Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2018, 03:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian
cyberjunkie's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bologna, Amsterdam, Chiang Mai
Posts: 1,087
K-01 in M mode with M42 lenses

As there is no specific subforum for the K-01, I guess I'm going to post in the right place.
After I decided to restart using the K-01, mostly for testing of newly acquired vintage lenses, I found an unexpected problem: with an M42 lens that does not short the data pin, whatever the setting I choose, it stays in AV.
Is there any way to force the camera to use M?
In theory there should be no problem, the "use diaphragm ring" setting is correctly set to 2.
Even if there is a single wheel, it could be used to set the shutter speed, the diaphragm is set in the lens, and the ISO via one of the four-ways buttons.
The K-01 doesn't see a firmware update in ages, it would be so easy to have a menu setting that gives the choice to uncripple the camera.
What am I missing?
In comparison, the K-1 has just a little problem: if the pin is not shortened PK lenses are not stopped down before the shot (or when using green button or DOF preview). That's all. No other limitations I am aware of.
I am not a camera menu wizard, but I really can't see any mistake on my side.
Again, is there anything I'm not aware of?

cheers
Paolo

12-08-2018, 03:49 AM   #2
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruiing the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,133
K-01 is listed under "mirrorless" cameras and I've moved your question there.
12-08-2018, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
cyberjunkie's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bologna, Amsterdam, Chiang Mai
Posts: 1,087
Original Poster
I'm giving the answer to myself, and to any other pentaxian who will come to this thread after a search:
I changed the ISO setting by mistake, setting Auto ISO.
With Auto ISO on, it seems that the M mode is automatically forced to AV (not TAV, as I've read elsewhere).
Reverting to any manually set ISO value would give you back the usual M mode (if you set it with the mode dial).
At this point, I am very curious to know if there are other weird peculiarities that set the K-01 mirrorless apart from other Pentax digital cameras.
In all sincerity, I love the third dial of the K-1, and I loathe the single wheel of the K-01 or K200D.
Once you are used to a camera with two wheels, at times it's not easy at all to replicate the same settings I routinely use with other cameras, on single-wheel one like the K-01.
A couple of times I got lost.
Of the many shortcoming of the K-01 (which go together with a couple of very good points), the one I find more annoying is the lack of the second wheel.
12-08-2018, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruiing the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,133
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
Reverting to any manually set ISO value would give you back the usual M mode
Yes, that's the case as it should be. I made that mistake once too on my DSLR and fought my brain for an hour trying to figure out what was wrong when I couldn't get my camera to go back to M mode. And the camera set to Auto ISO was all it was and I felt I should have known that, but when you find a problem sometimes logic doesn't always make sense either and doesn't let you think straight.

Glad you finally got it figured out.

12-08-2018, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,721
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
With Auto ISO on, it seems that the M mode is automatically forced to AV (not TAV, as I've read elsewhere).
With an M42 lens the camera has no idea what the aperture setting is. So Trying to use M mode with AUTO-ISO will not work. Av mode will work, because although the camera cannot read the aperture, the M42 lens stops down in real time so the camera reads the actual light that the aperture allows through.

Not directly related to this thread but Manual mode with Auto-ISO and TAV mode are exactly the same thing
12-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #6
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruiing the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,133
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Trying to use M mode with AUTO-ISO
You can't use Auto-ISO on M mode with any DSLR, IIRC. Mine didn't, and I had to take it off Auto-ISO to get it to go to M mode. I should clarify, if you set it on Auto-ISO, and move dial to M, the camera will tell you it's in TAV or AV, not M mode, until you take it off Auto-ISO.

Last edited by photolady95; 12-08-2018 at 07:46 AM.
12-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,721
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You can't use Auto-ISO on M mode with any DSLR, IIRC
On Nikon DSLR's at least you can. Fuji too.

Pentax has their own dedicated TAv mode so no need to have AUTO-ISO in manual as a choice.
12-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruiing the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,133
Ok, Any DSLR, I meant Pentax. Since that's all I own. Or have ever owned.

12-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,721
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Pentax. Since that's all I own. Or have ever owned
Me too

SLR or DSLR
12-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,906
Yah the K-01 doesn't have TAv mode unfortunately. Doesn't really bother me on there because it's really easy to change settings on the K-01 quickly.
12-08-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Pioneer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Elko, Nevada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,289
Beyond the manual setting problem the idea of using some of my Takumar lenses with the K-01 is intriguing.

