Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Advice of using the K-01 for cooking video

Hi all, my K-01 is not getting a lot of use these days. I shot mainly with my K-3. Wifey is now taking an interest in making cooking videos and I wanted to help as much as I can.

The longer term solution the way I see it is to buy a better camera optimized for video (I have the Canon 200D in sight) but I thought hey why not give the K-01 a try?

This is the shooting condition:
1) camera mounted on tripod on extension column via super clamp.
2) No sound
3) External lighting via LED lights, etc

The main issue with the K-01 is that it does not continuous AF during video mode and when i press the AF button, the AF hunts a bit and this is distracting for the viewer.

So I would like to ask what are the tips of using the K-01 in this manner?

Thanks

07-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't seen any videos on cooking with a K-01... yet, but I bet one comes out... (Sorry just a grammar joke...)
With productions videos most are made by making scenes as opposed to running the entire activity through in one continuous take. (That's a lot of pressure on the cook too!)
I would suggest a little pre planning, where you figure out, in advance, at what point you may need to do a scene change that requires a refocus and the edit and splice afterward... (It's handy to have a digital recorder and mic so you can continue the dialogue through your sliced scenes...) Any good and inexpensive one will do... look on B&H they start about $99.
07-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Hi all, my K-01 is not getting a lot of use these days. I shot mainly with my K-3. Wifey is now taking an interest in making cooking videos and I wanted to help as much as I can.

The longer term solution the way I see it is to buy a better camera optimized for video (I have the Canon 200D in sight) but I thought hey why not give the K-01 a try?

This is the shooting condition:
1) camera mounted on tripod on extension column via super clamp.
2) No sound
3) External lighting via LED lights, etc

The main issue with the K-01 is that it does not continuous AF during video mode and when i press the AF button, the AF hunts a bit and this is distracting for the viewer.

So I would like to ask what are the tips of using the K-01 in this manner?

Thanks
Was it the info auto or manual, you want ? Small size is what like the best re learning and trying mostly. Currently Pentax 16-45mm but bulked out a bit. Choices and pentax 12-24 heavy. Couple old manual zoom. all fun anyhow. Cheers
07-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's true the K-01 is not ideal for video but it is usable. By far the most important thing as mentioned above is the pre-planning.
A useful tool is the storyboard where you sketch out the story you are trying to tell - when do you need a close-up of preparation, when do you need a wide shot of the whole kitchen as the chef stirs the pot, what are the critical points in the recipe that need more emphasis and maybe shots from different angles. A quick Google of "storyboard samples" will show you many examples. In this way you can pre-plan to avoid too much focussing on the fly and other dynamic changes that the K-01 doesn't handle well.
This is more critical than choice of hardware.
And maybe watch a couple of existing cooking videos to see what works and maybe what doesn't.
A final note of caution - I remember being told once that a minute of finished film requires an hour of preparation/shooting/editing. My experience shows this is true of video as well.
Good luck !!

07-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips on pre-planning and storyboarding. I will take note.

Assuming I need to film a scene that requires more accurate focusing, would stopping the lens down help at all given that the K1 cannot auto focus during video? I just want to make sure that all the frames are sharp if possible.

Also I kept seeing people saying that K-01 bitrate is too low. My understanding is that K-01 records in 25Mbps thereabout? and I read elsewhere that youtube just need something like 8Mbps?

What is the limitation of K-01 for youtube videos? If the limitation is really that bad, I will just abandon the idea of using K-01 altogether.

Any thoughts?
07-24-2018, 05:09 AM   #6
Banned

The quality from the K-01 is good enough for youtube. Just take a good lens and you will succeed. As said, make a story board. Take clips and put them together. You can make in between shots with manual focusing, just try them out. Going from the front of the Kitchen to the back in a shot and flow the focus back and forward. Practica and you will get better.

I shot some video and only used 31mm for this video.
07-24-2018, 06:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I shot some video and only used 31mm for this video.
Good video Ron. Could you share your K-01 settings and aperture/ISO for this video? Thanks!

07-24-2018, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Good video Ron. Could you share your K-01 settings and aperture/ISO for this video? Thanks!
Well I made a few of these video's. So you can't plan everything. It's all in one shot done, so no retakes. I put the lens on f4 (with 31mm I have enough depth of field) and the rest on auto. No control on light or so, just working with what is available (in a good lith stadium).

The stills in the video are taken with my K-5 and da*300mm.
07-24-2018, 06:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I made a few of these video's. So you can't plan everything. It's all in one shot done, so no retakes. I put the lens on f4 (with 31mm I have enough depth of field) and the rest on auto. No control on light or so, just working with what is available (in a good lith stadium).

The stills in the video are taken with my K-5 and da*300mm.
Thanks Ron.
08-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #10
Forum Member

I'll add one other tip; get yourself an LCD Loupe like the Kinotehnik LCDVF. They can be bought on eBay for less than $30 used if you're patient. With that, manual focus and a f/4-5.6 aperture, you could manual focus well enough for cooking videos.
08-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You are already on a tripod, with most of the action happening at a (relatively) fixed distance, so no autofocus is needed. Go to manual focus, focus up on area where most of the action occurs, stop down the aperture, and you are good to go. Assuming you are aimed at a stovetop from about 6 feet distance, I would stop down to at least f/8. That will keep a range of about 4 feet in focus (i.e. 4 feet from the camera to 8 feet from the camera.) If you stop down to f/11 you will get about 6 feet of sharp area.

If you are curious to calculate what a different f/stop will give you, use a DOF calculator like this: Depth of Field (DoF) calculator | PhotoPills

If you need to shoot "inserts" or closeups where the camera and subject are at radically different distance than before, just manually focus for the inserts.

Pro video shooters never bother with auto focus. The hunting is annoying and difficult to predict. Better to focus on what you need, keep the action within the zone your focussed on, stop down to get the DOF you require, and for different angles and distances simply re-focus.
08-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The K-01 should be fine for shooting your wife's cooking videos. As others have pointed out, just focus manually and you should be okay.
09-02-2018, 04:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The K-01 should be fine for shooting your wife's cooking videos. As others have pointed out, just focus manually and you should be okay.
Hi TaoMaas, any idea why the K-01 (and this includes my other cameras like K-3 as well)'s videos have kind of artifacts even though I am shooting in relatively good lights indoor? I have also bought a Canon M50 and under the same light, the canon does not have this issue. Is this attributed to the bitrate of the K-01?
09-02-2018, 05:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Is it artifacts or just noise? I mostly use my K-01 to shoot things that are outdoors and I've never noticed any artifacting. Or rather, not enough to be a big issue. However, I tested it indoors a few weeks ago against a Canon 5D and the K-01 didn't handle the lower light level very well. I got a lot of grain in my video, like it was kicking up the ISO into a range beyond what was useable. I'll admit that I'm not much of a techie so someone else may know more than I do.
09-02-2018, 05:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Tao. It doesnt strike me as grainy/noisy per se....it is more like the video has little blotches all over...