Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-01 advice please

I was heartbroken several weeks ago when my K-01 went dark after less than . No live display. Shutter not firing. Took it to a local shop and inquired on-line to be advised that fixing, if possible, would be cost prohibitive. Tried everything I could find on the internet. Today I decided to open it up in hopes of a miracle. Removed the bottom plate and came to my senses. Out of habit switched it on, and the shutter fired with the lens off. Closest lens was an old manual, and voila, live view worked. Shutter would not fire. Took the lens off and shutter would. Got a current lens and it worked normally.....sorta. The flash pops up in Auto and Scene regardless of light. It does not pop up in other modes. Video works okay. In manual, however, at f8 and ISO auto, I have to reduce shutter speed to around 1/4 in order to get the same exposure in say, Tv or Av.

I've reset everything to factory. I've downloaded a fresh copy of firmware. Cleaned the lens contacts. Still doesn't work with manual lenses, and works as described above with 18-135mm.

Any ideas please?

06-11-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Banskoloe

Do you have to permit the aperture like on a dslr ie K5, K 3 K 10 etc . ?

Dave
06-12-2020, 02:42 AM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Banskojoe Quote
I was heartbroken several weeks ago when my K-01 went dark after less than . No live display. Shutter not firing. Took it to a local shop and inquired on-line to be advised that fixing, if possible, would be cost prohibitive. Tried everything I could find on the internet. Today I decided to open it up in hopes of a miracle. Removed the bottom plate and came to my senses. Out of habit switched it on, and the shutter fired with the lens off. Closest lens was an old manual, and voila, live view worked. Shutter would not fire. Took the lens off and shutter would. Got a current lens and it worked normally.....sorta. The flash pops up in Auto and Scene regardless of light. It does not pop up in other modes. Video works okay. In manual, however, at f8 and ISO auto, I have to reduce shutter speed to around 1/4 in order to get the same exposure in say, Tv or Av.

I've reset everything to factory. I've downloaded a fresh copy of firmware. Cleaned the lens contacts. Still doesn't work with manual lenses, and works as described above with 18-135mm.

Any ideas please?
Go to the menu C3 / 16 and see if the use of diaphragm ring is on. It must be set to activate choice number 2! Hope this helps. If you reset to factory settings C3 /16 is set to 1, so you now certainly know that you did not set it to 2. Try it, I would say.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 06-12-2020 at 02:45 AM. Reason: additonal information added
06-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Banskoloe

Do you have to permit the aperture like on a dslr ie K5, K 3 K 10 etc . ?

Dave
Dave

Thank you for your reply.

As far as I can tell, "permit the aperture" is not an option on the K-01

---------- Post added 06-12-20 at 09:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Go to the menu C3 / 16 and see if the use of diaphragm ring is on. It must be set to activate choice number 2! Hope this helps. If you reset to factory settings C3 /16 is set to 1, so you now certainly know that you did not set it to 2. Try it, I would say.
AfterPentax

Thank you for your suggestion. As you suspected, C/16 was set to 1. It is now set at 2.

Happily, I can now use legacy lenses (why I originally chose Pentax).

Sadly, the flash still pops up, unasked, on Auto. I mostly use the K-01 for video and moon photography, so it's workable. (Far better than not working at all.)

And, starting this morning, live view does not always come on. Turning the camera off and on a couple times wakes it though.

Thanks again!

06-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
Unregistered User

Dave

Thank you for your reply.

As far as I can tell, "permit the aperture" is not an option on the K-01

---------- Post added 06-12-20 at 09:10 AM ----------

AfterPentax

Thank you for your suggestion. As you suspected, C/16 was set to 1. It is now set at 2.

Happily, I can now use legacy lenses (why I originally chose Pentax).

Sadly, the flash still pops up, unasked, on Auto. I mostly use the K-01 for video and moon photography, so it's workable. (Far better than not working at all.)

And, starting this morning, live view does not always come on. Turning the camera off and on a couple times wakes it though.

