Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2022, 04:06 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
..., is the shutter normal closed with lens removed, or it takes power to close?
If the power is off the shutter is closed … also the camera performs a "dust clean" cycle (shakes the sensor using the SR mechanism) when switched on … a feature that can be disabled should you wish.

04-23-2022, 05:29 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 2. One, unfortunately has a stuck shutter which is unfixable. That was my white one that I bought in 2013 I took all over Italy a few times. I missed it so picked up a low shutter count black one.

I pair it with my 40xs and 35-70 zoom, It really likes that zoom. I don't use it much but i am keeping even though I just picked up a k3iii. I like handling. I like the red button which I have set to focus peaking. I like that it looks like a brick and stands up on its own and if you keep the iso down takes great pics.

Try it you may like it.
04-24-2022, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some found that the "terrible ergonomics" of the K-01 actually made it easier to operate with thick winter gloves on. I remember the first time I picked one up (it was actually a dummy display unit), my only negative thought on the ergonomics was "they should have swapped the red and green buttons". Other than that, I didn't really have a problem with it. Because I grew up with a film SLR, I wasn't locked into the all-the-controls on the fat-right-grip format.

The problem I *did* have was after I bought one and I tried to use it like a regular camera, with a neck strap, I realized that my eyes were no longer young and I couldn't hold it far enough away to focus properly. So I tried a wrist strap - and that is when I fell in love with the K-01, because I could just shoot from the end of my arm, whether it be high, or low, or off to the side. It opened up a lot of creative opportunities. With a DSLR, I tend to shoot from one viewpoint - six feet off the ground - because squatting or kneeling can be a hassle when there are crowds around (and/or because I am old and out of shape, whatever). Also, to get those shots with a DSLR, I have to put the camera in LiveView, flip the neckstrap over my head (probably knocking my hat off in the process), set up and take the shot, switch the camera back to viewfinder mode, and put the neckstrap back over my head (knocking my hat off again) -- either I will just decide the shot isn't worth the bother, or the opportunity will be gone before I get set up. Yes, shooting at the end of my arm means trying to frame the shot with the LCD at some near-unviewable angles, but you learn and adapt.

And being relatively small and light, I have no problem bolting a K-01 onto a travel-tripod and carrying the whole rig around shoulder-arms for things like Christmas lights. I'd hesitate to do that with a K-5/3/1.
04-24-2022, 11:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If the power is off the shutter is closed … also the camera performs a "dust clean" cycle (shakes the sensor using the SR mechanism) when switched on … a feature that can be disabled should you wish.
I read from other post the shutter design of mirrorless is normal open, so that it doesn't take power to open while composing and will save some. The K-01 works the other way around, must have special locking machism to maintain the shutter state w/o using additional power while open for composing.

---------- Post added 04-25-22 at 03:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
... Because I grew up with a film SLR, I wasn't locked into the all-the-controls on the fat-right-grip format.

The problem I *did* have was after I bought one and I tried to use it like a regular camera, with a neck strap, I realized that my eyes were no longer young and I couldn't hold it far enough away to focus properly...
Same here, I always want a EVF for 3 reasons, #1. due to my far sighted vision I need diopter adjustment on the add on loupe if available, #2. holding the camera at arm's length not only unsteady, but also #3 distracted by the sides and stray light, I believe I am not alone here.

04-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I originally bought my K-01 for its video capabilities, but I soon found it to be a great "carry everywhere" camera. It's also a very good stills camera. I kind of think of it as a K5 that's still in the box. Honestly though, the ergonomics haven't been much of a problem as far as the handling goes, but I do have issues seeing the screen in full sunlight. These days, like THoog, I use my K-01 with a wrist strap and I put a Limited lens on it. Makes a very handy combo.
04-26-2022, 08:35 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Love it's fantastic image quality - good movie shooting (don't listen to the haters) - and great AF accuracy.

Cons: no eye level viewfinder, slow to focus in low light.

