Are there perfect opinions and advice?
*I am going to upgrade my camera from Pentax K-01
To K-70 or KP

Thanks!

02-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both the K-70 and KP are significant upgrades from the K-01. I have the K-01 and K-70 and enjoy them both.
02-07-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Look at the comparisons on this website, under Cameras above. See which different specs or features mean the most to you. I chose the KP and I'm very happy, but I probably would have been happy with the K-70 too. The KP is newer and has better autofocus and processor, which may be the two biggest differences. But read the specs and see what matters to you.
02-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-70 and a KP in the family. I would say KP. The K-70 is a very nice camera, but the KP is a step up, and you can feel it when you shoot with it. It's really a nice camera, and value. If you can find a sale, even better. I would say wait until after CP+ though, because who knows what we might learn about the K new and that might affect your decision.

02-08-2020, 12:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I would recommend KP, strongly recommend. For current price ...

Btw, there are several threads with this topic here, for instance:

K70 or KP - PentaxForums.com
02-08-2020, 01:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I upgraded from a K-5, which is a similar spec to the K-01, to a K-70 and was significantly impressed with the improvement in image quality, both due to the higher resolution giving me more cropping options and the extended low light capabilities.

Subsequently, I've further "upgraded" to a KP, in search of improved a/f performance, which this body provides well! The extra three stops of low light sensitivity (over the K-70) are a bonus.

However, if you don't need the extra capabilities of the KP, I'd definitely suggest the K-70 as a very valid upgrade from your K-01. The image quality of the K-70 and KP is, in general, identical. The KP is slightly more "ergonomically friendly" (less cramped) in my large hands, but the price saving between the two bodies could well go towards another lens
02-08-2020, 05:20 AM   #7
Unregistered User

Don't upgrade, stay with that jewel K-01. And if you must, look for an affordable K-3 or K-3II.

02-08-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Don't upgrade, stay with that jewel K-01. And if you must, look for an affordable K-3 or K-3II.

Hhhmmmm My daughter upgraded from a K-01 to the KP and is blown away with the improvements in AF and also thinks image quality is a step up, and ergonomics much improved. The K-01 has it's niche, but is a prior generation of technology.
02-08-2020, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

02-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

+ K-1 II on top
02-15-2020, 08:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you do video, the KP is a better choice - the K-70 has the same data rate in the CoDec as the K-01, so no improvement there, plus the KP sensor is significantly more sensitive - adding both together means the KP video remains colour noise (the blotching that occurs in the CoDec) free at higher ISO settings then any other Pentax - ISO 800 is the useful limit for the K-01 and K-70, with 1250 at a push (1600 & 3200 are useful only in an emergency content situation - news-worthy where they'd take phone footage,...)
The KP will do 1600 and 3200 relatively noise free.
02-16-2020, 04:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
If you do video, the KP is a better choice - the K-70 has the same data rate in the CoDec as the K-01, so no improvement there, plus the KP sensor is significantly more sensitive - adding both together means the KP video remains colour noise (the blotching that occurs in the CoDec) free at higher ISO settings then any other Pentax - ISO 800 is the useful limit for the K-01 and K-70, with 1250 at a push (1600 & 3200 are useful only in an emergency content situation - news-worthy where they'd take phone footage,...)
The KP will do 1600 and 3200 relatively noise free.
In terms of the image quality (ISO etc.) - KP and K-70 are the same. I thought that K-70 is better for video due to AF sensors placed on the image processor.
02-16-2020, 05:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It seems that the KP is worth the extra. The thing is, the K-new might be irresistible and lead to a bad bout of buyer's remorse. Then again, it is a replacement for the K3 II rather than the KP.

With CP+ not happening anymore, it remains to be seen where and when the K-new will be announced.

Breaking: the 2020 CP+show is canceled due to the coronavirus outbreak - Photo Rumors

Some say that life is too short to wait for the next best thing. I am one of them. A KP in the hand is better than a K-new in the bush. Then again, a short wait might be in order. There has been some good deals on the KP lately. Prices as low as $600 have been seen, I believe. Perhaps another one will happen soon.
02-22-2020, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
In terms of the image quality (ISO etc.) - KP and K-70 are the same. I thought that K-70 is better for video due to AF sensors placed on the image processor.
Neither of those have the same impact as the difference in the data rate in the CoDec.

The K-70 has the same 19Mbits rate as the rest of Pentax family (when set to maximum quality)
The KP got a data rate of 24Mbits, which directly affects the way the CoDec deals with signal noise, especially in higher ISO's.

At 3200 in most Pentax bodies, the noise that's "film like" in a still image, becomes a blotch of nasty colour around any noisy pixel in the image. But the extra data rate in the KP means it's colour blotching at 3200 is similar to that of the rest of the bodies at 800 or 1600.

In good lighting, it means that at lower ISO's, the colour in the KP's image is going to be a lot more accurate then the K-70.

With my Cinematographer hat on, out of all the currently available bodies, for recording internally, the KP is the ONLY body I would buy.

For external recording, none are currently suitable (and we've been providing feed back on that for the last Seven Years), but a firmware fix would make everything from K-01 to K-1 and 645Z in to awesome production tools.

Recordable HDMI output, preferably at 10 bit for HD and 4K, is pretty much "minumum acceptable specification" for any brand of DSLR or Mirrorless in 2019-2020. If the new prototype showing one Pentax stands now doesn't include it, they should go back to making film cameras for the luddites, as they don't understand the digital market.