Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2020, 04:49 AM   #1

K-01 issue after taking a shot

My K-01 has an issue. The screen goes black with shutter speed, f.stop and ISO flashing in red after each shots. It won't allow me to take another shot until I restart the camera. While the screen is flashing, I'm still able to review each shot and use the menu. It now seems to be doing this regardless what type of lens I use which is a Pentax FA 38-80 and a Rikenon 50mm 2.0 vintage lens. Has anyone encountered similar issues with their K-01?

My K-01 is brand new with only 600 shutter actuation and spotless, I'm very keen to get to the bottom of this as when it does produce a picture, it's always outstanding. Any feedback will be hugely appreciated. Thank you

After reading this forum, it seems that it might have a sticky shutter, as when I remove the lens and switch the camera on & off the shutter doesn't always open. Maybe this camera although mint might not have had enough use?

Last edited by Frenchkiddo; 03-31-2020 at 06:17 AM.
03-31-2020, 06:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it possible that you have a slow memory card and some of the corrections turn on?
03-31-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Frenchkiddo Quote
My K-01 has an issue. The screen goes black with shutter speed, f.stop and ISO flashing in red after each shots. It won't allow me to take another shot until I restart the camera. While the screen is flashing, I'm still able to review each shot and use the menu. It now seems to be doing this regardless what type of lens I use which is a Pentax FA 38-80 and a Rikenon 50mm 2.0 vintage lens. Has anyone encountered similar issues with their K-01?

My K-01 is brand new with only 600 shutter actuation and spotless, I'm very keen to get to the bottom of this as when it does produce a picture, it's always outstanding. Any feedback will be hugely appreciated. Thank you

After reading this forum, it seems that it might have a sticky shutter, as when I remove the lens and switch the camera on & off the shutter doesn't always open. Maybe this camera although mint might not have had enough use?
I like to know if you were using flash and the status of your battery. Please let me know if it is an original battery and if so the date stamp on the backside of the battery, something like 201209 or so.
03-31-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I like to know if you were using flash and the status of your battery. Please let me know if it is an original battery and if so the date stamp on the backside of the battery, something like 201209 or so.
In other words........ the battery could be at fault and doesn't have enough juice to power the shutter actuator, reopening the shutter after it's tripped for a shot (apparently it does have enough to set the shutter if the camera is reset). You might try another battery if it's available and be sure the battery you're using has a recent full charge.

03-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your prompt reply, the battery is an original Pentax model 201209 and it is fully charged also I've now tried a spare Duracell model DL190 which is also fully charged. I've fired the camera with the flash on and the lens removed, it fired the flash but the shutter stays closed. I've attached 2 photos showing the state of the K-01 while powered up. I now cant get that shutter to react at all regardless what I do.

---------- Post added 03-31-20 at 10:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Is it possible that you have a slow memory card and some of the corrections turn on?
I've reset the camera to factory default, , changed the battery and memory card. it looks like the issue is with the shutter as it does not open when the camera is switched on, thus not getting live view. The camera fires including the flash but the shutter stays shut, naturally when I preview the shots they're all black as expected.

---------- Post added 03-31-20 at 10:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Thanks for your reply. I've reset the camera to factory default, , changed the battery and memory card. it looks like the issue is with the shutter as it does not open when the camera is switched on, thus not getting live view. The camera fires including the flash but the shutter stays shut, naturally when I preview the shots they're all black as expected.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-E2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E2  Photo 
03-31-2020, 10:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to suggest trying another battery, too. My K-01 started doing weird things a couple of years ago and it turned out to be a problem with my battery, even though it was the original Pentax battery that came with it. I hope you get it figured out. The K-01 is a fun camera to use. Good luck!
03-31-2020, 12:03 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I was going to suggest trying another battery, too. My K-01 started doing weird things a couple of years ago and it turned out to be a problem with my battery, even though it was the original Pentax battery that came with it. I hope you get it figured out. The K-01 is a fun camera to use. Good luck!
Thank you for your help. Looks like it might be an expensive repair job. I bought it from a reputable seller on eBay who described it as in perfect working order which it was the first month I had it. It then started to play up from time to time. This is probably due to the fact this camera had very little use in its past life with only 600 shutter actuation and built in 2012. This is why whenever you store a camera that you don't need anymore, it should be fired a few times at least once a month to keep the shutter and its mechanism in good shape. Need to think seriously what to do next

