Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2019, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Not if they were to develop a shorter registration distance body with a native K-mount to new-mount AF adapter. That's all Sony did to attract many (not all, but many) A-mount users over to E-mount. Nikon and Canon have followed suit with F-to-Z and EF-to-RF adapters. That's all it needs...
I wholeheartedly agree. If and/or when Pentax finally tackles mirrorless again, I think they should develop a new, native mount for
for the format and a cracking good adapter. Access to the legacy of the K-mount is essential, but pinning the body to only K-mount
will forever anchor the platform in the past, at least for a great many shooters, particularly younger shooters who don't have an
investment in old glass.

Short focal flange distance, cracking good K-mount adapter + ability to adapt other lenses as well would be win/win.

12-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it was the lack of a viewfinder, and none of the main benefits that other mirrorless cameras were offering, namely small size and adaptability of other lenses.
12-16-2019, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For me, it was slow AF. Still... I owned three different k-01 (You know, that's what pentaxians do)
12-16-2019, 05:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it was full frame and had an electronic viewfinder it would probably be in its Mark III version by now.

12-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #20
2B1
Forum Member

It failed because it was slated by the media and Pentaxians, for being boxy, ....(Just look at the size of some of those M/L APSC and
m 4/3.today).
As was the K-S1 and K500...actually all decent cameras I suspect,
Certainly the K-S1 is
12-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was too expensive for what it was. It was launched at what, 850 dollars? And that was basically for a non sealed, K30 that was stuck in live view all of the time, but somehow had a buffer of 3 RAW images (if you were using the multiple exposure setting), useless auto focus for anything moving, and wasn't really much smaller than small-ish SLRs like the kx had already been.

I bought one at 250 dollars and was reasonably pleased with it, but I wouldn't have dreamed of getting it at 800. With small lenses like the DA 15/40 or the FA limiteds it was really a very reasonably sized camera. I still shoot landscape shots with it.
12-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I owned a couple of them. A little too cute for my taste. They drew comments from bystanders that were not at all flattering.

12-16-2019, 06:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For me the K-30/K-50 is already at the lower limit of usefulness in terms of size. I just don't think the K-01 was that useful as a camera at that price point. That is, I wouldn't have bought one were I into photography at the time.
12-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #24

Just passing by to say:
-Marc Newson must be one of biggest overrated designers ever.
-If Pentax ever jumps into the mirrorless wagon again, hopefully they use the L alliance mount and offer an adapter for K mount lenses. Simple and effective.
12-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No evf, no short mount registration to reduce size and allow multiple brands of lenses to be used, no pdaf sensors on chip...

If you did it today and have it a great evf and an adapter that allowed K mount lenses (including af) and had pdaf sensors on chip etc then it might just make a splash.
12-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
For me the K-30/K-50 is already at the lower limit of usefulness in terms of size. I just don't think the K-01 was that useful as a camera at that price point. That is, I wouldn't have bought one were I into photography at the time.
and this may be part of Ricoh’s problem. Many of us think the K-30 is too big, and users like you say it is too small. They seem to have users all over the map as far as size is concerned.
12-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #27
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most people who criticise the K-01 have never owned or used one. Opinions about it tend to be no more substantial than fashion statements.

I would not have considered the K-01 at its launch price but I got one when they were at bargain prices. I wanted something smaller than a DSLR, that could bump around in the front box on my quad bike. It may not be WR but it has taken all that punishment without letting me down - although I mostly carry the Q7 now. It gives very good images when quality counts. I would not hesitate to take it on a overseas trip.

A lot of people did not like the styling - but styling doesn't take pictures. I don't care what individuals think, but when reviewers complain about the styling, I think the review is unlikely to be objective. A lot of mirrorless systems echo the same styling now and no one complains - but then, those systems are not Pentax.

I think the main problem with the K-01 (apart from the initial pricing) was it was the child of a short term relationship with Hoya. I cannot understand why it was never revised and offered with a FF sensor (which it will certainly handle) and an EVF. Possibly internal politics have dictated that it should be forgotten. But if Ricoh/Pentax go down the mirrorless path again, I think they should use L mount and develop their own adapter to enable any K mount lens to be used on the body.
12-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #28

K-01 mirrorless was awesome but then modern mirrorless systems had just arrived and Canon and Nikon were not even seriously thinking though Nikon had launched 10MP IJ1.. Olympus i think with EP1 ensured people take notice but IMHO it was Sony's brave decision that made it so popular and the way Sony and remarkably so came out with Nex, then 6000 series of beauties and then the FF 7 and 9, sony catapulted itself to leadership so much so that they have beaten Nikon to the second position, thanks to their mirrorless range. K-01 was already obsolete by then. If Ricoh is listening they should continue more development on K-01 type mirror less ..Pentax is known to make smaller DSLRs then competition which will prove handy and this way Ricoh can maintain K-mount. Sony Killed the Minolta -A mount and shunted Sony/Minolta users somewhat to so a huge number of some of the finest lenses from Minolta era. yes you can use it with adaptor but a direct compatibility is definitely a better option. Mirrorless K- Mount System will be awesome. Pentax-KP size gives lot of hope that a smaller camera with K- mount can be produced.
12-16-2019, 08:34 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Not if they were to develop a shorter registration distance body with a native K-mount to new-mount AF adapter. That's all Sony did to attract many (not all, but many) A-mount users over to E-mount. Nikon and Canon have followed suit with F-to-Z and EF-to-RF adapters. That's all it needs...
My understanding is that the {Nikon} F-to-Z adaptor doesn’t have a motor, so all lenses depending on screw-drive become manual focus. I don’t believe that would be acceptable for Pentax in the year 2020.
12-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot say why it failed, but I can add why I bought mine. At the time I was interested in using a GigaPan. I already had my first Pentax, a K-5 but that would require a larger and more expensive GigaPan than the K-01, which I bought (yellow) at a much much lower price than $800. I only made one GigaPan image as a test, ultimately heading in a different direction. Later my daughter used it, paired with a SMC-F 35-70mm lens, during a college summer internship documenting a cyclist in a cross-county bicycle race. It held up okay for her; not perfect but it did the trick. I only pull it out occasionally, the being a few weeks ago. I like to use it with the SMC Pentax 50mm 1.4. Thank goodness it doesn’t have an EVF, which, at the time it was released, were typically horrible on any camera, IMO. I am planning to make videos with it next, as it has movie features that were a step up from those offered on the K-5.