Thanks again!
That the flash pops up in auto and scene mode is one of "qualities" of this camera. I never use auto or scene but P or one of the others. With P I am sometimes annoyed that the flash does not pop up automatically. When in auto or scene mode push the flash button and set it from automatic to manual, is the fourth flash you see on the screen if I am right. Hope again that this helps Banskojoe.
06-12-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi
Sorry I called it the wrong thing which After Pentax called it by its proper name .
That was the feature I was refering too.

Dave
06-12-2020, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi
Sorry I called it the wrong thing which After Pentax called it by its proper name .
That was the feature I was refering too.

Dave
I understood what you meant and I am glad I was able to clarify your suggestion.
06-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update from yesterday. . . . . .back to no live view. Not with legacy lens. Not with AF. Any new suggestions?

Thanks in advance

06-14-2020, 04:45 AM   #9
Unregistered User

Hi Banskojoe, Sorry to hear that. Only thing I can think of is a malfunctioning battery. How old is the battery? It is printed on the flat side of the battery. Liveview asks a lot of power and maybe the battery is to worn to deliver enough power. Have you tried to set another exposure mode such as M or P. Another camera of mine with a not well kept battery turns off if I want to use liveview with flash. A new battery solved that problem.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 06-14-2020 at 10:46 AM. Reason: typo
06-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Hi Banskojoe, Sorry to hear that. Only thing I can think of is a malfunctioning battery. How old is the battery? It is printed on the flat side of the battery. Liveview asks a lot of power and maybe the battery is to worn to deliver enough power. Have you tried to set another exposure mode such as M or P. Another camera of mine with a not well kept battery turns off if I want to use liveview with flash. A new battery solved that problem.
Thank you for the tip. The camera battery icon showed "full", but when I installed battery #2, fresh from the charger, the K-01 fired right up. Still acting strangely at times, but at least its working again. I'll experiment further with #1 once charged.

Thanks again!
06-16-2020, 07:03 AM   #11
Unregistered User

Thank you for the tip. The camera battery icon showed "full", but when I installed battery #2, fresh from the charger, the K-01 fired right up. Still acting strangely at times, but at least its working again. I'll experiment further with #1 once charged.

Thanks again!
Another tip then: Only use original Ricoh/Pentax batteries. Third party batteries often have less capacity than the original, so you come across problems when you need "milk" and only have "skimmed milk" in the fridge so to speak.
11-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Continuing K-01 concerns

Thanks again to everyone who helped with my K-01 problem last June. Changing to a fully charged battery didn't fix all problems, but at least made the camera useable. Not so now. My two OEM batteries (8 and 9 years old respectively) test at full voltage. So, confessing to a life-long mental block regarding amps vs. volts, can these batteries be bad despite the voltage readings?

Thank you
11-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, they can be bad. When you're testing them they aren't under load and it's possible that when they are, i.e. the camera drawing current, the voltage drops too far to be sufficient.
Now, having said that, it seems unlikely that both batteries would hit that point of degradation at the same time. The only way to know for sure would be to find someone who could load test them, try a new battery, or an A.C. adapter.
I suspect the issue is with the camera.
11-01-2020, 02:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, they can be bad. When you're testing them they aren't under load and it's possible that when they are, i.e. the camera drawing current, the voltage drops too far to be sufficient.
Now, having said that, it seems unlikely that both batteries would hit that point of degradation at the same time. The only way to know for sure would be to find someone who could load test them, try a new battery, or an A.C. adapter.
I suspect the issue is with the camera.
Thanks again to everyone who helped with my K-01 problem last June. Changing to a fully charged battery didn't fix the problem, but at least made the camera useable. Not so now. My two OEM batteries (8 and 9 years old respectively) test at full voltage. So, confessing to a life-long mental block regarding amps vs. volts, can these batteries be bad despite the voltage readings?

Thank you

---------- Post added 11-01-20 at 01:35 PM ----------

Thank you. I hope you're wrong about the camera. . . . but you're probably not