Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
A lot of my user selections are fine, which makes this even more confusing
User settings are often stored in flash memory which doesn't need battery backup, but the real-time clock (with the exception of a few chips which have a built-in cell) requires constant power to maintain its function and time keeping. That zoom function - I don't know. I would think that would go the same place as the user settings but????

Most battery back-up cells are soldered in but if accessible, are easy to replace. If you decide to replace your camera, I would go on-line and see if there are any guides to K-01 disassembly and pop the cover. If you can locate the battery, it should be an easy fix if you have any soldering skills. You might have to go to Mouser or Digi-Key to locate the proper cell. Usually they are lithium and often they don't get a charge from the main battery but just have a long life in this application (unfortunately no long enough in your case).

I used to be frustrated with multi-thousand dollar pieces of test equipment which had internal coin cells. It would seem that there would be a better way. For time-keeping clocks though, it's almost a necessity.

I'm using a computer which has an internal cell, and it has been good for over 18 years now (knock on wood). I have another which needs a coin cell change every two years. It's unfortunate to know the K-01s and perhaps even the K-1s are doomed to a repair job (or replacement) for this reason. Something my old film camera wasn't subject to.

11-22-2018, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
User settings are often stored in flash memory which doesn't need battery backup, but the real-time clock (with the exception of a few chips which have a built-in cell) requires constant power to maintain its function and time keeping. That zoom function - I don't know. I would think that would go the same place as the user settings but????

Most battery back-up cells are soldered in but if accessible, are easy to replace. If you decide to replace your camera, I would go on-line and see if there are any guides to K-01 disassembly and pop the cover. If you can locate the battery, it should be an easy fix if you have any soldering skills. You might have to go to Mouser or Digi-Key to locate the proper cell. Usually they are lithium and often they don't get a charge from the main battery but just have a long life in this application (unfortunately no long enough in your case).

I used to be frustrated with multi-thousand dollar pieces of test equipment which had internal coin cells. It would seem that there would be a better way. For time-keeping clocks though, it's almost a necessity.

I'm using a computer which has an internal cell, and it has been good for over 18 years now (knock on wood). I have another which needs a coin cell change every two years. It's unfortunate to know the K-01s and perhaps even the K-1s are doomed to a repair job (or replacement) for this reason. Something my old film camera wasn't subject to.
I'm not sure that this is strictly true. The only purpose the the small battery for the RTC is to provide power when there is no other. If a laptop is kept charged or there is a mains feed to a desktop, the clock will keep time even if the onboard cell has failed. In the DSLR or mirrorless, the main battery should provide the time. However, it will be "lost" whenever the main battery is changed. So I really don't think our cameras are doomed for a repair job.

From another post by Not a number:
Many of the Pentax DSLRs use a Seiko "accumlator" (fancy name for rechargeable battery). The accumulator is soldered to the main board and is considered "not user servicable"

MS414GE | Seiko Instruments Inc. Micro Energy Division

If you do some searching on PentaxForums there were some photos posted showing the location of the battery on main board.

Replacement isn't simple due to the amount of disassembly (including un-soldering) one needs to do in order to get to the battery.
11-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
I'm not sure that this is strictly true. The only purpose the the small battery for the RTC is to provide power when there is no other. If a laptop is kept charged or there is a mains feed to a desktop, the clock will keep time even if the onboard cell has failed. In the DSLR or mirrorless, the main battery should provide the time. However, it will be "lost" whenever the main battery is changed. So I really don't think our cameras are doomed for a repair job.

From another post by Not a number:
Many of the Pentax DSLRs use a Seiko "accumlator" (fancy name for rechargeable battery). The accumulator is soldered to the main board and is considered "not user servicable"

MS414GE | Seiko Instruments Inc. Micro Energy Division

If you do some searching on PentaxForums there were some photos posted showing the location of the battery on main board.

Replacement isn't simple due to the amount of disassembly (including un-soldering) one needs to do in order to get to the battery.
By "doomed to a repair job", I mean that at some time (in the case of the OP it wasn't that long) the RTC will fail and require a repair unless one likes to reset the clock every time a main battery is removed.

"Accumulator cells" are a better way to go. They are sometimes referred to as "super caps" or the like and are really just a capacitor of high capacity which charges off the main battery and allows it to be changed out without losing the clock operation, but accumulator cells can go bad as well (though less likely than a lithium backup cell). In either case, a failing cell can be a consternation.
11-24-2018, 05:12 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in March this year, I had the same problem. It was fixed by reloading the firmware, and seems to have stayed fixed even though the camera is getting very little use (I just turned it on and wasn't asked to reset the date). Oh, and just a reminder to do this with a fully-charged battery (insert smiley here as I can't find them)