Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2019, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The flash does not come out anymore.

Hello, I bought a K-01 one year ago and I made a few hundred photos. This is my "backup" after my K-3. I do not use it often, but the other day I wanted to take pictures of a family meal and the flash does not come out anymore I tried several different modes and lenses, but nothing to do. Any ideas? Thank you for the answers.

11-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-01 - Flash won't come on - PentaxForums.com
If all this doesn't help, given that the camera needs to be on (unlike, for instance, the K-30, where it's just a catch and a spring) it's probably a failed electromagnet.
11-26-2019, 05:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oops..an electromagnet I'll look at it more closely. I will find out elsewhere on the internet and see the result. Thank you for this information.
11-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Someone on the FB page of Pentax Cameras told me that if there was anything on the hot shoe that prevented the flash from coming out. A contact cleat goes down into the case if we put a flash cobra or something else. It's a security so that the pop-up does not hit what we put in the hot shoes. Problem solved 😊

PENTAX K-01 - Google Photos

11-28-2019, 02:59 AM   #5

Soooo, you had something in the hot-shoe?
11-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #6
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Achromatter Quote
Exactly what I was thinking .... but I still have the Vivitar flash I used with my Super Program back when our daughters were young - yes, I did test it with a digital multimeter to determine that it is 'digital safe', so I use it when I have to take flash photos because it is farther from the camera lens, it is less of a point-source, and it does rotate up. Unfortunately, that is not what the OP asked, though.
11-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Achromatter Quote
Yes I have a protection flash hot shoes :-(

PENTAX K-01 - Google Photos
5 Days Ago   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Exactly what I was thinking .... but I still have the Vivitar flash I used with my Super Program back when our daughters were young - yes, I did test it with a digital multimeter to determine that it is 'digital safe', so I use it when I have to take flash photos because it is farther from the camera lens, it is less of a point-source, and it does rotate up. Unfortunately, that is not what the OP asked, though.
Mikemac isn't saying to use a flash in the hotshoe. Looking at his Google picture link it shows a closeup of a plunger hidden under the rail of the hot shoe. I think he is saying anything mounted in the hot shoe depresses the plunger and keeps the flash from popping up. ANYTHING, including the little plastic hot shoe covers! It is a safety feature. Clear the hot shoe and the built in flash will pop up when needed.

Thanks,
barondla

4 Days Ago   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
reh321 : I think your answer is about another thread :confus:
4 Days Ago   #10
Pentaxian

Strange... my K-01's pop-up flash pops up even with the hot shoe cover in place.
3 Days Ago   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Strange... my K-01's pop-up flash pops up even with the hot shoe cover in place.
Do you always have the little tab under the skate as on my picture?
3 Days Ago   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikemac Quote
Do you always have the little tab under the skate as on my picture?
I checked again... all the plastic hotshoe covers that I possess (the original ones from K100D Super, K-01 and K-30) have an indentation on the left side, so the metal flap doesn't depress the white tab.
Manually depressing that inhibits the pop-up flash as you correctly diagnosed.

Now the question is: why your cover has no indentation? Third-party one?
In this case, all that's needed is probably to scrape the whole left hand side, save for the first 4-5 mm or so, like this:
Pentax Hotshoe Cover FK 31040 B&H Photo Video

...or just buy an original one