03-31-2020, 12:49 PM   #8
Unregistered User

Thank you for your help. Looks like it might be an expensive repair job. I bought it from a reputable seller on eBay who described it as in perfect working order which it was the first month I had it. It then started to play up from time to time. This is probably due to the fact this camera had very little use in its past life with only 600 shutter actuation and built in 2012. This is why whenever you store a camera that you don't need anymore, it should be fired a few times at least once a month to keep the shutter and its mechanism in good shape. Need to think seriously what to do next
What happens if you set the function dial to B and push the exposure button? The shutter must open and stay open as long as you push the button. Did you try that? You can also try the sensor cleaning function in settings menu tab 3. If neither of them work I guess the shutter is damaged. Hope you paid for it by credit card, perhaps your creditcard company can do someting for you if the seller does not help you to solve this problem.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 03-31-2020 at 12:57 PM. Reason: found another way to force the shutter to open
04-01-2020, 03:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
What happens if you set the function dial to B and push the exposure button? The shutter must open and stay open as long as you push the button. Did you try that? You can also try the sensor cleaning function in settings menu tab 3. If neither of them work I guess the shutter is damaged. Hope you paid for it by credit card, perhaps your creditcard company can do someting for you if the seller does not help you to solve this problem.
Good morning, thank you for your suggestions. I've tried using the B function, unfortunately no response from the shutter, I've even tried to slide down the shutter blades with a toothpick very carefully as not to touch the sensor while pressing B and while switching the camera off. The blades just slides back up and the shutter remains shut. I've also used the sensor cleaning feature to no avail, shutter remained shut when it should have opened.

Does anyone knows if this shutter is released by magnets? I've serviced a few Canon A series film SLRs in the past and cleaning the release magnets did the trick. I've never stripped down a Pentax DSLR before and this K-01 is too nice to use as a guinea pig.

I bought this K-01 about six months ago and paid via PayPal as I always do. I can't go back to the seller as I've owned it for too long to ask for any kind of refund, this was a private sale. I guess this is the risk that one takes when buying an 8 years old camera with only 600 shutter actuation, at the time I didn't know which year the camera was actually manufactured. Probably wouldn't have made much difference as I believe the K-01 was abandoned by Pentax soon after its initial release.

It's just a great looking brick for the moment until I decide what to do with it. If anyone is familiar with the inner parts of the K-01, please do get in touch. I've got plenty free time on my hands with this lock-down we have in place in the UK. Stay safe and thank you for your help.

Emmanuel

Last edited by Frenchkiddo; 04-01-2020 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Updating
04-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check out this page which comes from this Pentax Forums thread

Something here may be of some help also.

I hope those will help a little. Best of luck
04-02-2020, 04:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote

Thank you very much, yes it will help. I should be able to access the shutter once I followed the steps shown on the pictures. I just need to find out which parts are being used to release the shutter. I will update my progress and take pictures of what I did step by step IF I've managed to sort out the issue. Cheers :-)
05-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

When you turn the camera on, before pressing the shutter button at all, do you see an image on the screen, or only black?

If black, shutter potentially damaged.

If image, shutter is open (it should open when turned on, because, mirrorless ) and there something else going on.

Check in the menus,..
Page C-3, item 16, is that set to 1 or 2 ? If set to 1, it may not work with full manual lenses.
Page C-2, item 10, if set to Focus Priority, the shutter may not open when the button is pressed.
Page C-2, item 12, may stop it from opening if the flash hasn't recharged.

The numbers on the bottom of the screen will flash Red if you're below the correct exposure levels.
05-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #13

That screen shot you show says the camera is in manual mode and the shutter speed is set to 8 seconds. Is that really what you have the camera set to?
08-05-2020, 09:21 AM   #14

I have the same issue with my K-01. I bought it second hand in 2014. ~4K shots at the minute. Everytime I take a picture it goes black with
shutter speed, f.stop and ISO flashing in red after each shots
In my situation, if I take the lens off, and then I start shooting, the shutter works [opens/closes] properly and the pictures are full bright/white [cause no lens].
10-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote

Oh hey, my old instructions. I'm gonna be pulling my K-01 apart again since one of my kids broke the screen again and amazingly enough they're still available on eBay, so if you need any clarification let me know.

I know a friends Canon had a similar issue, it's currently in my closet with a new shutter assembly waiting for me to have time to switch it out. I've searched online for a K-01 shutter and no luck. Lots available for Canon though.