Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2019, 05:17 PM   #16

No doubt you will enjoy this camera .. Congratulations

06-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #17
Pentaxian

The K-01 is an excellent camera. Going to convert mine to full spectrum eventually.
07-10-2019, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments!
Forgot to mention that despite been carefully packed with a body cap, the sensor was quite dirty. I did my usual f22 shot of the sky and it was scary!
I approach sensor cleaning in 3 stages: In camera function, Rocket blower, Direct Contact cleaning.
As soon as it is done I stop. Usually, only the first 2 steps work, but in this case I had to go all the way, 3 times! Took some time but it is now perfect.

Thanks,
07-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Since I bought my Q7s as my discrete cameras I don’t take the K-01 out as often but I’m never disappointed when I do take it out. The 21mm Ltd is the most common lens I use on that body even though I keep the 40mm XS mounted on it in while in the camera cabinet.

10-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I always wanted one and finally bought one on the cheap ($160) last year with low shutter actuation's, I started forcing myself to use it as a walkaround set up, but DANG! that little gem grew on me! now I always have it with me when I go out and about walking here in Vegas. it is just a fun little camera to use, and the plus side is the fact is that it takes all my lenses...
My wife has been a bit intimidated by my DSLRs and has been "scared" away from photography, now I am convincing her to get back into it with this K01, I think she is going for it...
10-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I still use my yellow K-01. It slips in and out of a camera bag pocket easily with the DA40XS mounted. Think Ricoh would be surprised how well a 2nd version with evf would sell. They have most of the parts sitting around. No idea why they haven't already given it a shot.
Thanks,
barondla
10-12-2019, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I still use my yellow K-01. It slips in and out of a camera bag pocket easily with the DA40XS mounted. Think Ricoh would be surprised how well a 2nd version with evf would sell. They have most of the parts sitting around. No idea why they haven't already given it a shot.
Thanks,
barondla
I agree.
Unfortunately, the 'lesson' they learned from K-01 was "MILC not for us", while Sony {from NEX family} and Canon {from EOS-M family} were slowly learning that EVF is needed and how to provide it.

11-30-2019, 10:46 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

I was always intrigued by the K-01. Almost got one (more than once) but never did. Recently I've been thinking about replacing my Fuji point and shoot with something good but at the same time something my wife and kids would not fear to use. A fellow forum member happened to offer a fully functional one in the marketplace as a great deal due to some cosmetic scratches in the body. We exchanged some messages and long story short, I got it today.

Thanks,
Ismael
Congrats on your new camera! You're getting some nice images out of it. Has your family tried it?
12-31-2019, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Love the Yellow

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

I was always intrigued by the K-01. Almost got one (more than once) but never did. Recently I've been thinking about replacing my Fuji point and shoot with something good but at the same time something my wife and kids would not fear to use. A fellow forum member happened to offer a fully functional one in the marketplace as a great deal due to some cosmetic scratches in the body. We exchanged some messages and long story short, I got it today.

You can see where the scratches are. They were accurately described and documented so no surprises.

So I took it to my workbench and carefully cleaned it. The yellow seems like it may be a challenge to keep clean. Then I took some very mild automotive polishing cream over the scratches but the improvement proved to be rather minimal. But I am happy with it. I think the DA 35 f2.4 (with metal hood) will be a good walkaround lens for testing so on it went.

By the way, for these studio shots I took out my trusty K100DSuper with the M50 f1.7 just for fun.

So I took it for a quick spin. Of course lens selection is most likely the most important parameter. Still learning it and adjusting menu parameters to my liking but it performed as expected.
Welcome to the yellow K-01 club!

I have a yelllow K-01 and I think it is "the" color to own.

QuoteQuote:
The dynamic range in this sensor family is probably the main reason why I love my K5II so much.
There you have it! My "new" K-01. Plenty of life left on this one!

Thanks,
Ismael
I agree. I owned the K5 (a pair, actually), 2 K3's a K3II (still have it) and now a K1 MkII, and I think that the 16mp Sony in the Pentax bodies wasn't matched in IQ until the K-1 came out. As is often the case, Pentax has a way of taking the same sensor as the competition and squeezing just a little better iQ from it.

I don't have the DA 35, but the DA 40 makes the K-01 easy to carry around and I find the 40 to be tack sharp, maybe the sharpest lens I own. If you do not have a copy, you might want to pick one up and give it a workout on the K-01.

Last edited by Ray Pulley; 12-31-2019 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Forgot title
01-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #25
Forum Member

I love my K-01 and use the collapsible HD PENTAX-DA 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE zoom on it (the HD version with the hood, not the standard kit version). The results are far better than with the 18-55 DA zoom, and the compact nature of the lens when collapsed is more in keeping with the K-01