get tons of keepers. With the K-01 it was an exercise in masochism - missed focus and shutter lag. The K-01 is not for "things in flight"!

Horses for courses -- one of the reasons Pentax should offer both DSLR and mirrorless cameras.

07-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very happy with my K-01 (my only digital camera - not that I use my film cameras much). I don't shoot events particularly, but do sometimes shoot concerts (if and only if I know the musicians). That is the only situation in which I sometimes pest against the camera - because of the buffer filling up and the camera locking up for a few seconds before letting me work the shutter again.
07-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
Unregistered User

I love my K-01. The "always on" live view makes using my homemade lenses a snap—the soft focus effects don't render properly in a DSLR viewfinder.

And it has a green button, making exposures easy with these homemade lenses as well:

07-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I finally got one too. a couple months ago I got one but had some issues with it so I had to regretfully send it back. but I liked it so much I HAD to get one. it is now the main camera I always have in my car when I cant take my K3 and K5 with me, due to the fact that it is very compact compared to the other two cameras that have battery grips on them. this camera is taking a little gettin used to but I am learning it and actually enjoy using it. will post pics of mine soon.
07-07-2018, 04:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
I am learning it and actually enjoy using it. will post pics of mine soon.
Yes, it's definitely fun to use!
And, for fully manual lenses, simple as simple gets.
07-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
Yes, it's definitely fun to use!
And, for fully manual lenses, simple as simple gets.
That is if the screen is clearly visible. An EVF is the ultimate MF tool, and I sometimes miss that with the K-01.
07-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Yesterday I shot a work event, a large group gathering with executives. Typical stuff around here - terrible lighting, lots of faces, and a request for "some good photos" for the newsletter.

Normally I would bring out a DSLR to shoot something like this. But yesterday I thought I would use the K-01. It worked out very well, and I think I will use the K-01 for all such requests in the future.

I configured the camera with a folding external flash bracket, onto which I put a Pentax AF 200FG. The FG is a sturdy, reliable little flash, and I appreciate it's simple exposure compensation dial. Combined with P-TTL shooting, it's a quick and reliable way to use flash. I connected the flash to the camera with an off-brand Pentax P-TTL cable, allowing full P-TTL communication away from the hotshoe. With the flash on the flash bracket, I could shoot both horizontal and vertical framing by flipping the arm up or down. I could also bounce the flash off the ceiling because the P-TTL cable has its own adjustable, lockable head at the flash end, where it mates up between the flash bracket shoe and the bottom of the flash.

I brought a couple of options along for lenses, in case I needed to go wide or to have more reach. But I shot the entire event with the FA 43mm, which provided nice facial closeups and moderate group shots just by zooming with my feet. The 43mm is bright enough to use as an available light lens, but popping the 200FG against the ceiling at -1 exposure gave everything a nice fill and improved the colour of the terrible flourescents.

The camera itself is un-threatening, but combined with the flash bracket it can't be ignored. I don't mind, because subjects who are aware of the camera are often more cooperative in such situations. They quickly learn to ignore it, which is the perfect balance. They pay attention, but don't ham it up.

The best part was never having to wonder about the focus point. Regardless of the care and preparation I make, shooting DSLRs at events like this I find yields about an 80% hit rate on focus. With the K-01 100% of what I shot had the focus where I want. Perhaps it's the way of shooting ... I can see and confirm the focus point on the screen before I release the shutter. Perhaps it's the AF system being able to rely on the contrast on the actual sensor itself. Either way, my results are better, and I am happier. (It could simply be the size of the viewfinder, as I have similar good results shooting with a waist-level finder on medium format cameras.)

Do you use your K-01 to shoot events or anything for other people (clients, portrait subjects, etc)?
This is a fun little write up, glad it worked out so well! I use my K-01 mostly for landscapes and stuff, but I can see the argument for a fun and non-imposing event camera body.
07-12-2018, 03:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

That is if the screen is clearly visible.
Well, I'm "lucky" in that regard: I'm very much near-sighted, and hold the camera quite close to my face while looking over my glasses, so haven't had any problems with washed-out screens that are unreadable from arm's length. I sometimes miss the (optical) viewfinder experience though (especially for framing landscapes - I find I don't 'see' what I'm looking at in the same way on the LCD screen).

An EVF is the ultimate MF tool, and I sometimes miss that with the K-01.
I've tried a few EVF's, and they're not for me. I feel trapped inside a tv screen. I think the reason I don't mind the LCD screen is that I still see 'real' reality around it.
07-12-2018, 03:23 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
but I can see the argument for a fun and non-imposing event camera body.
Absolutely. People are often amused or curious about the camera, rather than awed.