Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Anyone in Canada willing to loan out a K-01?

Hi, I'm asking on behalf of someone that wants to film a YouTube video in part on the K-01. They need the camera (no lenses) for about two weeks. If you can help out, please send me a direct message for more details.

Thanks!

02-06-2021, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I’m not sure you will find many people willing to loan their camera to DP Review so they can make fun of Pentax with it.
02-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I hadn't sold my K-01 a couple months ago, I would have lent it to Chris and Jordan.
02-07-2021, 05:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, it's not as easy as I had hoped. I cannot loan mine out as there are shipping restrictions from Japan to North America and reverse, so no way to get it to them or get it back as far as I'm aware. I'm unsure how difficult it would be to get it there from the US, so I figured I can see if someone in Canada is willing to help.

As for the making fun of PENTAX, if they did, I'm sure it would be a good fun. They actually like the brand and cameras. Anyway, it keeps the brand in the public eye and might spark some interest.

02-07-2021, 06:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Albert Siegel Quote
snip...... Anyway, it keeps the brand in the public eye and might spark some interest.
This sounds like a politician, it does not matter if the news is good or bad, as long as your name is in the press

On a serious note, if there are issues in and out of Japan, the same issues may exist between Canada and the US for objects of Japanese origin
02-07-2021, 07:20 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
if there are issues in and out of Japan, the same issues may exist between Canada and the US for objects of Japanese origin
It's nothing to do with objects of Japanese origin, it's the Japanese government setting policy due to the pandemic.
02-07-2021, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

With all due respect, I wouldn't send DPR a used Kleenex. I've spent hours debunking their "journalism."

I know in thier tiny little reality warp they are just having fun, but they are irrespeonsible and biased, and newbies actually believe them. So what possible good can come of them shooting part of a video with a K-01? No one can stop you from being obnoxious, but there may yet be consequences. Like when they need something from you.

02-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

DPReview could buy the Canadian one on ebay (I'm not affiliated with the ebay seller btw), and then just sell it again.
02-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
DPReview could buy the Canadian one on ebay
Perrhaps there is one collecting dust in an Amazon fulfillment centre somewhere; that way it all stays in-house. Seriously though, if Amazon see fit to pay the salaries of DPR staffers, surely it can afford to let one of their "testers" expense the purchase of a used K-01. To think that people are getting paid to goad, taunt and bait real camera users (not just Pentax, by the way), while stroking the fantasies of skilless gearheads in order to harvest clicks, turns me off more than their lack of objectivity
02-07-2021, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Perrhaps there is one collecting dust in an Amazon fulfillment centre somewhere; that way it all stays in-house. Seriously though, if Amazon see fit to pay the salaries of DPR staffers, surely it can afford to let one of their "testers" expense the purchase of a used K-01. To think that people are getting paid to goad, taunt and bait real camera users (not just Pentax, by the way), while stroking the fantasies of skilless gearheads in order to harvest clicks, turns me off more than their lack of objectivity
I think that is a little harsh on DPreview. Chris and Jordan's review videos are actually pretty decent, and don't involve much taunting or goading. Yeah, sometimes they might have bias or make fun of Pentax, and maybe there is an undercurrent of baiting on their site, but there are also a lot of knowledgeable and excellent photographers on their forums. I know their ultimate motivation is promoting Amazon sales through GAS, but I do believe a lot of the staff do a decent job and try their best with giving gear information. I mean, after all, it is a gear site and so there is bound to be a little spec-sheet bashing, but I don't see much point in getting emotional about it.
02-07-2021, 12:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Albert Siegel Quote
Yeah, it's not as easy as I had hoped. I cannot loan mine out as there are shipping restrictions from Japan to North America and reverse, so no way to get it to them or get it back as far as I'm aware. I'm unsure how difficult it would be to get it there from the US, so I figured I can see if someone in Canada is willing to help.
Shipping between the US and Canada is simple and reliable - I've done it many times - so there should be no problems if a USA resident volunteers their K-01.
02-07-2021, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can lend them one, I am in Canada. Black, yellow or Blue for a choice. I kinda like their videos.
02-07-2021, 06:30 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the K01 quite a bit as a working video camera to help my girlfriend document her dog sports trials. I don't know why someone would review it today, while it puts out very usable video it's pretty behind current camera capabilities. Seems suspicious?