Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2022, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I wish I had kept mine. If a new generation K-mount mirrorless (dare I dream for a full frame?) were to be released, I'd be first in line.

If it had a flippy rear LCD I'd even be happy without an EVF.
A compact rangefinder style body like a Sony a6000 or Panasonic GX8 with standard k mount would be fun. Sure it would be thicker than the mirrorless models of most but the lack of a mirror and associated hardware should permit some weight reduction. It would be an interesting addition to the line up; but would it have broad appeal? I’m unsure. But a rangefinder style is what I’d recommend as the center hot shot could have an optical viewer (not ttl, just a sight and framing aid) for a standard lens to give the best of both worlds. Ideally a bit more intuitive external control aka Fuji or older film gear would make it more pleasing to use the optical viewer without the electronic overlay. Alternately a model with either EVF or ovf mounted to the hot shot - but I’ve used those and the ergonomics of the EVF tend to be poor and it adds bulk that can’t be ignored.

But I’m dreaming…

05-26-2022, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Pentax could have chosen to implement a mirroless mount with a much shorter registration distance and sell the K-01 with an adapter consisting of an empty tube with a K-Mount bayonet at its far end, thus allowing Pentax users to mount their legacy lenses. It would have made the camera truly pocketable when used without the "snout". And Pentax would have benefited on both fronts, being also able to sell a new range of small mirroless lenses for people wanting a compact setup.

It's such a shame Pentax could not foresee the colossal advantage offered by a mirrorless with a shorter mount for adapting all kind of lenses. I love my K-01 twins but I cannot help thinking how sweet it would have been if they had a 18mm registration distance instead of 45.46mm...

Cheers !

Abbazz
Yes, Pentax tried the K-01 and four “Q”s {all without a viewfinder} about the time Canon was trying the EOS-M {also without a viewfinder}.

Canon kept trying and eventually succeeded {with viewfinder}.
Pentax - instead of trying a different design - decided “MILC is not for us”.
Ricoh did succeed with the GR {still without viewfinder}
05-26-2022, 06:01 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A compact rangefinder style body like a Sony a6000 or Panasonic GX8 with standard k mount would be fun. Sure it would be thicker than the mirrorless models of most but the lack of a mirror and associated hardware should permit some weight reduction. It would be an interesting addition to the line up; but would it have broad appeal? I’m unsure. But a rangefinder style is what I’d recommend as the center hot shot could have an optical viewer (not ttl, just a sight and framing aid) for a standard lens to give the best of both worlds. Ideally a bit more intuitive external control aka Fuji or older film gear would make it more pleasing to use the optical viewer without the electronic overlay. Alternately a model with either EVF or ovf mounted to the hot shot - but I’ve used those and the ergonomics of the EVF tend to be poor and it adds bulk that can’t be ignored.

But I’m dreaming…
I purchased a “GR” optical viewfinder for my “Q”.
Of course, in this case, it is too wide, but I might be able to work with it,
but it is useless in trying to focus a manual lens,
so manual lenses are usable only for landscape shots - where you focus at infinity and hope DOF covers enough.
06-02-2022, 03:29 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello!
I am on the verge of picking up a used K-01 from the several available on eBay. The black out screen that Robin described would definitely annoy me. When you say “Turn off in camera correction,” are you indicating that this is a setting that can be changed on the camera? That would be awesome. Thanks in advance for your reply!
Best regards,
Celeste

06-02-2022, 11:47 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CTB17 Quote
Hello!
I am on the verge of picking up a used K-01 from the several available on eBay. The black out screen that Robin described would definitely annoy me. When you say “Turn off in camera correction,” are you indicating that this is a setting that can be changed on the camera? That would be awesome. Thanks in advance for your reply!
Best regards,
Celeste
Lens corrections can be applied by the camera to the JPG files. This is not strictly required - particularly if you shoot raw. All of this is able to be controlled via menu settings.
06-03-2022, 01:57 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If a new generation K-mount mirrorless (dare I dream for a full frame?) were to be released, I'd be first in line.
Hey, I even dream of an MF version (44x33mm), just to annoy Fuji.

A 28/3.5 Shift for wideangle, 50/1.2 for normal, and maybe the M100/2.8 for longer, based on this review:
SMC Pentax-M 100mm F2.8 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database