Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2020, 07:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Time lapse for 3D printer using K-01?

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has tried to use the K-01 for time lapse photography for a 3D printer? I am looking to get a 3D printer (soon) and am looking for inspirations if someone has used the K-01 (or any other pentax camera) for time lapse in this manner? I have the K-01 and K-07 at my disposal. If anyone has done this, would love to see/hear your setup.

Thanks!

06-30-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great question. K01 is my standard time lapse camera, because (correct me if I'm wrong) but unlike may DSLRs the K01 has an electronic shutter. Thus, shooting 1,000 to 5k images for a run will not cause early breakage of a mechanical shutter. Also you can purchase a battery eliminator so that you don't have to keep changing batteries. The one problem is that you are limited to 1,000 shots before you must reset the camera.
06-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can I ask what the reason is for time lapse and 3-d printers? Do you use the time lapse for printing something or?

06-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-01 doesn't have a remote shutter port for this. It's either an infrared remote or using the internal camera module. That's a dealbreaker for me for external usage, but under very consistent room lighting and known printing sequences it may not be such a non-starter for the OP.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Can I ask what the reason is for time lapse and 3-d printers? Do you use the time lapse for printing something or?
It sounds like he wants to shoot timelapses of printing processes to have creation videos. It's helpful info because it lets us know it'll be 100% interior usage and gives us some feel of focal lengths, focal distance, mounting systems, and general usage.
06-30-2020, 10:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cdurfor Quote
Great question. K01 is my standard time lapse camera, because (correct me if I'm wrong) but unlike may DSLRs the K01 has an electronic shutter. Thus, shooting 1,000 to 5k images for a run will not cause early breakage of a mechanical shutter. Also you can purchase a battery eliminator so that you don't have to keep changing batteries. The one problem is that you are limited to 1,000 shots before you must reset the camera.
Yes that's my understanding too. The K01 has no mechanical shutter so should be more ideal for timelapse. I will have to look into a suitable battery replacement source but that is easier to deal with compared to seeing how i can shoot the camera at the right time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
You will need an intervalometer such as this one:
There is no port for me to connect the K01 to unfortunately...wondering if i should use my K-7 instead

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No I wanted to combine all the time lapse photo for something like this:

QuoteOriginally posted by disasterfilm Quote
It sounds like he wants to shoot timelapses of printing processes to have creation videos. It's helpful info because it lets us know it'll be 100% interior usage and gives us some feel of focal lengths, focal distance, mounting systems, and general usage.
Yes. I will be using manual mode, probably manual focus (not sure), maybe a 50mm lens on a tripod.
07-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its not cheap, but it does allow for battery elimination. The only problem is the 1,000 image limit with the internal intervolmeter.

Pentax K-AC1202U AC Adapter Kit for K-01 Digital Camera 38899

---------- Post added 07-01-2020 at 01:35 PM ----------

Its not cheap, but it does allow for battery elimination. The only problem is the 1,000 image limit with the internal intervolmeter.

PS - I find that if you shut of the back screen review (to save battery life), I can get up to 5 hours of time lapse photography. (One photo ever 30 seconds.)...

07-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cdurfor Quote

---------- Post added 07-01-2020 at 01:35 PM ----------

PS - I find that if you shut of the back screen review (to save battery life), I can get up to 5 hours of time lapse photography. (One photo ever 30 seconds.)...
Wow the cost of the AC adapter is higher than I expected. But I managed to find a cheap Chinese made one on eBay. That should do for now.

The intervalometer will not work for 3D printing as the camera will easily shoot more than 1000 shots as some prints can take up to a day to do. And also the camera have to be triggered to shoot only at a pre defined time such that the print heads clear the bed.

The main issue with the k01 is that it has no remote trigger socket. Looks like I have to trigger using remote control.