Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2022, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
ouch Probably harder to replace than the infamous aperture solenoid?

I bet! You'll have to disassemble pretty much the whole camera. What's worse, then you have to assemble it back

02-11-2022, 09:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know what type of shutters they have, but back in the day the shutter guides could wear enabling the shutter to jam. Once that happened there was no point in replacing the shutter.
02-11-2022, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't know what type of shutters they have, but back in the day the shutter guides could wear enabling the shutter to jam. Once that happened there was no point in replacing the shutter.
This is happening to cameras with pretty low shutter count, 5-10k. That's why solenoid(s) are under suspicion.
02-11-2022, 03:02 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoundFrog Quote
This is happening to cameras with pretty low shutter count, 5-10k. That's why solenoid(s) are under suspicion.
but then still, why would the K-01 have different shutter solenoids than other pentax cameras? one would see the same issue at other models, right? Wasn't the K-01 based on the K-30?

02-11-2022, 05:53 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I am just not following the threads of K-30 owners
02-11-2022, 07:13 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
but then still, why would the K-01 have different shutter solenoids than other pentax cameras? one would see the same issue at other models, right? Wasn't the K-01 based on the K-30?
There is one important difference between the K-01 and all other Pentax DSLR cameras: the K-01 is a mirrorless camera. It means that the shutter has to be opened to allow framing, while it is closed on DSLR cameras because framing is done with the image reflected through the optical finder and the shutter is located behind the mirror. On a mirrorless camera like the K-01 (or on DSLRs used in Live
mode), the shutter is open for framing so the image from the lens can reach the sensor. When the user takes a photo, the shutter first closes then the diaphragm of the lens is closed down to the set aperture, the sensor is flushed, the shutter reopens for the duration set by the user then closes again to end the exposure and finally the shutter opens again in order to allow the LCD to resume displaying the live view stream.

So, when you press the shutter release on a DSLR, the shutter opens and closes one time. When you do the same on the K-01, the shutter closes and reopens two times. That's twice as much, so it's normal there is much more wear on the K-01 shutter and that more shutter failures are observed on the mirroless camera compared to DSLR cameras equipped with the same shutter.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 02-11-2022 at 07:24 PM.
02-11-2022, 07:55 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've heard of such stories. Could be another solenoid issue (shutter has two).
I do not believe the shutter is solenoid driven. All the images I've seen of the inside of K-01 cameras show the same stepper type shutter motor as other Pentax cameras.

(Not my image)

02-12-2022, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I do not believe the shutter is solenoid driven. All the images I've seen of the inside of K-01 cameras show the same stepper type shutter motor as other Pentax cameras.
(Not my image)
Is that not the aperture motor depicted in that picture?
02-12-2022, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Aperture. Typical shutter has two solenoids. Motor too, but curtains, when cocked, are being hold by solenoids.

---------- Post added 02-12-22 at 10:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
That's twice as much
Twice the "low count" is still the low count. Well, maybe medium. But I think you may be up to something.

The fact that the shutter is mostly open means that the curtains holding solenoids are mostly energized. So the parasitic magnetic effect is more likely to manifest itself.

Last edited by HoundFrog; 02-12-2022 at 03:32 AM.
02-12-2022, 01:14 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
This thread helped me not wasting my nerves on trying the K-01, I must admit I was considering it due to its absolute quirkiness and unfitness for both photo and video
02-12-2022, 04:21 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Is that not the aperture motor depicted in that picture?
My mistake, yes it is.
02-12-2022, 04:22 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aperture. Typical shutter has two solenoids. Motor too, but curtains, when cocked, are being hold by solenoids.

---------- Post added 02-12-22 at 10:28 AM ----------

Twice the "low count" is still the low count. Well, maybe medium. But I think you may be up to something.

The fact that the shutter is mostly open means that the curtains holding solenoids are mostly energized. So the parasitic magnetic effect is more likely to manifest itself.
Can you post a photo of the "shutter solenoids"?
02-12-2022, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Can you post a photo of the "shutter solenoids"?
Hm , I didn't hear about "shutter solenoids" in K-01.
Could someone confirm this please.
I have a black one and still going strong , fingers crossed.

P.S.: I have K-30 + K-50 with " dead" solenoids and do not really need any more of those......
02-13-2022, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Here's the video of a generic DSLR shutter (you may want to mute the sound). At the end you can see that each curtain has a solenoid.

I don't have a photo/video of Pentax shutter.
02-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the party, it seems to be a common failure, mine suffered the same: K-01 shutter stuck - PentaxForums.com

What might be the cause the K-01 shutter is a DSLR shutter. But using it in a mirror-less system the two solenoids in the shutter are continuously activated to keep the curtains opened. Those are not engineered for that.

Mine had only 12.000 exposures (24.000 compared with a real DSLR, see above). But that is nothing.

So far nobody reported a fix, replacing a shutter is not done by Pentax service centers (no spare parts available) and replacing the solenoids by yourself demand skills almost nobody has...

I thank my K-01 for 9 years of service, I replaced it for a KP and maybe, hopefully, once there will be a K-mount MILC with EVF and all the advantages nowadays MILCs offer.