Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 53 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2020, 07:24 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
the title of this thread illustrates the fact that there weren't enough of you
The title of this thread illustrates nothing.
It is a "When did you stop beating your wife?"-type question.

The K-01 was even successful enough for it to experience a brief post-discontinuation revival.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm sort of surprised that the K-S1 was never re-visited
Don't forget the K-S2.

It inherited the boxy shape of the K-01 that lets you stand it on a flat surface when a tripod is not an option.
And the flippiness of its screen is unrivalled in real-camera Pentaxland.

12-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The title of this thread illustrates nothing.
It is a "When did you stop beating your wife?"-type question.

The K-01 was even successful enough for it to experience a brief post-discontinuation revival.
Not at all.
Having a few people pick up units off a 'discontinued shelf' hardly qualifies as a "revival"
No one expects to see a K-02.

QuoteQuote:
Don't forget the K-S2.
It inherited the boxy shape of the K-01 that lets you stand it on a flat surface when a tripod is not an option.
And the flippiness of its screen is unrivalled in real-camera Pentaxland.
The K-70 has an "articulated screen" and my KP has a "flippy screen"; people are constantly complaining because the K-3iii's screen doesn't "flip".

All of my recent SLR's and DSLR's have had a flat bottom which allows them to stand on a flat surface when a tripod is not an option.
I even have a Thanksgiving photo I took around twenty years ago with a Canon SLR that I took of my family by placing my Canon SLR on a flat surface because I didn't have a tripod available.
12-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Not at all.
Having a few people pick up units off a 'discontinued shelf' hardly qualifies as a "revival"
As usual, you are deflecting.

I am talking about the last run of "smurf" production.
All of my recent SLR's and DSLR's have had a flat bottom which allows them to stand on a flat surface when a tripod is not an option.
Try portrait orientation instead, then you might understand the K-01 and K-S2 better.
12-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
As usual, you are deflecting.

I am talking about the last run of "smurf" production.

Try portrait orientation instead, then you might understand the K-01 and K-S2 better.
No matter how you cast it, there will be no more K-0n from Pentax. None!

12-26-2020, 12:07 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The K-S1 is very similar in size to the K-01 but has a nice viewfinder and better functionality. The K-S1 doesn't have sealing or a flippy screen, but then again, neither does the K-01.

I'm sort of surprised that the K-S1 was never re-visited as that sort of camera done right (think kx series) has sold pretty well -- small, good OVF, basic functions in place, maybe offer it in colors. Unfortunately, the K-S1 was panned here and elsewhere for the lights it had (which weren't really that big a deal).
True, the K-S1 was really nice. Besides, Leds could be turned off as far as I know.
12-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
True, the K-S1 was really nice. Besides, Leds could be turned off as far as I know.
Yeah I agree. I don't get reviewers logic for docking points from the camera just for having LEDs, especially since if I recall correctly, the LEDs were used to signal modes and such and thus were not entirely "cosmetic".
12-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #127

QuoteOriginally posted by BillO Quote
Why did the K-01 not succeed? I like some of the features coming out in mirrorless cameras, but I have no desire to start a new collection of lenses, or give up things like auto focus and exposure or open aperture metering. It would have been swell if the K-01 started a series that carried on with newer models.
Not a good point of view from you ... a great camera for those who loved it and knew to use it ... Excellent performance and was distinguished by its design

12-26-2020, 10:31 PM - 2 Likes   #128
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like there is still some appreciation for the K-01 out there. This recent Youtube video is quite a nice tribute to it. It's in Japanese but not too long and with plenty of nice visuals.

The product page he shows is still accessible on Ricoh Japan's website.
K-01 | RICOH IMAGING

The nice square catalogue they made for it is up there as well, although I can't find an English version.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/support/catalog/pdf/k-01.pdf
12-27-2020, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the important thing is that it still works. I keep one in my truck and snap landscape shots with it on my way to work, typically with one of the DA limiteds (15/40) that I own. I don't really enjoy it for following my kids around because it can't keep up with them, but it really turns in nice results and has given me 7 years of shooting enjoyment.
12-28-2020, 02:04 PM   #130
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillO Quote
Why did the K-01 not succeed?
No Electronic ViewFinder. That's all.
12-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #131
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The loud populous wanted the EVF.
Ricoh under the Ricoh brand re do it and its the GR series just not a interchangeable lens system ( k mount ).
The same mob today want a Pentax mirrorless go figure
12-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
No Electronic ViewFinder. That's all.
Exactly... I'm bright sun it was painful o use. My XG-1 has an EVF. It's terrible, but if I need it, I can frame with it. Better than nothing.

My K-01 was my walk around landscape camera, so no lens changes for landscapes. Sadly it's long gone, but I still throw this into a thread from time to time.

Last edited by normhead; 12-28-2020 at 07:12 PM.
12-29-2020, 03:57 AM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we need to clarify. Pentax sold all of the K-01s they made and even released a smurf blue version of the K-01 with a second manufacturing run. So it is not as though the K-01 didn't sell. It actually sold pretty well in the end.

The K-01 didn't sell at the list price because Pentaxians viewed it as a crippled K-30 with odd styling and an expensive price. Hipsters (who I think Pentax was hoping to target) never even noticed its existence. I think the real question is why Pentax viewed this as a dead end and didn't try to fix some of the issues and eventually release a second version with more functionality and an EVF and more normal ergonomics? Sony had plenty of cameras that were so-so on their way to creating the A7 line of cameras, but they kept throwing stuff against the wall till something stuck.

I don't think that Pentax really has the staffing to do more than what they are doing and mirrorless cameras (other than stuff like the GR series) probably would take a lot more R and D to get off the ground than what it is worth.
12-29-2020, 04:28 AM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-01 sold very well in Japan, was well received there.

I loved its optics, felt the design was great.
But it had 2 flaws:
- no VF (or at least EVF)
- terrible reflection on LCD, it its days already terrible in bright sunlight, these days it would be even worse

I never got the idea it was meant for hipsters, that was the K-S1.

The LED's were a gimmick for the young ones, in those days running-shoes with LEDs were hip as well.
But one could turn them off partly or completly.

I guess the design did not attract those who were attracted to the K-01 but in every but one aspect it was the better camera:
The one aspect: Sometimes the solenoid failed, the K-01 had the same stepper motor as the K5.
But then, the K-S1 would have been too large with the stepper motor and in need of the D-LI90 battery with its larger capacity.
12-29-2020, 06:17 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
But then, the K-S1 would have been too large with the stepper motor and in need of the D-LI90 battery with its larger capacity.
The KP uses the stepper motor, and still it uses the smaller battery.