I need to spend some time playing with this setup. I like M42 Takumar lenses and I love the K-01. The combination should be terrific.
12-08-2018, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,906
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Beyond the manual setting problem the idea of using some of my Takumar lenses with the K-01 is intriguing.

I need to spend some time playing with this setup. I like M42 Takumar lenses and I love the K-01. The combination should be terrific.
I love it with my Tak 50 1.4



12-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #13
Pentaxian
cyberjunkie's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bologna, Amsterdam, Chiang Mai
Posts: 1,087
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Beyond the manual setting problem the idea of using some of my Takumar lenses with the K-01 is intriguing.

I need to spend some time playing with this setup. I like M42 Takumar lenses and I love the K-01. The combination should be terrific.
The K-01 has the same sensor of the K-5. If by chance you own both, the choice is based on the ergonomics, the WR, single or dual wheel, etc etc.
The quality of the raw files (and the dynamic range) of the K-01 are surprisingly good.
Despite some shortcomings the K-01 is still a solid performer. It is also good value because of a rather low second hand price.
Used with adapted lenses, for example Takumars or other M42 lenses, I personally find that the lack of a viewfinder and the highly reflective screen don't go too well with the use of manual focus lenses... BUT there is one thing that makes the K-01 invaluable.
It has no mirror!
Which means that ANY M42 lens can be used, even those with a protruding back element. No fear to damage the glass or the camera.
This comes very useful with adapted projection lenses. Some have long barrels, and once you fit them in a focusing helicoid, the back element has to go inside the camera, very close to the sensor, to allow for infinity focus.
Of all Pentax digital cameras, only the Q line gives more freedom, at the cost of a much smaller sensor and less dynamic range.
I am keeping my K-01 mainly for this reason. It is a great test bench for vintage lenses, including some old wide with very protruding back element, and "project lenses" originally not meant to take pictures.
12-09-2018, 12:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,906
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
The K-01 has the same sensor of the K-5. If by chance you own both, the choice is based on the ergonomics, the WR, single or dual wheel, etc etc.
The quality of the raw files (and the dynamic range) of the K-01 are surprisingly good.
Despite some shortcomings the K-01 is still a solid performer. It is also good value because of a rather low second hand price.
Used with adapted lenses, for example Takumars or other M42 lenses, I personally find that the lack of a viewfinder and the highly reflective screen don't go too well with the use of manual focus lenses... BUT there is one thing that makes the K-01 invaluable.
It has no mirror!
Which means that ANY M42 lens can be used, even those with a protruding back element. No fear to damage the glass or the camera.
This comes very useful with adapted projection lenses. Some have long barrels, and once you fit them in a focusing helicoid, the back element has to go inside the camera, very close to the sensor, to allow for infinity focus.
Of all Pentax digital cameras, only the Q line gives more freedom, at the cost of a much smaller sensor and less dynamic range.
I am keeping my K-01 mainly for this reason. It is a great test bench for vintage lenses, including some old wide with very protruding back element, and "project lenses" originally not meant to take pictures.
And because of the K-01's price to image quality ratio I think it'd make a great full spectrum camera. I intend on modifying mine at some point.
12-09-2018, 01:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian
cyberjunkie's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bologna, Amsterdam, Chiang Mai
Posts: 1,087
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
And because of the K-01's price to image quality ratio I think it'd make a great full spectrum camera. I intend on modifying mine at some point.
Oh yes!
You are right.
I have been wondering about that option for a while.
It's much cheaper than converting a DSLR.
I am just trying to understand the possible drawbacks for conventional non-UV/non-IR use.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, diaphragm, dslr, k-01, lens, lenses, m42, menu, mode with m42, photography, pin
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: 3rd Pty M42, Helios-40-2, 28, 35, 85, 135, 200 and 450mm, M42-EF & M42-Nikon MightyMike Sold Items 80 12-29-2017 02:58 PM
For Sale - Sold: 3rd Pty M42, 70-150mm, 135mm F2.8, 200mm F3.5 M42-K, M42-EF & M42-Nikon Adapters MightyMike Sold Items 72 12-26-2016 09:37 AM
Pentax K-01 : Problem in video mode with manual lenses minilink Pentax K-01 53 10-28-2013 10:56 AM
K-x Problem with manual mode and M42 lenses dude163 Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 08-11-2010 04:16 AM
How to achive Tv (Shutter priority mode) for K mount and M42 lenses? Sudhakar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 06-03-2009 09:51 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top