Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2022, 12:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Video recording Time Limit

Hello
I'd like to know if anyone found a way to override the time limit for recording video, please.
Regards
Jens Bladt, Denmark

04-14-2022, 04:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I didn't watch it, but saw a supposed hack on YouTube that involved using an external timer to trigger a new video every 30 minutes.
04-14-2022, 08:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's determined by SD card format limitations (maximum file size) so the only way is to start another recording, which will cause a break in recording of some type, however short.
04-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

In addition to the 4GB file size limit there is a time limit imposed because of differing tax/duty treatment of still and video cameras. There is also a big issue with sensor overheating shutting down movie recording which might limit recording time even if those other limiting factors could be addressed.

04-15-2022, 12:49 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
In addition to the 4GB file size limit there is a time limit imposed because of differing tax/duty treatment of still and video cameras. There is also a big issue with sensor overheating shutting down movie recording which might limit recording time even if those other limiting factors could be addressed.
I think the 4GB limit and tax/duty reasons are no longer relevant because I'm pretty sure some of the newer hybrid cameras with sensor cooling can record almost indefinitely. Correct me if I am wrong...
04-15-2022, 08:53 AM   #6

As far as card formats go (file maximum conventional limit, not theoretical):
FAT32 = 4GB
NTFS = 16TB
exFAT = 16EiB

My camcorders using FAT32 cards split the video into 4GB segments - boundries appear seamless.

The EU tax/duty regulation on still vs video cameras was removed as of 1 July 2019

The manufacturers may have technological reasons for keeping the 30 minute limit or they may want you to buy their camcorders.
04-19-2022, 02:01 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
It's determined by SD card format limitations (maximum file size) so the only way is to start another recording, which will cause a break in recording of some type, however short.
It's a TAX thing. All still caeras in EUROPE and USA have this 29 min 59 secs limit, no matter what card is used.

---------- Post added 04-19-2022 at 11:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
As far as card formats go (file maximum conventional limit, not theoretical):
FAT32 = 4GB
NTFS = 16TB
exFAT = 16EiB

My camcorders using FAT32 cards split the video into 4GB segments - boundries appear seamless.

The EU tax/duty regulation on still vs video cameras was removed as of 1 July 2019

The manufacturers may have technological reasons for keeping the 30 minute limit or they may want you to buy their camcorders.
Thanks. I guess al my cameras are older than 2019 models :-)

04-19-2022, 01:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
I think the 4GB limit and tax/duty reasons are no longer relevant because I'm pretty sure some of the newer hybrid cameras with sensor cooling can record almost indefinitely. Correct me if I am wrong...
The sensor may be able of better but if the camera has a FAT or TAX limitation, that supersedes the sensor abilities. Newer cameras using the exFAT format could technically record longer but when 16Gb is reached, a new folder has to happen. That too could be done seamlessly if the camera software were to incorporate it but that's not the case in earlier still cameras (one difference between most still and cinematic cameras).