Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2022, 04:49 AM   #31
Pentaxian

A crazy idea. As I understood, the root cause is the residual magnetism in the solenoid body. At least that's the main theory. What about demagnetizing camera as a whole? In the way we did that with the magnetophone tape heads?

02-22-2022, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Drastic idea?

QuoteOriginally posted by HoundFrog Quote
A crazy idea. As I understood, the root cause is the residual magnetism in the solenoid body. At least that's the main theory. What about demagnetizing camera as a whole? In the way we did that with the magnetophone tape heads?
Degaussing Wand?
I used to have one of those.
02-22-2022, 07:20 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Interesting concept … I used to have (may still have, somewhere) a handheld mains-powered device with a curved probe for degaussing domestic tape recorder and dictation machine heads.
Would possibly do the job, assuming it is residual magnetism causing the problem and not some mechanical wear/distortion affecting the operation of the solenoid.
If this is a "fix", it would only ever be temporary, 'cos if the material in question is prone to accumulating residual magnetism it'll do it again after a similar period of use!
I'd have grave reservations about "degaussing the camera as a whole" … might anticipate the sensor assembly on it's shake-reduction mounts getting extremely "agitated"
02-22-2022, 07:36 AM   #34

Photos: Albums
Wouldn't that maybe also solve the solenoid issues on the aperture dial for the K50 etc? Then again, maybe it could break something else Would be really cool if someone dared to try this on a broken camera

02-22-2022, 08:18 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
Then again, maybe it could break something else
It might, but k-01 without a shutter is dead anyway. It's not even the ABF where you can use manual optics, KAF4 lenses etc.
02-25-2022, 08:13 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had my White K-01 have the same issue. Is it true that Precision camera repair cannot fix them. They do list it as it option for 208 plus tax and shipping. I bought another one for about that is working but would kind of like to have my old one repaired if possible. Sentimental reasons. I will email to them to see if it can actually be fixed.
02-26-2022, 08:41 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmm18 Quote
I had my White K-01 have the same issue. Is it true that Precision camera repair cannot fix them. They do list it as it option for 208 plus tax and shipping. I bought another one for about that is working but would kind of like to have my old one repaired if possible. Sentimental reasons. I will email to them to see if it can actually be fixed.
I Just sent my to precision and was excited to see the repair was "completed". After I got the camera shipped back for free, I found on the note... "Returning unit unprepared due to out of service life." I'm guessing they can't get parts for it. It's a shame. Liked this camera. I'm also disappointed that precision still has the camera on their website and you pay to have it shipped there only to find they don't have parts and it gets shipped back.

02-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mazdaPentax Quote
I Just sent my to precision and was excited to see the repair was "completed". After I got the camera shipped back for free, I found on the note... "Returning unit unprepared due to out of service life." I'm guessing they can't get parts for it. It's a shame. Liked this camera. I'm also disappointed that precision still has the camera on their website and you pay to have it shipped there only to find they don't have parts and it gets shipped back.
Sad. I called them and Pentax but neither could give me a difintive answer. Guess I won't send it in.
02-28-2022, 06:07 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by mazdaPentax Quote
Had the same thing happen to me when i sent my K-01 to Precision. Now what? I loved my K-01.
07-28-2022, 08:10 PM   #40

i have the exact same problem - everything works except the shutter wont go up after starting the camera up. The camera still records video tho so i have a crazy idea - can the camera work without the mechanical shutter as a fully dedicated video camera???
07-29-2022, 04:21 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
Wouldn't that maybe also solve the solenoid issues on the aperture dial for the K50 etc? Then again, maybe it could break something else Would be really cool if someone dared to try this on a broken camera
There is no solenoid inside the K-01 but the same steppermotor which one can find in the K7 and K5.

Demagnetizing the camera or even just the solenoid or its plunger won't do anything. We had this discussion all too often in the respective threads,
so no need to repeat it fully here, so just shortly without going deeper into it: That there is residual magnetism within the solenoid has a reason!
It happens because of the composition of the alloy! Residual magnetism becomes stronger over time in those China-solenoids.
07-29-2022, 06:25 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really?

The K-01 has no solenoid driven aperture, that's right. But there seems to be two solenoids in the shutter mechanism itself that fail. Here on the forum there is a picture of it what shows that.

The K-01 failure differs from the K-30 generation failures, the K-01 shutter stucks, with the K-30 the manual aperture stucks. In common is that both failures are caused by solenoids.
07-31-2022, 11:55 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Henrico Quote
The K-01 has no solenoid driven aperture, that's right. But there seems to be two solenoids in the shutter mechanism itself that fail. Here on the forum there is a picture of it what shows that.

The K-01 failure differs from the K-30 generation failures, the K-01 shutter stucks, with the K-30 the manual aperture stucks. In common is that both failures are caused by solenoids.
The 2 solenoids within a K-01 for the shutter are very different than the single one for aperture in any Pentax DSLR.

But they actuate a but different in the mirrorless K-01 than those in any Pentax DSLR.
Right from the moment the K-01 is switched on, both solenoids actuate and keep the shutter up/open.
With a Pentax DSLR this happens only with LiveView and .... even longer... if using it for video.

So both solenoids are under much more/longer demand.

Sadly when I once disassembled a K-01 I didn't "dig deeper" to get to those solenoids for comparing them to those used in any other Pentax DSLR
but I have done so with severy Pentax DSLR: All those share the same solenoids:
Those two are from a K-x:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-15-2022, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, my full spectrum modified K-01 shutter died. Looks worse than a solenoid. There are actually parts hanging out of the shutter. Wish it had been the non modified K-01. Now I have a great full spectrum sensor sitting in an useless body. This is why I had Kolari Vision modify the K1 for my next full spectrum camera. Hopefully a tougher, repairable camera.

Thanks,
barondla
09-15-2022, 08:44 AM   #45

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
With a Pentax DSLR this happens only with LiveView and .... even longer... if using it for video.

So both solenoids are under much more/longer demand.
:
Any idea how the other DSLRs brands did this?