Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2019, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Penta Quote
For sure the costs are leading me to pretty old bodies with the fuji system... and then the fuji lenses sheeesh they're in a whole different price bracket altogether!

If you haven't checked this guy out on youtube already (he's a big fan of the Pentax Q/M-X1/Ricoh GR), his M-X1 video got me frothing at the mouth and wondering whether this little brass Pentaxian wonder could be my dream camera/partner to the K-01: Cheap Camera Review - The Legendary Pentax MX-1- Is it still relevant in 2019? - YouTube

---------- Post added 04-30-19 at 12:06 AM ----------

The 16-45's been on my wishlist for a few years now but does look quite bulky for K-01 (although IQ as you say seems excellent) and a bit slow for night, indoor, moving subjects without flash... the sigma/tamron 17-50 definitely looks more appealing in that sense and great to hear another success story handling with the K-01, thanks for the tips.

My first choice if I was going zoom (not fixed prime which I'd prefer) would be the pentax 18-135mm... it definitely seems like a keeper, nice size, good AF and overall excellent IQ (at least for what I need). I've found one at top end of my budget and have been ever so close... the only thing that held me back was the size vs small prime, handling (again being a zoom on the viewfinder-lacking K-01), and it's slower than I'd like. But I suppose beggars can't be choosers!

Thank you all for the much appreciated help, does anyone have experience with the 17-50 sigma/tamron vs Pentax 18-135 on the K-01?

I have a K-01 and an 18-135 Pentax. I havenít paired them up in the past. Usually I put the 21mm Ltd or 15mm Ltd on the K-01 for compactness and the 18-135 of the K70 for a 1 DSLR walk around combo. In fact, I use the 16-85 as my main standard zoom and the 18-135 rides a shelf. But TODAY Iím toting the K-01 w/18-135 just for experience. I may not have a qualified answer in a timely manner for you.

04-30-2019, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 on my K01 without issue. It can be found used within your budget. It is pretty light for a 2.8 zoom. You would be surprised at the huge field of view change from 28mm to 17mm. The lens has good IQ and I really don't recall much AF problems with it on my K01. Hope this helps.
04-30-2019, 07:17 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
I have used my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 on my K01 without issue. It can be found used within your budget. It is pretty light for a 2.8 zoom. You would be surprised at the huge field of view change from 28mm to 17mm. The lens has good IQ and I really don't recall much AF problems with it on my K01. Hope this helps.
Very helpful and yes I've found (I think) a decent used copy within budget... it definitely won't have the aesthetics/smallsize/handling of a prime but seems verrry versatile, relatively fast, excellent IQ and could be the answer until the next lens beckons, although I'm really hoping it's 'the one' to end my search once and for all!

Out of interest, how is the overall size of it compared with say the pentax kit lens 18-55mm?

---------- Post added 04-30-19 at 03:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
I have a K-01 and an 18-135 Pentax. I havenít paired them up in the past. Usually I put the 21mm Ltd or 15mm Ltd on the K-01 for compactness and the 18-135 of the K70 for a 1 DSLR walk around combo. In fact, I use the 16-85 as my main standard zoom and the 18-135 rides a shelf. But TODAY Iím toting the K-01 w/18-135 just for experience. I may not have a qualified answer in a timely manner for you.
Great will look forward to your thoughts in due course.
04-30-2019, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Penta Quote
Out of interest, how is the overall size of it compared with say the pentax kit lens 18-55mm?
Are you aware of the lens review data bases? They include dimensions and weights. Check there to find that the Tamron weighs twice as much as the 18-55:

SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-af-17-50mm-f2-8-xr-ld-aspherical-if-sp.html

04-30-2019, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 17-50 is a fair bit heavier than the 18-55 kit lens. To me it does not feel unbalanced on my K01. The extra wieght is worth it when comparing 2.8 through the whole zoom range and the IQ difference.
04-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Are you aware of the lens review data bases? They include dimensions and weights. Check there to find that the Tamron weighs twice as much as the 18-55:

SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 SP AF XR LD Aspherical IF Di II Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Yes thanks for the reminder, wow that is quite a step up in weight for the K-01.

