Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by G&R Quote
I feel the camera world needs an ultra lightweight K-mount camera, and that probably means mirrorless. For this reason I want a K-01.

I have never held a K-01. Photos of it make me think the designer was on drugs. K-mount means sizeable lenses; and the camera/lens needs to be useable in combination. If the lens is forward heavy, then the body needs a proper hand-grip. Decades ago, Fuji sensibly added an eyepiece to their mirrorless cameras to solve the lighting issue.

Show me a K-02, with the weight and technologies of K-01, but wrapped in the shape of a proper camera with a handgrip and an eyepiece. I would probably be tempted by such a camera, but if Ricoh tried to charge the same price as a camera with mirror and pentaprism then I'd walk away because lightweight, fewer parts, simpler mechanics should mean lower costs.
Two handed grip - left supporting lens and right supporting body - will fix any ‘balance’ issue.
I used my {even smaller} Q-7 with a 70-200mm lens that way.

02-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I will never get another MILC without an EVF, because I refused to work ‘blind’.
A cheap loupe from Ebay might unblind you?
02-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #153
G&R

Two handed grip
I use one hand for the focus ring. It is easier to change a camera than it is to change a person
02-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I have two "loupe"s - a collapsible one from Hoodman and a "Hoodman clone" that attaches as a tripod would, but they more than double the size of the Q-7.
I also have a "GV-1" 'bullseye' designed for the GR that gives me a rough idea of what will be included in a photo.

But that is beside the point - I should not have to add to my kit to see.
If Pentax will not provide an attached EVF as other companies do, I will not purchase another one of their MILCs.

02-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #155
Pentaxian

I use one hand for the focus ring. It is easier to change a camera than it is to change a person
My use of a two-handed hold dates back to the 1970's, when my left hand was used to focus a "MF" lens.
02-26-2021, 12:33 PM   #156
Pentaxian

I should not have to add to my kit to see.
Well always remember to attach a lens because all MILCs cant see without one.

Facts are,accessories have been used with cameras for a long time.To complain after purchase is comical.
02-26-2021, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian

Well always remember to attach a lens because all MILCs cant see without one.

Facts are,accessories have been used with cameras for a long time.To complain after purchase is comical.
Two lenses were kitted with my Q-7.
I determined before I purchased this kit that a "loupe" was available, and I purchased it with this understanding, despite statements here that I would be able to see without it.
Seeing the back LCD in direct sunlight was as difficult as I had expected it to be, and my statement has always been "I will never again purchase a MILC without an EVF".
I am not complaining about the situation - I am making a statement about future intentions.
In particular, I did not purchase a K-01, nor would I purchase any K-02 without an EVF.

02-26-2021, 02:34 PM   #158
G&R

My use of a two-handed hold dates back to the 1970's, when my left hand was used to focus a "MF" lens.
Yes, I have gone down a dark alley - I agree the left hand is with the lens. The right hand is on the body grip.

For me, the right hand needs to comfortable support the camera. I find the K3 corners are too small and sharp to hold for an extended time, or its hanging in the air off my fingers with my index painfully curled to find the shutter release - either way its too small. I find the K10D handgrip too shallow causing my fingers to squeeze harder and eventually cramp. I find the bulky and rounded GX10 just right because my palm and fingers are all relaxed when supporting all the weight and all my finger tips are in the right places. When I look at the K-01 its shape represents everything that I struggle to hold steady unless its a point and shoot with a weightless mini lens.

Last edited by G&R; 02-26-2021 at 02:47 PM.
02-27-2021, 02:46 AM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One wants the K-01 for it being small!
A loupe makes it large.
02-27-2021, 03:06 AM   #160
G&R

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Pentax has not catered to those seeking light weight and full size. My wife, for example, finds all weather sealed steel bodied cameras too heavy. The only camera she will carry is a Fuji. From my point of view the K-01 is the right technology in the wrong package, and judging by historical outcomes I suspect the sales and marketing teams at Pentax would agree.

Obviously, following from my previous post, I am picky about camera bodies. I have been on the lookout for an upgrade from the GX10 for over a decade, and my view is that Pentax needs to start modelling cameras to fit bigger hands. Nobody thought it was a good idea to miniaturise piano keyboards, or paint brushes, so where did camera makers get the idea that they should miniaturise photography hand grips?

In sci-fi world there is a camera that would work for both my wife and I. It is not fancy or technologically brilliant. It is conceptually as simple as wrapping the K-01 in a range of body sizes: tennis racket makers do not expect one size to fit all, glove makers do not expect one size to fit all, so where did DSLR makers get the idea that one size can fit all?

To make the K-01 a market leader Pentax probably just needed wraparound K-01 battery grips (small/medium/large); was there an opportunity missed? Does that opportunity need remain missed forever?

Last edited by G&R; 02-27-2021 at 03:37 AM.
02-27-2021, 03:26 AM   #161
Pentaxian

the designer was on drugs.
Good ones too!

---------- Post added 02-27-21 at 09:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Ha ha ,its not small.
02-27-2021, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #162
Veteran Member

Wait, what? Someone said the K-01 was aimed at 'art' buyers,....?

PFFFFFFFT,.... It was aimed at "Lifestyle" buyers, not artists.

The screen is plenty bright enough - sit one next to the original BMD Pocket camera to see how well the K-01 screen holds up. Sure, it's not the 1000nits screens we get now, but nothing from 2012 was.

Frankly, what ruined sales, especially for the Lifestyle crowd, was Marc Newson's bad exterior design.
02-27-2021, 07:39 AM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Wait, what? Someone said the K-01 was aimed at 'art' buyers,....?

PFFFFFFFT,.... It was aimed at "Lifestyle" buyers, not artists.

The screen is plenty bright enough - sit one next to the original BMD Pocket camera to see how well the K-01 screen holds up. Sure, it's not the 1000nits screens we get now, but nothing from 2012 was.

Frankly, what ruined sales, especially for the Lifestyle crowd, was Marc Newson's bad exterior design.
This 'lifestyle buyer' could not see the screen in sunlight.
I also could not see the screen in most "pocket" cameras.
In 2014, when I was still a Canon user, I know for certain that Canon users were waiting for an EVF before they would consider an MILC.
The main difference between the EOS-M and the EOS-M's today was the presence of an EVF.
Belief what you will - some of us would purchase a K-02 of almost any design, but we would not consider a K-01.
03-05-2021, 12:39 AM   #164
Veteran Member

2014,.. and like I said, NOTHING had a bright enough and glare free enough screen then.

HDR brightness level screens have only existed in the last few years, and people should stop whining about older cameras not having them and do the same thing we still do on film sets - use a dang sunshade on the LCD.
03-05-2021, 05:44 AM   #165

QuoteOriginally posted by BillO Quote
Why did the K-01 not succeed? I like some of the features coming out in mirrorless cameras, but I have no desire to start a new collection of lenses, or give up things like auto focus and exposure or open aperture metering. It would have been swell if the K-01 started a series that carried on with newer models.
Who said it did not succeed ?

I bought mine in 2014 and still use it regularly alongside my K-3 and K-1

It is the perfect addition to my system , using the same batteries and lenses as my other cameras .

To me , it is a resounding success .