Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2019, 12:34 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My "new" (to me) K-01

Hello,

I was always intrigued by the K-01. Almost got one (more than once) but never did. Recently I've been thinking about replacing my Fuji point and shoot with something good but at the same time something my wife and kids would not fear to use. A fellow forum member happened to offer a fully functional one in the marketplace as a great deal due to some cosmetic scratches in the body. We exchanged some messages and long story short, I got it today.

You can see where the scratches are. They were accurately described and documented so no surprises.

So I took it to my workbench and carefully cleaned it. The yellow seems like it may be a challenge to keep clean. Then I took some very mild automotive polishing cream over the scratches but the improvement proved to be rather minimal. But I am happy with it. I think the DA 35 f2.4 (with metal hood) will be a good walkaround lens for testing so on it went.

By the way, for these studio shots I took out my trusty K100DSuper with the M50 f1.7 just for fun.

So I took it for a quick spin. Of course lens selection is most likely the most important parameter. Still learning it and adjusting menu parameters to my liking but it performed as expected.

The dynamic range in this sensor family is probably the main reason why I love my K5II so much.

There you have it! My "new" K-01. Plenty of life left on this one!

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 07-10-2019 at 03:49 AM.
06-29-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the club!
It's a fine camera... I'm still using it, to the tune of hundreds of pictures each month
06-29-2019, 01:37 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations, Ismael! That's a nice lookin' K-01, and more importantly, you're getting great images from it.

A few little scratches here and there can be a good thing. I'm super-careful with my gear - too careful, frankly. I hate that feeling when a much loved piece of equipment gets its first scratch or ding. But not long after that happens, and my disappointment subsides, I no longer feel the need to be quite so careful. It's quite liberating My K-3 is still in excellent condition, but it has a few small marks from honest use. I'm still reasonably careful when shooting it, but I don't worry about it picking up the odd additional mark here or there - and I enjoy it more as a result. Your K-01 has just enough very minor marks that you can get on with using and enjoying it, not "babying" it
06-29-2019, 01:48 PM - 2 Likes   #4

Glad to see my camera went to a good home! The 35/2.4 balances great with this body and the dynamic range of that sensor is truly great.

Awesome shots and happy shooting!

06-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good looking combo, a nice photos! Have fun!
06-29-2019, 02:31 PM   #6

The K01 is a fun camera I have one which I still use on occasion. I think the concept behind the camera was good a mirrorless that would use the standard K mount I wish they had made a EVF for it or released a K02 with one. Have fun
06-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the K-01 but the screen is difficult in sunlight so I gave up on mine and sold it on. The Yellow models hold value well so it's a sort of investment

06-29-2019, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #8
Unregistered User

I've had mine for six years now and I still use it regularly. It is great for twilight shooting, a great sensor and the view screen is better than an optical viewfinder in that situation.

One warning: check your mode dial from time to time, they have been known to come off. Mine was loose and I fixed it with some sticky adhesive in sheet form, the kind used for mounting prints.
06-29-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
Forum Member

I love my K-01. Bought it years ago to complement my K5 and have a K-mount camera that my wife wouldn’t be too intimidated to use. I still use it regularly and make photos that I enjoy with it. It pairs well with all the limited primes but the perfect match is really the DA 40XS. Enjoy!
06-29-2019, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 is a fantastic camera. Underestimated my many as a sort of cult camera. The IQ is excellent. My favorite pairing with it is the FA31, and also the FA77. Really brings out the pixie dust in those lenses. Congratulations! And enjoy
06-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You’re going to love your K-01. I most frequently use the 3 Pancake Limiteds with mine and carry a collapsible Hoodman loupe in a small case if the sun is too bright. I hold it with my elbows at my sides, left hand supporting the base and right hand gently gripping. That brings it up to just below chin level, close to my sternum and I look slightly down to frame shots. Sure beats the arms out compact camera grip.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-29-2019 at 09:52 PM.
06-29-2019, 09:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I went for white back in my K-01 time. I definitely had a good time & it took great images!
06-30-2019, 04:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

i sold mine and regret it as it's a nice to have.

but on the other hand, i bought it for video and despite the great ergonomics for that, the IQ just was not there..
06-30-2019, 07:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Congrats, and nice pictures. Definitely distinctive in yellow! My K-01 still gets lots of use too - it fills the gap between the Q7 and K1. My walkaround lens is often a DA21, and I've also liked results from the FA31 but it overbalances the body somewhat, so it seems like the DA35 makes a lot of sense in that role.
06-30-2019, 08:55 AM - 5 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
hate that feeling when a much loved piece of equipment gets its first scratch or ding. But not long after that happens, and my disappointment subsides, I no longer feel the need to be quite so careful. It's quite liberating
Maybe along those same lines -- I never feel like I quite own a camera until I've at least lost its hotshoe cover.