---------- Post added 04-30-19 at 07:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
The 17-50 is a fair bit heavier than the 18-55 kit lens. To me it does not feel unbalanced on my K01. The extra wieght is worth it when comparing 2.8 through the whole zoom range and the IQ difference.
Thanks for the real world comparison with the 18-55 vs 17-50 + K-01, ok I think it may be between the 21mm f3.2 and the Tammy.

If the 21mm is really a lot better IQ-wise, obviously with the weight/handling advantage as well I may have to stretch to this option as I really would prefer a more ergonomic package.

It's a big dilemna knowing the Tammy is faster, more versatile and I can definitely find it cheaper hmmmm.

But I keep seeing issues with people being unlucky with the QC on the tamrons, some reporting sub par IQ with bad copies etc = buyer beware on the used market.... double hmmmmmm.

Time to weigh it all up, I'll report back when I've hatched a plan.
04-30-2019, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A DA 15, a 24mm Sigma Super-Wide II AF OR an F 28mm f2.8, and that 18-135 you just picked up would be a fine trio of glass to have in a bag next to a K-01. An SMC DA 15 in good condition is about $300 USD these days and I've watched what look like good Super-Wide AF's sell for about $200 lately.
04-30-2019, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a fairly good experience with the V1 Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4.5 on the K-01. I found that this lens has excellent IQ, and AF was OK, though occasionally it would just miss for unknown reasons. It's also a tad bulky for a body like the K-01, IMHO, but not too bad. Maybe consider a Sigma Superwide II 24mm F/2.8 AF? I have the MF version and find it excellent. If I was still shooting the K-01, I'd own the AF version by now. I've not shot the 18-135mm but it's a very compact lens - smaller than the Sigma 17-70mm - and IMHO actually should be a good option. You might also want to consider a Canon EF-M body with either the 22mm F/2 and/or the 11-22mm...?

04-30-2019, 01:30 PM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
A DA 15, a 24mm Sigma Super-Wide II AF OR an F 28mm f2.8, and that 18-135 you just picked up would be a fine trio of glass to have in a bag next to a K-01. An SMC DA 15 in good condition is about $300 USD these days and I've watched what look like good Super-Wide AF's sell for about $200 lately.
I've had the 24mm AF Sigma on the wishlist for a while but with the 24mm f2.8 Miranda macro MC lens I already own (which is great btw) wanted to go wider really. I also wasn't sure if the AF system of the super wide would really be that great on the K-01 as have had bad experience with another film-era legacy Sigma lens which hunts an awful lot (although it is 75mm-200mm so that's probably why?). The lens itself is beaut though, sharp IQ, full metal construction, zeiss optics but almost unusable on the K-01 being so unwieldy.... perfect for a pentax DLSR body especially the K1.

---------- Post added 04-30-19 at 09:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I had a fairly good experience with the V1 Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4.5 on the K-01. I found that this lens has excellent IQ, and AF was OK, though occasionally it would just miss for unknown reasons. It's also a tad bulky for a body like the K-01, IMHO, but not too bad. Maybe consider a Sigma Superwide II 24mm F/2.8 AF? I have the MF version and find it excellent. If I was still shooting the K-01, I'd own the AF version by now. I've not shot the 18-135mm but it's a very compact lens - smaller than the Sigma 17-70mm - and IMHO actually should be a good option. You might also want to consider a Canon EF-M body with either the 22mm F/2 and/or the 11-22mm...?

I think I've decided due to the slight added weight/size and the slightly unreliable AF of the older lens (which is a big driving factor) a newer 17-50 sigma/tamron might be a better option than the 17-70mm if I end up going for a zoom lens. The 18-135mm is still on the list of potential candidates, I've been v.impressed by all the images I've seen from that and it seems to get high praise especially for the improved AF system.

The Canon EOS M has definitely caught the eye too, looks intriguing with magic lantern firmware for video. Having said that it's no K-01, I'm just so attached to old Pentax manual glass, the thought of using an adapter with no aperture priority on a canon body doesn't really appeal.
04-30-2019, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right. I suggested a pair of lenses along with that 18-135. The DA 15 Ltd. which is provides a field of view similar to that of a 23 or 24mm optic on full frame when used on a crop body. The 24 you have experience with via your existing Miranda. I've heard good things about that lens you already have. The Super-Wide II and II AF both seem very highly regarded for general IQ. I don't think there are AF issues with that lens on Pentax bodies. There are definitely some Sigmas that do.

