Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

k-01 asking for date every time I turn it on

This manifested the other day. The camera is now taking a few seconds to turn on and prompts me each time I turn on the camera to set the date and time. Another side effects is that when I zoom in 6x for my manual lenses it's defaulting to the top left corner instead of the center whenever I restart the camera. This is making the camera very difficult to use to say the least, any solutions?

11-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Time and date -the internal battery is no longer holding it's charge. It loses any data you have to input, so effectively the camera will return to it's default settings every time you switch it on.

You'll probably find it too expensive to have it fixed.
11-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd try another battery you know is good and with that battery in, perform a firmware update with the latest firmware you have available (or get the last one from Ricoh off the internet). If that doesn't fix the issue, it's time for a repair at the shop. I would go ahead and enter the correct time and date if it allows you to. I don't know if the K-01 has an internal battery to power its boot & time system like some computers do, but that sound's a lot like what happens when one of those runs down in a computer.
11-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the same thing a few years ago with one of my cams. Changing batteries didn't do it for me. I had to send it back in. I can't remember, but it might have been a capacitor that wasn't holding charge.

11-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of the Q series and older *ist cameras have the same issues. The internal battery, which is charged by the main battery, no longer holds a charge causing the camera to default to factory settings each time it is turned on. The batteries by themselves aren’t very expensive, but the labor to disassemble the camera to replace it can be more than the camera is worth.
11-21-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
...Another side effects is that when I zoom in 6x for my manual lenses it's defaulting to the top left corner instead of the center whenever I restart the camera...
The clock part sounds like the internal battery/capacitor has died. The part I quoted above, though, seems odd, as a soft camera reset should default back to the center.

Can you confirm the time resets on a short power down even if you don't remove the battery?

Try to do a full factory reset in the menu. Then leave the battery out overnight.
11-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Can you confirm the time resets on a short power down even if you don't remove the battery?
Yes the time resets when I turn the camera off and then turn it back on asap.

11-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Some of the Q series and older *ist cameras have the same issues. The internal battery, which is charged by the main battery, no longer holds a charge causing the camera to default to factory settings each time it is turned on. The batteries by themselves aren’t very expensive, but the labor to disassemble the camera to replace it can be more than the camera is worth.
My Q-7 often losses time, but only when the main battery has been out too long, like 5 minutes. This sounds like something completely different, something more serious.
11-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes the time resets when I turn the camera off and then turn it back on asap.
That sounds like a dead component inside the camera. Try the factory reset but I don't have much hope it will correct the problem.
11-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Definitely sound's like the memory battery which is internal. Actually, it shouldn't be that hard to get to for a repair tech. I would try to get a quote before I gave up or went seeking a camera replacement. Just out of curiosity, how old is your K-01?
11-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Definitely sound's like the memory battery which is internal. Actually, it shouldn't be that hard to get to for a repair tech. I would try to get a quote before I gave up or went seeking a camera replacement. Just out of curiosity, how old is your K-01?
I got mine in 2014 used.
11-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #12

Hi, I have a KR which displays a "time" problem. However, it holds the time whenever the camera is switched off then on again. However, it loses it on a battery change. There is a very small rechargeable battery in side to keep the RTC going when the battery is changed. Not easy to replace even for a tech as it is mounted on one of the boards not plugged in.
The camera should not lose the time with the main battery inserted and this will power the RTC. User selections are generally stored in the ROM so should not be lost on power off even when the main battery is removed. So to my mind, this isn't a problem caused by the "backup" battery. It is more likely to be caused by the camera failing to write to the ROM.
11-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim Coxon Quote
Hi, I have a KR which displays a "time" problem. However, it holds the time whenever the camera is switched off then on again. However, it loses it on a battery change. There is a very small rechargeable battery in side to keep the RTC going when the battery is changed. Not easy to replace even for a tech as it is mounted on one of the boards not plugged in.
The camera should not lose the time with the main battery inserted and this will power the RTC. User selections are generally stored in the ROM so should not be lost on power off even when the main battery is removed. So to my mind, this isn't a problem caused by the "backup" battery. It is more likely to be caused by the camera failing to write to the ROM.
A lot of my user selections are fine, which makes this even more confusing
11-22-2018, 06:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have an alternative solution to spending more than the camera is worth in repairing the internal battery/capcitor - EXIF Date Changer is a freeware program that allows you to mass alter the dates on photo files. At least that way you have the right date in the EXIF data for your files in post.
11-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

A lot of my user selections are fine, which makes this even more confusing
Many menu settings are stored in non-volatile memory - it doesn't need power to remember those settings. The clock and some other settings are in volatile memory that must have power.