Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2019, 07:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Ron and Clackers. I've used my K-01 for broadcast stuff and nobody has ever complained that it looked worse than any of our other cameras.

08-18-2019, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It arrived Saturday

seems to be in great shape

right now I have the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS [ the best lens in its class ( of one ) ] on it

any recommendation for a case for it

the original designed by Marc Newson seems to be long gone

one of.my first photos from the K 01

one of the lions at the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center

crop and pp
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-19-2019 at 03:13 AM.
08-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The video on the K-01 is as good as any other Pentax - which is to say, it doesn't compare to Panasonic, Sony, or Canon offerings, but generally "good enough" is good enough.

For cases, IMO the Marc Newson limited edition leather case was insanely overpriced. I like neoprene "pouch" cases; the Op/Tech Soft Pouch D-Compact fits with the pancake 40. For a small prime like the DA 35 or the DA Limiteds, the D-Offset is a perfect fit. There are also some Chinese pouches out there (different colors, different brands, but they appear to be from the same factory) that were originally listed for the Nikon P500 or Canon SX60; they fit okay for small lenses.

Edit: I will add that I have both of the Op/Tech cases - the D-compact is my choice for pancake lenses and the D-offset for small primes and the "snubnose" F35-70. I have a yellow Chinese P500 case for storing my Bumblebee and a light blue one for my Smurf (why, yes, I have been accused of having OCD; why do you ask? l

Last edited by THoog; 08-26-2019 at 03:27 PM.
08-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
The video on the K-01 is as good as any other Pentax - which is to say, it doesn't compare to Panasonic, Sony, or Canon offerings, but generally "good enough" is good enough.
For me, shooting in low light is where the K-01's video falls off badly. I had tested it around my house against a Canon 5D a while back. For many things, the K-01 held it's own, but once I started shooting in darker areas, the noise in the K-01's video was a deal-breaker. I found the same thing last week when I used my K-01 in a shoot that I'd shot primarily with a Panasonic GH-5s. Where the light was decent, you'd have a hard time picking out which camera was which. But once I moved to a darker area of the store, the GH-5s handled it with ease while the K-01 got very noisy.

08-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #20

There is a thread on cases, (probably more than one) so find that with some more replies but that reply above sums up some examples.
08-27-2019, 01:52 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I've never felt like the video on the K-01 was really that bad, especially for anything like youtube. I use my KP now as the noise performance on it is absolutely kickass in video, but in a pinch the k-01 is absolutely fine.
08-27-2019, 04:37 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
not one designed for the K 01 but I picked up a Domke F-5XB Shoulder and Belt Ruggedwear Bag

" Holds DSLR or Mirrorless and 1-2 Lenses
Water-Resistant RuggedWear Canvas
Use as a Shoulder or Hip Bag.
Five Compartments and Pockets
Gripper Shoulder Strap
Belt Loop "

I intend to use it for my K 01, extra batteries and lenses

got it from Amazon, interesting brown was the cheapest option

I like brown and I like to save money too

08-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only issue I have with my K-01 is the viewscreen brightness in full sun. My K-1 is usable but my K-01 falls a bit short. There are some attachable viewfinder covers. I bought one of those but have yet to use it. It might just be handy to carry a black cloth in your equipment kit that you can throw over the camera back and your head. I've used this with my K-1 in extremely bright light and it works well. Looks a bit like a turn of the century photographer but who cares

Otherwise, the K-01 is a great little brick type camera and has some excellent features.
10-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep two lenses with my kit just for the 01- The 10-20 f3.5 is the WA and a Promaster (Tamron private labelled) 28-200. The K-01 is my go-to set up when not going heavy (K-1 or K-7) or ultra-light (Q10).