Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2020, 03:54 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gylfimag Quote
The small size of the DA 40mm XS lens has nothing to do with the fact that it was a kit lens for the mirrorless K-01. It works just as well on Pentax DSLRs. It was actually based on a film era design, the M series 40mm lens. It is a fine lens optically (much better than the original M series lens) and certainly small. The main problem is that the focal length is not very useful on an APS-c camera. Pentax would have been better off using the DA21mm as a kit lens. It is similar in size but a much more useful focal length. Or they could have used a collapsible zoom, like the DA 18-50 lens that they introduced later.
The 40 XS is basically a slightly crippled version of the DA 40. It is a little smaller, but it also lacks a hood and is much harder to manually focus (not that the DA limited is easy to manually focus). Optically they should be pretty similar.

I shoot my K-01 with the DA 15 and DA 40 quite a bit and they work pretty well. I don't typically auto focus the DA 15, but the DA 40 has a short enough focus throw that even with the K-01's limitations it still focuses quite quickly.

11-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have NEVER followed the people who say 40mm isn't useful on APSC. 58mm was a normal lens for some camera lines. The DA 40 comes in around the same field of view as a 60mm lens. It is barely telephoto at all. If the idea of a slightly more telephoto than normal "normal" lens is daunting - spend some more time with it. Do a month of "Single In" with it. It's just about as versatile as a normal lens - perhaps slightly more useful for environmental portraits than a true normal but it is really not very tight framing.

Would a 21 have worked? I'm not sure. That's close to a film era 30mm perspective and that seems a bit wide but the GR with a 28mm equivalent works well so it probably would have been a fine choice. The ideal might have been closer to an actual 28mm giving us a 42mm equivalent which seems to echo those rangefinders of yore. In any case, being an ILC buyers were free to try the 21 but that doesn't appear to have happened as much as it should have. This suggests that the fault in the camera wasn't the choice of kit lens perhaps.
12-06-2020, 10:46 AM   #93
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have NEVER followed the people who say 40mm isn't useful on APSC. 58mm was a normal lens for some camera lines. The DA 40 comes in around the same field of view as a 60mm lens. It is barely telephoto at all. If the idea of a slightly more telephoto than normal "normal" lens is daunting - spend some more time with it. Do a month of "Single In" with it. It's just about as versatile as a normal lens - perhaps slightly more useful for environmental portraits than a true normal but it is really not very tight framing.
I'm not convinced that "true normal" is well-defined.
Both of my 35mm rangefinder cameras - purchased in 1969 and 1973, respectively - had 45mm lenses.
My understanding is that 55mm was commonly kitted with Spotmatic cameras.
The Pentax DSLR cameras I - purchased in 1979 and 1983, respectively - were kitted with 50mm lenses.
My taste has gone to wider than that in recent years.

I believe that lens kitted with had no effect on K-01 sales.
12-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The Pentax DSLR cameras I - purchased in 1979 and 1983, respectively - were kitted with 50mm lenses.
My taste has gone to wider than that in recent years.

I assume you meant SLR and yes by that time every major SLR brand was selling fast 50ís with the slow cheapie being f2 typically. The 40 on the k-1 was a tiny bit long and a wider kit lens might have been preferred but I too doubt this drove the lackluster sales.

12-15-2020, 05:34 PM   #95
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

I assume you meant SLR and yes by that time every major SLR brand was selling fast 50ís with the slow cheapie being f2 typically. The 40 on the k-1 was a tiny bit long and a wider kit lens might have been preferred but I too doubt this drove the lackluster sales.
So, ultimately, you agree with my final sentence
12-15-2020, 07:27 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, ultimately, you agree with my final sentence
Yes. I do. But I also donít know. Iím only giving my opinion.
12-15-2020, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #97

Too Radical?

The K-01 is actually a very accomplished camera with incredible image processing and image quality. The usual bozos who reviewed it really didn't want to take pictures and put quality glass on to see what was possible.
It is a very compact design with a strong chassis and can use legacy glass all the way back to the Takumars.
It is better built than most of its contemporaries and produces professional results. It was a fine design from Marc Newsom and the ergonomics are easily good enough. As usual with Pentax the focus is on image making and it is no slouch. I recommend it as a worthwhile picture taking tool.
12-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For an unique camera like that at that particular point and in time, I am not sure what would constitute as "success." There wasn't a lot of buzz prior to its release, if I remember correctly. I bought one because I liked the look of it, and for me it was a fun camera to shoot with. I had mine converted to 830mm IR by Issac Szabo, and I still have fun with it.

12-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #99
Pentaxian

In any case, being an ILC buyers were free to try the 21 but that doesn't appear to have happened as much as it should have. This suggests that the fault in the camera wasn't the choice of kit lens perhaps.
As you guys are talking about this, I'm beginning to wonder if it would have helped if they had billed the K-01 as a street camera and offered the 21mm or 15mm as alternative kit lenses.
12-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #100
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
As you guys are talking about this, I'm beginning to wonder if it would have helped if they had billed the K-01 as a street camera and offered the 21mm or 15mm as alternative kit lenses.
When I watched Kai's video review of the camera, the way he was using it for street photography appealed to me. Some street photographers want a stealth camera, not yellow, but if you're dressed like Kai in the video, you're not in that group.

12-17-2020, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
When I watched Kai's video review of the camera, the way he was using it for street photography appealed to me. Some street photographers want a stealth camera, not yellow, but if you're dressed like Kai in the video, you're not in that group.

Pentax K-01 Hands-on Review - YouTube
I miss when he was doing those reviews and that whole team. It was a magical combination.
12-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the description as an artsy yellow brick was what most people knew the camera as (and yes, there was a black version). I never heard anybody really say that they loved the camera. It didn't fit the hand well like other Pentax SLRs, the magic just wasn't there. I was thinking of it as a backup, but when I heard there wasn't much weight difference from an SLR I lost interest.
12-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #103
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just ahead of its time
Released by the wrong manufacturer and so no one cared
12-18-2020, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #104
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
I use my yellow Q-7 the same way.
I don't dress any differently than usual, but after one look, people 'write it off' as a toy, and I can take pictures at my convenience - so it basically is a stealth camera.
Honestly, I still cannot see the LCD in bright light, though, so I still would not purchase another "Q" or a K-01 without an EVF.
12-18-2020, 11:04 PM   #105
Forum Member

I use my yellow Q-7 the same way.
I don't dress any differently than usual, but after one look, people 'write it off' as a toy, and I can take pictures at my convenience - so it basically is a stealth camera.
Honestly, I still cannot see the LCD in bright light, though, so I still would not purchase another "Q" or a K-01 without an EVF.
The Q system, K-01, K-S1, and all the colored K-30 and K-50 models illustrate how back in the day Pentax was willing to think outside the box. That's my main takeaway from the K-01.