Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2021, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would be an interesting project. But if they do another mirrorless design I suspect it will be 645 first.

07-25-2021, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
K-02 idea.
That's a good idea. How about to fit a circular sensor that fits lens image circle, to allow various aspect ratios. It would sell like hotcakes.
07-25-2021, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The empty mirror box brings the opportunity to build in a series of filters. There would need to be a clear glass one for normal use, as with lenses with filter pockets at the back. The trick would be designing a system to move them in and out of position, presumably immediately behind the lens mount, and locate them precisely.
07-25-2021, 04:12 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I don't think we'll ever see it. With all emphasis on the optical view finder in the K3iii, Ricoh seems to have doubled downed on Pentax as a DSLR.
Staying DSLR makes sense. The key advantage of Pentax is to provide an optical viewfinder which contribute to keep a natural contact with the subject, this is something mirrorless cameras can't do. I don't understand why a customer would select Pentax for it mirrror feature and then ask for a Pentax mirrorless camera, as there are so many choices of mirrorless cameras that can take Pentax lenses with an adapter. Want a mirrorless camera? Just buy a Sony and K mount adapter. The key advantage of Pentax cameras is the mirror that other brands of cameras don't have.

07-25-2021, 04:17 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Staying DSLR makes sense. The key advantage of Pentax is to provide an optical viewfinder which contribute to keep a natural contact with the subject, this is something mirrorless cameras can't do. I don't understand why a customer would select Pentax for it mirrror feature and then ask for a Pentax mirrorless camera, as there are so many choices of mirrorless cameras that can take Pentax lenses with an adapter. Want a mirrorless camera? Just buy a Sony and K mount adapter. The key advantage of Pentax cameras is the mirror that other brands of cameras don't have.
Staying with the K-mount makes the most sense. Anyway, this is just kicking an idea around. No need to kick it out of the ring while people are amusing themselves with it.
07-25-2021, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Staying with the K-mount makes the most sense. Anyway, this is just kicking an idea around. No need to kick it out of the ring while people are amusing themselves with it.
That's ok. What was interesting to me was "cross marketing" effect in the forum. I remember well, when Ricoh teasing for full frame digital, + all the discussion threads about an eventual future Pentax FF, nurtured the need for full frame, which resulted in a number of Pentaxians switching to Nikon or Canon right before the Pentax K1 was finally released. So, actually, the teasing from Ricoh made them lose some market share, as they indirectly did the marketing effort to develop the need for full frame for Nikon, Sony and Canon. Nikon, Sony , Canon made their sales to Pentaxians without effort.
07-25-2021, 04:30 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's ok. What was interesting to me was "cross marketing" effect in the forum. I remember well, when Ricoh teasing for full frame digital, + all the discussion threads about an eventual future Pentax FF, nurtured the need for full frame, which resulted in a number of Pentaxians switching to Nikon or Canon right before the Pentax K1 was finally released. So, actually, the teasing from Ricoh made them lose some market share, as they indirectly did the marketing effort to develop the need for full frame for Nikon, Sony and Canon. Nikon, Sony , Canon made their sales to Pentaxians without effort.
Interesting thought. Given that those competitors are now heavily invested in mirrorless, Ricoh should not, under any circumstances, do any “teasing” about a MILC!

