Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2018, 09:56 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K-01 failure? No one knows it exists.

So I'm new here,just got a K-01 used for $125 and I love it. Uses all my old lenses...

Lack of advertising makes it impossible to buy here in the US.

Ricoh HQ is 3 miles from my business, local "proshop" doesn't carry Pentax!

BestBuy no Pentax, Walmart, Target...nothing.

Don't get me wrong I love that no one has a Pentax, I hate run of the mill stuff,

But for Pentax to survive they gotta get their cameras in stores so people can see and touch them..

I went from Pentax film directly to Nikon digital because no one carries Pentax.

I'm a hobbyist, and we make up the majority.

Most people think Pentax is out of business, and in a sense they are.

I love my K-01, and everyone thinks it's a film camera because..."they still make cameras?"

10-30-2018, 09:59 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Singing to the choir - Welcome Aboard!
10-30-2018, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy the new camera!

QuoteOriginally posted by AsahiGlass Quote
But for Pentax to survive they gotta get their cameras in stores so people can see and touch them..
This isn't their strategy, I'm afraid. They seem fairly committed to major photo stores and online only in the US. As big of a shame as it is not to see the brand in stores, it does make sense given the target audience of Pentax and limited mainstream market share. The good news is that you get unrivaled support here on the forum

Also, the K-01 has been discontinued for about 5 years now, and the K-mount mirrorless line has been killed off, so definitely not surprising if you can't find much mention of it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
No one in Florida sells Pentax. That's ridiculous

10-30-2018, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, I feel your pain in Georgia. Adorama, B&H, and Amazon are your friends (as is the Marketplace here).
10-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-01, might have not been a failure for Pentax but its performance is underrated IMO - I love mine. Enjoy!
10-30-2018, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Unregistered User

I love and use mine - but check the mode dial for looseness, It has been known to pop off and is hard to replace. (It is easy to glue back on)

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-30-2018 at 04:11 PM. Reason: typo
10-30-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Most people think Pentax is out of business, and in a sense they are.
It is the responsibility of the Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation marketing team to directly contact brick and mortar photographic equipment retailers and convince them that it is profitable to carry Pentax cameras and accessories. Ricoh has chosen to not cultivate and harvest this market.

I love my K-01, and everyone thinks it's a film camera because..."they still make cameras?"
I find it humorous when people who see me with my Pentax K-1 Mark II camera approach me and ask, "Is that a film camera?" Beleave it or not, this happens fairly frequently.

Dennis
10-30-2018, 01:49 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

I told this story here years ago but it's relevant again here. I was shooting a space launch at NASA and it started to rain. The multitudes with cameras ran for cover. Two stringers and I stood in the rain with our cameras. Both, independently, came to me and as nice guys tried to get me to take my K5 out of the rain to save it. They were each pros and trying to help the "civilian" not ruin his equipment - I appreciated their concern. Each was SHOCKED that I had a) a Pentax, and b) that it was weather sealed. They essentially said I must be mistaken until I showed them information online on my iPhone. When the Pros don't even know that Pentax exist or that their cameras are weather seals the "marketing" people at Ricoh aren't earning their salaries IMHO.
10-30-2018, 02:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I love my K-01 too. But there was no way I would have bought one when it first came out. The darn things were about $900 CDN when they were introduced, and it was hard to justify that price compared to say, the K-5 at the time. And that's why you don't see to many of them in North America. Dealers recognized that it wouldn't sell all that well at that price point, and few stocked them.

I got mine when they were being closed out. I do find it a very fun camera to use, and with focus peaking and IBIS, it really is a wonderful thing to use with a wide variety of lenses.

The Mark Newson styling probably wasn't the best idea, and the full-depth K-mount does seem like a waste of space. And it really is almost impossible to use in bright sunlight.

On the plus side, the big battery is awesome.
10-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I know with the proper marketing Pentax could once again be PENTAX

My father was a professional photographer, he shot Spotmatic for 35, and a big old Mamiya for the larger fromat,

He will never buy a Pentax digital camera. No trust.

And with all these rumors about going out of business...what is wrong with them,,, they need rumors like

NEW K-02 , new full frame this and that, not a list of discontinued cameras with no replacement.

---------- Post added 10-30-18 at 02:24 PM ----------

Oh, Proshop For Photographers in downtown WPB, that carries Hass and Leica, Canikon is a whopping

0.2 of a mile from Ricoh USA. 3 min. walking distance. Lol

Nice

Last edited by MarkJerling; 10-30-2018 at 02:49 PM.
10-30-2018, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I miss my K-01, my K20D and my K-5, I just had to many cameras. I still have pictures of myself with a K-01 though.

10-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't let it bother you. I'm in New Zealand and I buy from Adorama or B&H in New York. You can too!
10-30-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I told this story here years ago but it's relevant again here. I was shooting a space launch at NASA and it started to rain. The multitudes with cameras ran for cover. Two stringers and I stood in the rain with our cameras. Both, independently, came to me and as nice guys tried to get me to take my K5 out of the rain to save it. They were each pros and trying to help the "civilian" not ruin his equipment - I appreciated their concern. Each was SHOCKED that I had a) a Pentax, and b) that it was weather sealed. They essentially said I must be mistaken until I showed them information online on my iPhone. When the Pros don't even know that Pentax exist or that their cameras are weather seals the "marketing" people at Ricoh aren't earning their salaries IMHO.
Still relevant, and still sad. I'd press Like, but it's too pathetic for any single emotion.
I recall watching a Canon pro totally ruin his camera shooting mist at the base of Yellowstone Falls, while filming a bit for some TV short about nature pics. I laughed sympathetically before and after his camera's demise. **

And welcome AsahiGlass! The K-1 is an amazing camera in a curious box, and a very early mirrorless camer that was caught up in both the Hoya-Ricoh transition and the energetic artist vs. engineer debate (and the dismissive "too big to be mirrorless" era, long past if you compare a K-01 to a GX8 / G9). Other than the missing viewfinder it's a great camera and a fun conversation starter, like Doc's K-5 and the K-1 film confusion.

** UPDATE - from jlbgibberish.blogspot.com
"I discovered Lik's photography television series on the Weather Channel, From the Edge with Peter Lik. I only managed to see about five of the 13 episodes before the season ended, but I found them engrossing. Granted, Lik has some financial and equipment advantages..."

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 10-30-2018 at 07:35 PM.
10-30-2018, 02:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He will never buy a Pentax digital camera. No trust.
Why "no trust"?