Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I considered Ignoring this thread for that very reason. I thought, “Twice a year an earnest new member comes aboard and laments the lack of support for the brand, and the explanation has to be made again”.

FWIW this story has been pretty dormant while you were away. I was surprised Normhead remembered. I’m really surprised two people did.
That assumes that I am not also Normhead.......

11-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I considered Ignoring this thread for that very reason. I thought, “Twice a year an earnest new member comes aboard and laments the lack of support for the brand, and the explanation has to be made again”.

FWIW this story has been pretty dormant while you were away. I was surprised Normhead remembered. I’m really surprised two people did.
Well, I'm copying and pasting that great, sobering analysis. Should be a sticky.
11-02-2018, 03:53 AM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster

Sorry for the Educational post I needed. All these explanations that cameras are sold like cars is great. But the truth remains years ago I could go buy

A Pentax at a camera store, I could buy a 645 at the professional store. Now no.

So how do they sell the Theta 360 bull**** at BestBuy? They make exceptions?

Of course they do... The theta is their #1 selling product, because it's advertised..
11-02-2018, 07:04 AM   #49
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Did you know Nikon was the largest creditor of Ritz Camera when they went under - $69,000,000!
That's half of what Ricoh paid for Pentax. In essence people are asking Ricoh to invest in Pentax more than 10 times what they paid for it, just so other people recognize their camera on the street and go "ooh ahhhh."

But lets say Ricoh had invested that 1.4 billion based on the camera market at the time. The DSLR market is half what it used to be, their expected return would never have materialized and they would have lost a pile of money and they'd be selling cheaper less well constructed cameras for the same price trying to recoup their losses/ (Kinda like Canon and Nikon.) But maybe your neighbour would say "Hey, Pentax, nice camera." Really, what's the worth to you.

11-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
"Hey, Pentax, nice camera."
People still say that and will continue to say that because of the Pentax history.

What they do today will be tomorrows history, and if they don't make history now it will be forgotten.
11-02-2018, 09:45 AM   #51
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AsahiGlass Quote
People still say that and will continue to say that because of the Pentax history.

What they do today will be tomorrows history, and if they don't make history now it will be forgotten.

You really don't pay attention to our technical pages do you?
The DFA 150-450 and 24-70 and 15-30 were catch up lenses.

The DFA*70-200 and DFA* 50 1.4 and K-1/K-1 II are go to the head of the class technology, and many people, not just us old Pentax users have said so. They are making history based on many unbiased technical analysis. When you might start to realize it is anyone's guess. Not only that, Pentax has a history of excellence in kit lenses that has been carried on in the 28-105. They aren't DA*s but they are good enough you don't ever have to upgrade to DA*s just for IQ purposes.
11-02-2018, 10:38 AM   #52
SMC PENTAX LENSES
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry for the Educational post I needed. All these explanations that cameras are sold like cars is great. But the truth remains years ago I could go buy

A Pentax at a camera store, I could buy a 645 at the professional store. Now no.

So how do they sell the Theta 360 bull**** at BestBuy? They make exceptions?

Of course they do... The theta is their #1 selling product, because it's advertised..
Dude. You still have it backwards.

Have you looked inside one? It has an embedded off-brand MicroSD card for storage and a RIcoh-Branded compact camera battery perma-mounted to a holder. It costs ZIP to make and sells for $379. It is advertised because it is profitable at it’s price point at high volume and Ricoh can make enough of them to fulfill the delivery guarantee clauses of the Purchase Agreement with Best Buy and Amazon.

It’s a consumer toy, not a dSLR. Pentax doesn’t make consumer toy dSLR’s for $400 (but Nikon and Canon do).

I’m out.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-02-2018 at 03:18 PM.
11-02-2018, 02:04 PM   #53
Forum Member

Original Poster
It’s a consumer toy, not a dSLR. Pentax doesn’t make consumer toy dSLR’s for $400 (but Nikon and Canon do).
That's funny. What costs less than a Pentax. Nothing... They are the cheapest camera you can buy. No one sells a FF for under $2k.

They made themselves into a niche camera, not a pro camera. So actually they are all consumer "toys".

Someone said pros dont even know they exist. Pentax made a name in consumer SLR cameras.

11-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #54
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At this jucture I think I'll get some popcorn and an easy chair

Dave
11-03-2018, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's funny. What costs less than a Pentax. Nothing... They are the cheapest camera you can buy. No one sells a FF for under $2k.

They made themselves into a niche camera, not a pro camera. So actually they are all consumer "toys".

Someone said pros dont even know they exist. Pentax made a name in consumer SLR cameras.
What @monochrome said was that Pentax does not make cheap DSLRs like others do.
Both Canon and Nikon have DSLRs that retail for under $500. But, they're aimed at consumers - not pro's.

He did not say anything about FF.

The fact is, all Pentax DSLRs offer fantastic value. They often punch above their weight price.
01-05-2019, 10:02 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jeez,
I thought I could get some help on a problem with my K-01.
01-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Jeez,
I thought I could get some help on a problem with my K-01.
What problem are you having?
01-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
What problem are you having?
Red flashing numbers on lower screen when shutter attempts to fire(but doesn’t)and no images register on image review. Would software update reawaken shutter? Thanks
01-05-2019, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #59
SMC PENTAX LENSES
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Red flashing numbers on lower screen when shutter attempts to fire(but doesn’t)and no images register on image review. Would software update reawaken shutter? Thanks
My K-S1 had a similar fault. It was the card controller. Repaired under warranty, happened again. Not worth repairing that camera.