Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2021, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

K-01 new owner

So, I've bought a K-01 simply because I've always admired the styling and this particular camera still had the 40mm lens fitted, something I've been tempted by for a while.
Question is … is there anything the K-01 can do that can't be replicated with one of my other cameras?
I'm quite happy for it to be a "shelf queen", I bought it for it's looks, but if I can get some occasional use out of it as well that'd be a bonus

04-28-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just re-acquired a K-01 after selling mine years ago. I bought a full spectrum converted one to shoot IR with. I have not had much chance to use it yet but looking forward to it this summer.
04-28-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
So, I've bought a K-01 simply because I've always admired the styling and this particular camera still had the 40mm lens fitted, something I've been tempted by for a while.
Question is … is there anything the K-01 can do that can't be replicated with one of my other cameras?
I'm quite happy for it to be a "shelf queen", I bought it for it's looks, but if I can get some occasional use out of it as well that'd be a bonus
In bright daylight outdoors it is difficult to see the screen. In my view it's an interiors camera -- restaurants, parties, other indoor events -- ideally with the DA21mm Ltd or 20-40mm Ltd. (slightly wider and faster at f2,8). 40mm XS (or Ltd.) is a little tight.
04-28-2021, 10:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had k-01 since 2012 and k-5ii since 2014. I found for manual lens K-01 is better because live view on K-5ii is not good. Recently I accrued KP so I will probably use K-01 not that often. Still I like it and I will keep it. I will probably attach to it some manual lens like K-50 macro or K-28 3.5.

04-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
What you can do with K-01 with the XS attached: it will fit in a little bit larger pocket. I sometimes take mine with in my coat pocket. Try this with any other Pentax camera, it is not possible, unless you have very, very big pockets. Outdoors the screen might be difficult to see, but increase the backlight and it can be done. It is a lovely camera with primes attached.

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 04-28-2021 at 11:20 AM. Reason: changed a sentence
04-28-2021, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
In bright daylight outdoors it is difficult to see the screen.
get VF4 Carryspeed for your K-01

$50 OFF Carry Speed VF-4 LCD ViewFinder | CheesyCam

Not sure if it is still available.
It is a head turner , everybody is looking at it and some people are stoping me and asking what is that?
Pentax?

It is very useful but bizarre looking thing.
04-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a yellow one and paired with a DA15 it was a great walk around camera on holiday in India.
Because it looks like a toy it's not so threatening as a big black SLR and it's almost pocketable for carrying around.

04-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with the interior use, however I find the combo with (in my case-) a 20 perfect for street photography, put it on hyper focal (my 20 is MF) and fire away.
OK, that's not exclusive for a K-01......definitively exclusive is the absence of the mirror slap and its uses. It's really, really silent to fire!

Cheers, Gerard
04-28-2021, 12:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It has a fantastic sensor maybe not at high ISO but I really like the images from the K-01 over the original K-3. I liked it so much I bought a second.
04-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the club

1. I second i_trax on getting an LCD Loupe, whatever the brand
2. Don't know about other DSLRs (perhaps high-end models don't do that), but my K-30 clacks its mirror 4 times per shot when using LV (CLKose, CLKopen, *shutter*, CLKose, CLKopen)... with the K-01 you only have the shutter to worry about
3. I second AfterPentax Mark II on portability... slips just about everywhere, with the XS, a 18-55, a manual 28mm...
4. It's fantastic for macro and tripod work, with big, clear indications on the LCD and no unnecessary clutter. I find it very easy to read.
04-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations!
Even though I have a K-1, my K-01 still occasionally gets an outing when I'm traveling very light. I have a compact kit consisting of DA 40xs, DA15 and DA70 (don't have the DA21 but it would be perfect for the K-01). Its pretty easy to carry around, although the LCD is not great out in the sun (most of the time I can sufficiently shield it with my hand or just guess the framing!
On other positives, its exposes the image pretty nicely most of the time and also has consistently accurate AF (albeit fairly slow). It has a weak anti-aliasing filter and so takes sharper images than my K-5.
04-28-2021, 02:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendations so far
I do have a Neewer 3" screen magnifier device looking for a home, so I'll be trying the two together. Having focus peaking the K-01 will be easier to use than the K-5, so maybe there's a job for it with some of my manual lens collection!
04-28-2021, 03:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Every time I see a conversation like this I try to convince myself I need one. (resist... resist..)
04-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing that the K-01 can do that other bodies don't do as well (with the exception of the K-S1 in Liveview) is one-hand operation. When I switched from a neck strap to a wrist strap, it opened up a lot of new perspectives, because I could just point and shoot, without having to think about kneeling and getting back up or putting the camera in live view, flipping the neck strap over my head (knocking my hat off in the process), taking the shot, putting the strap back over my head, etc., etc., etc.
04-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for an LCD loupe.

As to what the K-01 can do that can't be replicated with other cameras... a bumblebee K-01 is a veritable smile factory - moreso than any other camera I've owned. I loved mine but when it began to fail I acquired a black K-01, which actually looked pretty cool, but didn't quite have the happy magic of my Bumblebee.