Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2019, 04:26 PM - 3 Likes   #1

My New Pentax K-01

Greetings and thank you for having me as a new member. I hope I'm posting this thread in the right place. I've just acquired the beautiful Pentax K-01 in mint condition and with only 606 shutter actuations. I find this camera quite unique and quirky. I've decided to purchase it after rediscovering Pentax a few months ago when purchasing a K5 equally in very good condition. I was blown away with the results I obtained from the K5 and decided to acquire the K-01 to compare it against the K5 and invest again in Pentax. My very first Pentax was a ME-Super in gorgeous black gloss and my first DSLR was the K10D another bombshell from Pentax at the time.

Now, I'm hooked on mirrorless cameras and liked the idea of owning Pentax's only APS-C mirrorless. So far I'm happy with it and still getting used to its somewhat different ergonomics . Straight away I can say that I'm struggling with the AF and the dark screen when shooting in strong sunlight. I've updated to the latest firmware and I'm sure with more time, I will find a way to work around the AF and screen. I'm quite interested in acquiring the optical viewfinder add-on but it's quite expensive for me at the moment. I find the handling very good and love the feel of all the aluminium knobs. So far I've only shot in Raw and I'm finding the dynamic range outstanding just as the K5.

I'm looking forward rediscovering Pentax one more time through my photography and this forum

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! Get the 35mm F2.4 to go with your 50mm and have fun!
10-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
I have a yellow K-01. The sensor is basically the same as the K5 family with a few minor differences. I have found it very capable. I'm now carrying it as a backup of my K5II as they share batteries, lenses, flashes, etc. The 40XS lens makes it a nimble, small and light combo that can pack a punch. I've also used it with the DA35 with excellent results!
Hope you enjoy it for years to come!

Thanks,
10-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

welcome aboard!!

you have a nice dynamic duo to fool around with

happy shooting!

10-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. I have a K-01 like yours. It is very capable. I find AF to ne OK with some lenses and terrible with others (Like the FA 135/2.8). You could try the JJC pop up hood. I Use them on my Q7 and Q10 and they make quite a difference. You can find it on ebay.
10-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #6
Forum Member

I also have the K-01 and the K5. I most often use the tracking auto focus mode on the K-01. It’s great for pointing at a subject, half-pressing the shutter and recomposing before taking the shot. My only gripe about the K-01 is that autofocus is terrible in low light, but you can quickly switch to manual and use focus peaking as long as you don’t have a fast-moving subject.

The DA40 XS lens is a must for the K-01. They were designed for each other and make a great kit.
10-28-2019, 12:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

looks exactly like the one i used to have!
wish i'd never sold it...
the grey one is so stylish

indeed the dark screen in bright sunlight was an issue

10-28-2019, 02:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations! I have a bumble bee K-01 (yellow and black) with a DA 40 XS - its fantastic when I'm traveling very light.

The auto exposure and autofocus is pretty consistent with the K-01 (a bit better than my K-5 in my experience). Also I think the anti-aliasing filter is a little weaker on the K-01 than the K-5 and seems to gain a tiny bit of sharpness from it. But yes the display can be a bit of pain in bright light and I find I'm often holding the K-01 with one hand and shielding the display with the other.
10-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very good-looking K-01! Even with the K-3 II and K-70 I still with mine quite a bit.
10-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting to hear the favorite lens choices, my yellow one is practically glued to a Voigtlander 20, which also results in a small package!

Gerard
10-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm looking at the 40mm XS on eBay as I'm writing this. I also managed to find a genuine Mark Newson leather case for the K-01on Amazon, only issue is the asking price £107 ouch !! and it's not the type of case that I would call practical. I'm uploading 2 photos of that case from Amazon.

Today the weather and light in Suffolk was great and I got quite a few good shots with the 50mm and 18-50 Retractable kit lens. I now only use the 50mm in MF as it hunts too much and can be so noisy. The K-01 is really growing on me the more I use it.
10-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
I'm uploading 2 photos of the Mark Newson leather case for the Pentax K-01 from Amazon.
Attached Images

11-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #13

Congrats. I love this camera. I wish they would come out with an updated version.
11-19-2019, 06:22 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frenchkiddo Quote
Greetings and thank you for having me as a new member. I hope I'm posting this thread in the right place. I've just acquired the beautiful Pentax K-01 in mint condition and with only 606 shutter actuations. I find this camera quite unique and quirky. I've decided to purchase it after rediscovering Pentax a few months ago when purchasing a K5 equally in very good condition. I was blown away with the results I obtained from the K5 and decided to acquire the K-01 to compare it against the K5 and invest again in Pentax. My very first Pentax was a ME-Super in gorgeous black gloss and my first DSLR was the K10D another bombshell from Pentax at the time.

Now, I'm hooked on mirrorless cameras and liked the idea of owning Pentax's only APS-C mirrorless. So far I'm happy with it and still getting used to its somewhat different ergonomics . Straight away I can say that I'm struggling with the AF and the dark screen when shooting in strong sunlight. I've updated to the latest firmware and I'm sure with more time, I will find a way to work around the AF and screen. I'm quite interested in acquiring the optical viewfinder add-on but it's quite expensive for me at the moment. I find the handling very good and love the feel of all the aluminium knobs. So far I've only shot in Raw and I'm finding the dynamic range outstanding just as the K5.

I'm looking forward rediscovering Pentax one more time through my photography and this forum
Welcome back to Pentax. You have a nice looking K-01. It definitely needs the ultra flat 40mm XS to be whole. I still shoot the yellow bumblebee a lot. A very simple camera to use. Enjoy.

You need to eventually check out Pentax's other mirrorless platform - the Q. It is just as addictive.

Thanks,
barondla
12-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by TLiivo Quote
Welcome! Get the 35mm F2.4 to go with your 50mm and have fun!
That's what I was going to say!