05-02-2022, 11:08 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
A brand new 'review' of the Pentax K-01 by Olympus expert Robin Wong

A brand new 'review' of the Pentax K-01 by Olympus expert Robin Wong:

05-02-2022, 12:17 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was an interesting watch. I am among those who might have tried it if it had 1) an EVF, and 2) PDAF autofocus embedded in the sensor. I stuck with the dslr cameras in Pentax and went elsewhere for mirrorless.

For context: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-01-review/autofocus-performance.html
05-02-2022, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Wonder what firmware his body has. AF definitely improved with firmware, but reviewers seldom did a follow-up to improve the tarnished reputation.

No doubt the K-02 with a stacked 26Mpx sensor would be amazing, with vertical EVF in place of flash a la TLR design, and on-sensor PDAF and/or Z9 shutterless design with a mess of internal memory for speedy sensor readout. Sorry Robin, to use K-mount lenses it has to be ~dSLR size; also check out the G9 and GH5+ if you think the K-01 is "too big".

Makes me think of seeking a panda again - dam u RW!
05-02-2022, 03:05 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Time Traveller Quote
A brand new 'review' of the Pentax K-01 by Olympus expert Robin Wong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr-8Jf9SVKE
What always makes me wonder is the fact that most people complain about the size, but they never mention the obvious reason for this: it is the only mirrorless that can handle all the K-mounts... For a downsized mirrorless you need to introduce a new mount and that is what most other manufacturers did. The K-01 stands out in that. And I never found the AF slow or unreliable. And the black out screen? Turn off in camera correction. I am the proud owner of the Yellow K-01 and it is a camera with character. But Mr. Wong is pleasantly surprised with his K-01 and that is good to hear/view.

05-02-2022, 05:50 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
What always makes me wonder is the fact that most people complain about the size, but they never mention the obvious reason for this: it is the only mirrorless that can handle all the K-mounts.
There is another reason for the size, too: to provide a decent heat sink. Casual users and internet whiners who call the K-01 a "failure" never take the trouble to understand the camera.
05-02-2022, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought it was interesting that he reviewed it. If I recall correctly, he complained about the camera but loved the design and to shot with it...
05-02-2022, 09:08 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmm18 Quote
I thought it was interesting that he reviewed it. If I recall correctly, he complained about the camera but loved the design and to shot with it...
Ironically he states it “isn’t a review” but then kind of does review it.

05-03-2022, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was interesting, but he also projected backwards some of ideas from the present onto a 10 year old camera. And he didn't seem to have learned much about it. But he did have some good things to say. And despite his criticisms, he showed many very nice images.

It was about 2-3 minutes of content in 11 minutes of watching. That's too little for me, but very common with YouTubers. I have a hard time learning from video content as it's just too slow watching other people talk.
05-03-2022, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #9

he talks about shutter lag, i think its user error, there's some lag, but not half a second, if you use focus priority, but when I change mine to release priority its instant release
05-03-2022, 11:09 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoLun Quote
he talks about shutter lag, i think its user error, there's some lag, but not half a second, if you use focus priority, but when I change mine to release priority its instant release
Depends on the lens.
Give any a/f system a wide-aperture lens and it'll focus and lock somewhat faster than with a "kit" lens fitted.
Obviously, if your camera is set to Release Priority it'll release instantly … that's why it's called Release Priority … most of us prefer to wait for the subject to come into focus
05-04-2022, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cowlitzJim Quote
Sorry Robin, to use K-mount lenses it has to be ~dSLR size
Pentax could have chosen to implement a mirroless mount with a much shorter registration distance and sell the K-01 with an adapter consisting of an empty tube with a K-Mount bayonet at its far end, thus allowing Pentax users to mount their legacy lenses. It would have made the camera truly pocketable when used without the "snout". And Pentax would have benefited on both fronts, being also able to sell a new range of small mirroless lenses for people wanting a compact setup.

It's such a shame Pentax could not foresee the colossal advantage offered by a mirrorless with a shorter mount for adapting all kind of lenses. I love my K-01 twins but I cannot help thinking how sweet it would have been if they had a 18mm registration distance instead of 45.46mm...

Cheers !

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 05-04-2022 at 01:46 AM.
05-04-2022, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Depends on the lens.
Give any a/f system a wide-aperture lens and it'll focus and lock somewhat faster than with a "kit" lens fitted.
Obviously, if your camera is set to Release Priority it'll release instantly … that's why it's called Release Priority … most of us prefer to wait for the subject to come into focus
He was using the DA 40mm XS lens, solely it appeared. That's not a lens which I've ever found to be slow to focus. Not sure what he was doing to have such long focus times and/or shutter delay.
05-24-2022, 05:35 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

His video was what convinced me to buy my eBay bumblebee with no shutter count listed. Nice shots, I'm not in a hurry for photos most of the time, and he has an infectious smile!
05-25-2022, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
His video was what convinced me to buy my eBay bumblebee with no shutter count listed. Nice shots, I'm not in a hurry for photos most of the time, and he has an infectious smile!
Enjoy it! I just picked a white one to go with my black one.

05-26-2022, 01:26 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish I had kept mine. If a new generation K-mount mirrorless (dare I dream for a full frame?) were to be released, I'd be first in line.

If it had a flippy rear LCD I'd even be happy without an EVF.