The design language of the K-01 was unfortunately divisive. I personally like it as an object (I'm also a fan of the Geissler-designed Plaubel Makina and AGFA Optima Sensor cameras.) But if the K-01 had included an eye-level finder in a size-reduced traditional form (think mirrorless KP) it would have been a hit. Enough sales would have allowed Pentax to continue improving contrast-detect AF or adopt other sensor-based focussing strategies.
04-26-2022, 09:07 AM   #22
Pentaxian

One thing I don't like about it (which is the same as other models when using live view) is that it will partially stop down the aperture in bright light (to protect the sensor apparently) which can mess up critical manual focus (you can override if you use magnification or the aperture preview if you set it to wide open) but can be a pain...

04-26-2022, 09:36 PM   #23

the position of Green Button and Red Button should be change position for each other. When using MF lens, it is very important to Push the green button for setting Speed. However, the postition of Green button on the K01 is too far to reach when handling K01 with one hand.
04-27-2022, 01:24 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a solution to the viewfinder not existing and that is to pop an external viewfinder like the one from the Pentax Q ( pricey but effective ) or one of the generic viewfinders from ebay etc, I like that solution better than the big hoods people pop on the rear to exclude light from the screen
04-30-2022, 06:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
There is a solution to the viewfinder not existing and that is to pop an external viewfinder like the one from the Pentax Q ( pricey but effective ) or one of the generic viewfinders from ebay etc, I like that solution better than the big hoods people pop on the rear to exclude light from the screen
I used a “external viewfinder” with my Q-7 at one time.
I saw it around here the other day, but I have found a ‘big hood’ much more useful, even it is too high for me to see the settings.
Pentax’s providing a real viewfinder {an EVF} would have been the best solution.
04-30-2022, 07:03 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Only hood type finder will work for me, so that I can see everything on the LCD instead of just a plain viewing window.
04-30-2022, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Only hood type finder will work for me, so that I can see everything on the LCD instead of just a plain viewing window.
Including focus peaking!
People who depend on OVF haven’t experienced the true value of EVF.
A hood-type finder is close to EVF - but does take space.
05-01-2022, 10:00 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Including focus peaking!
People who depend on OVF haven’t experienced the true value of EVF.
A hood-type finder is close to EVF - but does take space.
I bought a finder for the rear screen - just haven't attached it yet. I'm more likely to do so now that the K-01 isn't one of my 2 primary cameras - as the hood seems suited to the video shooting I will be using the K-01 for primarily now.

And yes - I have also used an accessory optical finder. I use one from the Yashica Electro tele/wide conversion set - much cheaper than most options and just as nice. But the option only makes sense if I am shooting at hyperfocal distance.
05-02-2022, 03:18 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I bought a finder for the rear screen - just haven't attached it yet.
If it's one of the types that relies on having a magnetic frame affixed to the camera, do make sure that the surface is scrupulously clean before fitting it.
Watching the loupe slowly "unpeel" itself from the camera on a tripod whilst I was a few feet away with my hands full was a frustrating experience!
Fortunately I had connected the "safety strap", so no damage done
05-02-2022, 04:30 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I bought a finder for the rear screen - just haven't attached it yet. I'm more likely to do so now that the K-01 isn't one of my 2 primary cameras - as the hood seems suited to the video shooting I will be using the K-01 for primarily now.

And yes - I have also used an accessory optical finder. I use one from the Yashica Electro tele/wide conversion set - much cheaper than most options and just as nice. But the option only makes sense if I am shooting at hyperfocal distance.
I have a ‘hood’ that attaches as a tripod would. As I initially expected, I need it to make good use of my ‘Q’ outside - and I do use it for still shots. Unfortunately it places the ‘hood’ so high that I need spacers to lower the ‘hood’ if I am going to see the settings shown at the bottom of the screen. I have never intentionally taken video - only when I accidentally put a camera there. As I have said many times, my experience with the ‘Q’ is why I got a K-30 instead of a K-01. If only Pentax had used a EVF …….

added: I originally got the Q-7 for birding - where focusing is very important. These days, I would probably prefer using the KP, but at 74, I have a hard time lugging it where ever my wife wants to go, so I am again exploring use of the “Q”, now as a light-weight alternative. If only it had a viewfinder ……

Last edited by reh321; 05-02-2022 at 05:24 AM.