I'd like to hear more about this Sigma 75-200 with "Zeiss optics". What model is it? I'm wondering if there's a manual focus version of this same lens for myself...

In any case, if you only buy one lens for your originally outlined purpose, I'd strongly suggest an SMC DA 15 Ltd. That and your 18-135 and you're well on your way to a high quality crop kit.
04-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Right. I suggested a pair of lenses along with that 18-135. The DA 15 Ltd. which is provides a field of view similar to that of a 23 or 24mm optic on full frame when used on a crop body. The 24 you have experience with via your existing Miranda. I've heard good things about that lens you already have. The Super-Wide II and II AF both seem very highly regarded for general IQ. I don't think there are AF issues with that lens on Pentax bodies. There are definitely some Sigmas that do.

I'd like to hear more about this Sigma 75-200 with "Zeiss optics". What model is it? I'm wondering if there's a manual focus version of this same lens for myself...

In any case, if you only buy one lens for your originally outlined purpose, I'd strongly suggest an SMC DA 15 Ltd. That and your 18-135 and you're well on your way to a high quality crop kit.

Thanks, the lens is this one, a rebadged Carl Zeiss Jena, seriously solid piece of metal, you can manual focus but MF ring is a little fiddly: Sigma 75-200mm F3.8 Autofocus Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

FWIW I don't actually own an 18-135mm but have been considering it as a reason to stay with the K-01.

Main options I'm currently considering for K-01 based on wide, fast, good AF within budget:

Pentax 21mm f3.2

Tamron/Sigma 17-50 f2.8
Pentax 18-135mm f3.5

All seem good choices for the K-01 and I'm tending towards the 17-50mm options due to wider fixed f2.8 at the moment... although still open to any curve balls.
04-30-2019, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club

749 pages and counting...
05-01-2019, 03:55 AM   #43

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
15mm-limited-controls-my-mind-club

749 pages and counting...
The 15mm looks like a beauty for sure, but at this time the biggest priority is a fast lens suited for low light, indoor, moving subjects.

I look back on a lot of the photos taken with eg. Miranda 24mm set at f2.8 ISO1600. shutter speed anywhere between 1/6 - 1/20, and there are too many with motion blur or just generally out of focus for my liking. The issue could be addressed with a good AF F2.4 or lower lens. Obviously I could bump up the shutter speed at the expense of image quality (ISO), but I don't really want to go above ISO1600.

This leads me back to my original post and problem that I cannot find something along the lines of eg. the Canon EF-M 22mm f2 or the quite ok pancake options (eg. 14mm/16mm) available for M4/3 and other mirrorless systems that are relatively affordable, wide, fast, a small pancake-ish size befitting for the Pentax K-01. And I know you just can't compare those lenses from other manufacturers with the quality of eg. 15mm DA in terms of IQ.

But maybe I'm doing something wrong with my photo capturing to date, maybe the settings I use aren't optimal for low light, moving subjects? Maybe an f3.5 - f4 would be acceptable for my purposes but I'm doing something wrong ?
05-01-2019, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the DA 15 is too slow at f4 max aperture then the DA 21's f3.2 should probably be off the table as well. Go looking for a DA 14 perhaps? That said, for a crop kit, I wouldn't consider anything but the SMC DA 15 for my wide angle option. Get a mini tripod and a cable release?

The Sigma and Tamron 17-50's are both great lenses. Sigma is probably a bit better built and a bit sharper. I think the Tamron has prettier rendering and handles high contrast scenes well. My sister has basically built a side photo business around a copy of that lens. The DA 18-135 is a solid do-all zoom that, while not perfect at all focal lengths, is extremely good in the middle and covers a large zoom range. Build quality is excellent and I love the copy I own. You can't go wrong with any of these three in my estimation.

If you are not happy with the photos you've taken, where you were expecting more something or other, share here! This forum is full of excellent photogs and helpful folks that can get you on the right track or at least considering how to get there. Share with EXIF data so we can see what the camera was doing at the time.
05-01-2019, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

The biggest thing going for the K-01 is the image quality. Same as my wife's K-5, which she still uses. I think if anything, the above shows you can find a lens for it. You just have to decide what's important to you and go for it. I found the camera difficult to use for telephoto work. But for wide angle, especially indoors, it was a great camera.

Last edited by normhead; 05-01-2019 at 09:24 AM.