Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2020, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #61

The K-01 is successful for those who loved its design and performance ..

02-04-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It might have helped if Pentax didn't release the K-01 with what was practically beta firmware.
Could make the argument that it's still in Beta - they never finished any support for the GPS unit for astro-photography use.

If I only had those skills dept,..., I would love to see the Pentax firmware cracked and decoded, just for the K-01, max out the Data rate for the H.264, an all i-frame option, an Mjpeg option, cut n paste the IBIS from the K-5 in to replace the MovieSR, and make it so when you plug in a screen to the HDMI, that camera stays in Record Modes, rather then switching to Playback only.

QuoteOriginally posted by Khalid Quote
The K-01 is successful for those who loved its design and performance ..
They'd be a very small bunch. There's many more people who love the K-01 for what's on the inside, because it is a good camera inside, the design is just un-ergonomical.
02-07-2020, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

I remain convinced these would have sold like hotcakes had they gone with retro-styling. Put the guts of a K-01 into something resembling the Pentax ME, and they would have had a sure winner, given the state of the market at that time.
02-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
I remain convinced these would have sold like hotcakes had they gone with retro-styling. Put the guts of a K-01 into something resembling the Pentax ME, and they would have had a sure winner, given the state of the market at that time.
There is just no way that would fit, I agree it would have been nice. Just the difference in battery sized between the ME and K01 is huge.

02-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #65
Veteran Member

You mean, in to a body designed by someone who understands camera ergonomics?
I agree, they definitely would have sold a lot more, look at the Fuji designs since.

---------- Post added 16-02-20 at 02:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rmalbers Quote
Just the difference in battery sized between the ME and K01 is huge.
Look from underneath, the battery is half the depth of the grip - Shifting the (useless) HDMI and the USB/AV over to the other side, as it is on most bodies, would have enabled a more slender grip.
02-25-2020, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty much... optional viewfinder thrown in
The famous designer not letting ergonomics get in the way of his genius 😀

Last edited by Transit; 02-25-2020 at 01:54 AM.
11-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #67
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Could make the argument that it's still in Beta - they never finished any support for the GPS unit for astro-photography use.

If I only had those skills dept,..., I would love to see the Pentax firmware cracked and decoded, just for the K-01, max out the Data rate for the H.264, an all i-frame option, an Mjpeg option, cut n paste the IBIS from the K-5 in to replace the MovieSR, and make it so when you plug in a screen to the HDMI, that camera stays in Record Modes, rather then switching to Playback only.

They'd be a very small bunch. There's many more people who love the K-01 for what's on the inside, because it is a good camera inside, the design is just un-ergonomical.

Firmware update tweaked by somebody who knows how to tweak for performance would be sweet proposition if possible.

I don't think Pentax would do this at this point.

11-15-2020, 11:14 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Firmware completely hacked open would be better option, just stick to all the bodies they've gone E.O.L. on, so not to compromise current hardware.
11-16-2020, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

I think the K-01 is one of the bodies that would benefit the most from a full firmware hack. Enable GPS functionality, up bitrates in video, enable SR during video, etc... would be amazing.

Perhaps some day there will be a firmware hacking initiative that actually gets somewhere.
11-16-2020, 04:16 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's more like a point-and-shoot than a mirror less, but if I had to switch to mirror less from DSLR, I might start out with this camera rather than the outrageously expensive models from other manufacturers. Maybe Pentax should introduce a K02 model with EVF(electronic view finder), but that would not be important to me. The fact that you can uses existing K mount lenses is a HUGE plus !
11-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #71
Veteran Member

I am full into DSLR with my K-S2 and I am not looking elsewhere to check if the grass is greener. Still, I regret two things with my K-S2 : it's weight, first, and the time of operation when shooting in Live View. Autofocus is slower with most lenses, and taking a shot involves a lot of mirror slapping.

A K-01 II, to be successful, would need to be significantly lighter (something a DSLR cannot provide), and much quicker to take shots (autofocus and general operation), and have an EVF, while still using a K-mount.
11-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #72
Veteran Member

The K-01 was never meant for the kind of the person that would frequent a camera forum like this one. It was meant to appeal to a younger, hipper crowd, thus the hiring of Marc Newson for the project. I loved the looks of it from day 1, and it's actually held up better (aesthetically-speaking) than other cameras from that era. It was doomed due to the one thing that appealed to folks in this forum - it's K-mount compatibility. That resulted in a camera too big for people cross-shopping Sony NEX, Olympus, or others. The timing was tough too, right when phones were becoming the snapshot tool of choice.

In the end, it tried to be too many things to too many people and succeeded at none. That said, I'm never selling mine.
11-16-2020, 06:35 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
I am full into DSLR with my K-S2 and I am not looking elsewhere to check if the grass is greener. Still, I regret two things with my K-S2 : it's weight, first, and the time of operation when shooting in Live View. Autofocus is slower with most lenses, and taking a shot involves a lot of mirror slapping.

A K-01 II, to be successful, would need to be significantly lighter (something a DSLR cannot provide), and much quicker to take shots (autofocus and general operation), and have an EVF, while still using a K-mount.
It's difficult to add a new feature (EVF) while reducing weight, yet maintain good build quality.

I owned a Fuji X-T20. It's about 200g lighter than the K-01 and has an EVF. It also has inferior build quality - body panels flex pretty easily - lacks IBIS, and has poorer battery life.

The Nikon Z50 has an EVF and is about 111g lighter than the K-01. It also lacks IBIS and has far inferior battery life.

The Sony a6600 has an EVF, IBIS, and superior battery life. It weighs 58g less than the K-01.

Based on these comparisons, prospects don't look good for reducing a hypothetical K-02's weight "significantly" while maintaining Pentax's standard of apparent build quality.
11-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #74
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe take a KP body, update the sensor to one with dual pixel af, replace the pentaprism along with the mirror mechanicals and the af sensor with a 3-4 meg electronic viewfinder and bingo - a usable mirrorless Pentax. Keeps a decently built body that should be a bit lighter overall.
11-16-2020, 08:24 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Maybe take a KP body, update the sensor to one with dual pixel af, replace the pentaprism along with the mirror mechanicals and the af sensor with a 3-4 meg electronic viewfinder and bingo - a usable mirrorless Pentax. Keeps a decently built body that should be a bit lighter overall.
I really think it would require a lot more work than it sounds to make a camera like that...