Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
stabilized mirrorless bodies for mounting my M42 lenses?

i've got a bunch of old M42 lenses, as i'm sure many of you do as well, and they don't get much attention. Was wondering if there are relatively cheap, stabilized (i'm pretty shaky), mirrorless bodies for which i could get M42 adapters and put these dusty hunks of glass to good use.

i was looking at the Canon EOS M100, except it isn't stabilized. It's nice and small tho with a good sensor.

You know, something with a liveview screen that has focus peaking. Don't really want to go M4/3 because then i'll have a bunch of even more telephoto glass.

05-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The new Fujifilm X-H1 has in-body stabilization and M42 adapters are available for the X mount. It is not cheap, though.
05-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

There are numerous bodies available, but if you want the full character of those lenses as they were originally intended to be used, I'd suggest a full-frame sensor body. To keep the budget down, that really means a Sony A7. It's not stabilised, but if you keep the shutter speed above 1 / focal length, you should be fine. If not, raise the shutter speed even higher. I don't have the steadiest hands either, and using that rule I can still capture sharp photos without any obvious signs of shake.

If you want cheaper still, you're looking at an APS-C or smaller sensor, and possibly something without a viewfinder. If that's acceptable, then any of the Sony NEX cameras could be an excellent choice. Plenty of used models around to choose from, and as a result the prices are pretty competitive - but the image quality is very good indeed. You could even add a "speed booster" / focal length reducer and get almost-full-frame field of view, albeit with some impact on image quality away from the centre of the frame. Again, the reciprocal rule applies on shutter speed, but for APS-C it's 1 / focal length x 1.5 (to compensate for the x1.5 crop).
05-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by conradj Quote
Don't really want to go M4/3 because then i'll have a bunch of even more telephoto glass.
Well if you use the cheap speedboost/focal reduce adapters the crop is 1.4x which is less that the Canon crop.This give one lens 2 FLs and speeds which at times may be an advantage.
Olympus IBIS is pretty good,Panasonic is reasonable...

05-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
Actually, i'm leaning towards no viewfinder. You know, a single focal length, manual focus point and shooter. As long as it has focus peaking and is fairly small, i could retire my P&S cam.
05-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, i'm leaning towards no viewfinder. You know, a single focal length, manual focus point and shooter. As long as it has focus peaking and is fairly small, i could retire my P&S cam.

In which case, you're almost certainly looking at an APS-C body.

For APS-C, note that the field of view from your lenses will be cropped (since the sensor is cropped from size those lenses were designed for). As such, 50mm will feel more like a short-tele / portrait lens... 28 to 35mm is good for general use... for wide angle, you'll need to be looking at 24mm or wider lenses.

I mention this because most people that have accumulated a bunch of old lenses without specifically looking for wide angle models will typically have focal lengths from 28mm upwards. If that describes you, bear in mind that you won't have wide-angle capability unless you add a 24mm or wider lens, and the prices of those tend to be higher than the more common models from 28mm upwards.
05-12-2018, 04:35 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd suggest the Pentax K-01 with a Pentax Mount Adapter K. The K-01 is a great camera body. I haven't used it with any M42 lenses but I have used it with the FA31, and it really shines.

05-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Surprised that no one's mentioned the Pentax K1. Full frame, excellent IBIS, and it's used price is down to the $1200 - $1300 range these days...

I only use MF lenses on my K1. I focus using live view and a Zacuto viewfinder. I've never used the K1's optical viewfinder. So you might say that I've never used my K1's mirror and use it as a mirrorless camera.

I have many M42 lenses that I use on my K1.

K1 + M42 = Fun, and terrific image quality!
05-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You know, a single focal length
i've got a bunch of old M42 lenses
So which one?
05-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Surprised that no one's mentioned the Pentax K1. Full frame, excellent IBIS, and it's used price is down to the $1200 - $1300 range these days...

I have many M42 lenses that I use on my K1. Fun, reasonably lightweight, and terrific image quality!

It's not mirrorless, nor cheap. Two requirement from the OP.
05-12-2018, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
It's not mirrorless, nor cheap. Two requirement from the OP.
Sorry, I guess I missed the part where he told us his budget. Where did he say that again?
05-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

relatively cheap, stabilized (i'm pretty shaky), mirrorless bodies
Pen olympus bodies will be the first to look at(speed booster adapter)
05-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sony A7 III would seem like a good choice

i've got a bunch of old M42 lenses, as i'm sure many of you do as well, and they don't get much attention. Was wondering if there are relatively cheap, stabilized (i'm pretty shaky), mirrorless bodies for which i could get M42 adapters and put these dusty hunks of glass to good use.

i was looking at the Canon EOS M100, except it isn't stabilized. It's nice and small tho with a good sensor.

You know, something with a liveview screen that has focus peaking. Don't really want to go M4/3 because then i'll have a bunch of even more telephoto glass.
05-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Sony A7 III would seem like a good choice
"relatively cheap".???
05-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like the Panasonic GX-7. It has IBIS a 16mp sensor and it does have viewfinder but it is reasonably small and not super expensive.