Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K 01 coming soon, advice sought

just arranged to get a K 01 from a forum member via the forum

my thoughts are to use it primarily for video but may use it for photos

any suggestions and hints will be welcomed.

here are my lens options to use with the K 01:

PRIMES

SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited
Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4,
SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8
SMC Pentax 55mm F 1.8
SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro
SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8
SMC DA * 300mm F4 ED (IF ) SDM
Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 500mm f/8 Mirror (55BB)

ZOOMS

Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW

HD Pentax -DA AF rear converter 1.4 AW

08-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
My sister has a K-01 that she uses only for stills, primarily with short zooms (35-70, 28-80), and it works well for her. It also works really well with her Rokinon 14/2.8 ultra-wide.

My only caution is that, because it is Live View only (no viewfinder) you'll need a monopod or tripod with your big lenses. It will likely be too awkward/too tiring to hand hold them.
08-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

That of course depends on what you'll be shooting.
I use mine with the 35mm almost 100% of the time as a walkaround general purpose lens.
I think the 21mm would be the perfect walkaround lens. Unfortunately I don't have it.
In my experience, I find handholding the K-01 harder than a DSLR especially with longer/bigger lenses, but that could be a matter of getting used to it.

Thanks,
08-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
Banned

Zoom lenses zooming in or out during video recording is not something that looks good. So choose your frames and mix them in video editing. A good external microfoon can do wonders for sound. If you record sound externally then you need to up your game in video editing.

Sounds like a good plan. I did some video with K-01 and that can look good. Make a plan what your movie is going to be.

08-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #5
Unregistered User

I'll agree with richfam about the awkwardness of using the K-01 with big lenses.
It is great with smaller lenses, especially the 15mm and the 21mm.

If you do any tabletop photography the always-on live view with focus peaking is a natural too.
I have used it for video and it does OK, but I'm not an expert on it.
08-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Absolutely depends on what you shoot but its a great (undervalued IMO) little camera. Its weaker anti-aliasing filter result in pretty crisp photos and it does a great job with auto exposure. Its only real issue is a lack of a viewfinder but its not the end of world and I have learnt to work around it.

Personally my K-01 goes with me when I'm travelling light and this means the DA40, DA15 and DA70 go with it. The DA limiteds in general are a good match size wise and IQ for the camera IMO.
08-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My K-01 usually mounts the 21mm Ltd. I have the 40mm XS but 40mm is too long for my mind’s eye. But the 21 Ltd is still a compact package.

When I shot film and traveling light, I’d take 35mm f2.8 and a 100mm f2.8 lens with me. That corresponds roughly to the 21 and 70 Ltd.

08-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Long lenses aren’t an issue for me at all. Just don’t do the arms out thing. Cradle the lens and camera bottom, arms in at your sides, camera naturally near your chin, and look slightly down at the LCD. Very stable platform.
08-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Video is garbage. No, seriously, I mean it. Use your cell phone.

K-01 is a dream travel camera, it's easy to use, and it's perfect with manual focus lenses.
Not too long are preferable, unless you use an LCD loupe.
Keep neck strap reasonably short, pull it taut against back of neck, MF with LV magnification, shoot.
08-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Video is garbage. No, seriously, I mean it. Use your cell phone.

K-01 is a dream travel camera, it's easy to use, and it's perfect with manual focus lenses.
Not too long are preferable, unless you use an LCD loupe.
Keep neck strap reasonably short, pull it taut against back of neck, MF with LV magnification, shoot.
so you disagree with the IN DEPTH REVIEW ??

The Bottom Line

Overall, we are very pleased with the K-01's video capabilities, and it makes a great video camera that also takes top-notch stills! This is where the new PRIME M processor really shines. All the video settings are quite easy to access and change, and the red button comes in handy, i.e. to enable focus peaking when shooting videos with manual lenses. Auto exposure and custom image settings work superbly in video mode. The DA 18-135mm lens we used for most of our videos worked very well, as it was easy to hold, focused silently, and allows for plenty of zooming.

If we have to be picky, then we didn't really like the fact that the ISO cannot be snapped out of auto mode while recording, and that you have to set it manually up-front if you want to be able to change it later. The loud clicking sound of the scroll wheel makes an external microphone a necessity for any sort of professional video work, and AF visual confirmation in video mode would be nice. Finally, it would also have been handy if Pentax had implemented a full-time AF system for novice users, and if the AF system could be triggered by half-pressing the shutter release button. Better AF performance, as always, would likewise be welcome, especially with respect to the tracking feature. Using the LCD viewfinder, as with stills, is somewhat problematic when it's very bright outside, but in darker scenarios we can't complain.

The K-01 is without a doubt the most versatile Pentax to date for shooting videos, and it'll make a great companion for your DSLR if that's what you're after. With that said, please note that we're a photo site, and not a video site, and thus we may not evaluate all the criteria (such as video file formats or editing features) that pro videographers consider.

Read more at: Pentax K-01 Review - Movie Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews
08-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #11
Banned

You can make some nice video with the K-01.

I did some nice work.
08-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Video is garbage.
?

Pentax K-01 Review - Video

Perfectly competent, does broadcast TV standard HD quality.
08-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
" my thoughts are to use it primarily for video but may use it for photos "

thanks to the posts of RonHendriks1966 and Clackers

" I'm feeling much better now "

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-15-2019 at 01:24 AM.
08-15-2019, 03:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
so you disagree with the IN DEPTH REVIEW ??
Yup I do.
Don't have much time now, but just compare it with a GH2 (even slightly older) and it's night and day.
Recording times, binning, quality, features...
I've got my K-01 years ago, it's my most used camera, but for video it doesn't cut it.
Short clips in good light, yes, of course, but then again every camera/cellphone can do that.
08-15-2019, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
well -

" It were not best that we should all think alike; it is difference of opinion that makes horse races. "

Mark Twain

Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_129822

the K 01 is scheduled to arrive Saturday

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-15-2019 at 04:06 AM.