07-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #23
Forum Member

I have a foot in both camps - I have a K-1 and a KP but I also have a Fuji XT-4 mirrorless. Given all the arguments about mirrorless being lighter because they don’t have mirrors, the other day I weighed my KP with a 16-85 lens and then weighed my XT-4 with a 16-55 lens. They both weighed exactly the same 1350g. The main advantages of the Fuji are blindingly fast autofocus even with moving subjects plus great facial recognition. Without pixel peeping I can’t see any difference in image quality, but the price of the XT-4 is much greater than that of the KP was. I would say though that the reason I chose the Fuji rather than the K3iii was the latter’s lack of a flip up or flip out screen.
07-27-2021, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I'll second that! The reason I bought my first Zenit back in the 60s was the optical through-the-lens view that gave you a connection with the subject nothing else quite does, no matter how clever the electronics. SLRs have progressed since the Zenit through Spotmatic, MX and eventually Pentax DSLR ( currently K-S1), but I have never chased the highest megapixel sensor, nor the latest lens. No amount of pixel-peeping will rescue an indifferent photo..... I've been Pentax for almost 50 years and I'm not stopping now!
07-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
I'll second that! The reason I bought my first Zenit back in the 60s was the optical through-the-lens view that gave you a connection with the subject nothing else quite does, no matter how clever the electronics
The competitors in the 1960's all had optical viewfinders.
I moved from a Kodak Instamatic to a rangefinder camera in order to have control over shutter speed.
I then moved to a Pentax SLR ten years later in order to have control over focal length.
07-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The competitors in the 1960's all had optical viewfinders.
I moved from a Kodak Instamatic to a rangefinder camera in order to have control over shutter speed.
I then moved to a Pentax SLR ten years later in order to have control over focal length.
I said optical through-the-lens viewfinder. not just optical viewfinder. I had a few non-rangefinders before the Zenit, and after that, SLR it was. You cannot beat seeing through the lens optically rather than digitally.
07-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I said optical through-the-lens viewfinder. not just optical viewfinder. I had a few non-rangefinders before the Zenit, and after that, SLR it was. You cannot beat seeing through the lens optically rather than digitally.
For you, perhaps
I gained ability to use different lenses {and a slightly larger viewfinder} when I went to SLR .... but seeing what that lens saw added nothing to my experience when I moved from rangefinder cameras to SLR.
In fact, the mirror and curtain-style shutter were noiser than the leaf-shutter that the rangefinder cameras had.
The closest thing today to that experience today is my Q-7 with its leaf-shutter {but - alas - it has no viewfinder}.
07-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For you, perhaps
I gained ability to use different lenses {and a slightly larger viewfinder} when I went to SLR .... but seeing what that lens saw added nothing to my experience when I moved from rangefinder cameras to SLR.
In fact, the mirror and curtain-style shutter were noiser than the leaf-shutter that the rangefinder cameras had.
The closest thing today to that experience today is my Q-7 with its leaf-shutter {but - alas - it has no viewfinder}.
My impression was that you were missing the 'through the viewfinder ' reference, hence my reply. Naturally everyone has their own view ( sorry) on this subject. I have never bonded with my Leicas as much as I did with even my humble Zenit. What you see is what you get means a lot when composing shots. The inaccuracy of non-r/f cameras I find difficult to adjust to, although I do like my Fuji X-10. In fact any non-DSLR HAS to have an optical v/f or I will not buy it. Personally if you can't view the subject optically I am unlikely to use it.

That's just my view, as is every post on this forum.

Last edited by martin42mm; 07-27-2021 at 10:54 AM.
07-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #29
Pentaxian

My impression was that you were missing the 'through the viewfinder ' reference, hence my reply. Naturally everyone has their own view ( sorry) on this subject. I have never bonded with my Leicas as much as I did with even my humble Zenit. What you see is what you get means a lot when composing shots. The inaccuracy of non-r/f cameras I find difficult to adjust to, although I do like my Fuji X-10. In fact any non-DSLR HAS to have an optical v/f or I will not buy it. Personally if you can't view the subject optically I am unlikely to use it.

That's just my view, as is every post on this forum.
Pentax gave me a slightly larger and heavier camera, a noisier camera; for that, I personally gained access to additional focal lengths.
I take some 'discrete' photos, which became much less discrete because of the noise - sometimes I now use my Q-7, even though it doesn't have any viewfinder, for that reason.
I have always been interested in the middle of a shot, so I personally gained zero by being able to see what the lens saw.
Nowdays, if a camera has no viewfinder, I won't purchase it, but I'm not particular about what kind it is.

That's just my personal view, as is every post on this forum.
07-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

100% Agreement. If any of you have tried to compose and focus on a little LED screen in full sunlight, you'll understand the wisdom of a proper SLR design. I know an inveterate Nikon fanboy. He looked at the new Z models (which are not SLRs) and made the very same comment without any prompting. Pentax commands the "true SLR" niche and would be foolish to abandon it.