Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2022, 09:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Date counter zeros out after every shutoff--even with full battery

My K-01 has started zeroing out the date back to 2012, everytime I turn it off, even with a fully charged battery? Any fix, or is it dying?

06-20-2022, 10:14 AM   #2

This usually means the internal clock battery will no longer hold a charge. The only real fix is to open the camera up and replace the internal battery. The battery is usually soldered directly to the mainboard and can be difficult to replace.
06-20-2022, 10:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
internal battery is bad
06-20-2022, 10:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The good news: loosing date and camera settings everytime you turn the camera off is as bad as it gets, everything else should continue working.

06-20-2022, 03:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The only problem that I'm aware of is that a faulty internal battery can cause the main battery to drain rather faster than usual … that's what happens with my K-01 anyway!
06-21-2022, 07:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
My K-01 has started zeroing out the date back to 2012, everytime I turn it off, even with a fully charged battery? Any fix, or is it dying?
As others have said, the internal battery has croaked, and is not especially user serviceable. My experience with this was with a K3 that I let sit for an extended storage period with no main battery inserted.
Live and learn. Don't leave these cameras without a main battery in them and make sure that battery is taken out and recharged often enough to not go dead as they can also lose so much charge that they can become unusable.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 06-21-2022 at 02:19 PM.
06-21-2022, 09:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
My Q-7 specifically asks the date/time almost any time I change the main battery, so I simply have my iPhone at hand any time I do that change. It is a minor inconvenience - if this is as bad as it gets, I can handle that.

06-21-2022, 11:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My K-01 looses the date/time when I remove the battery, but not between power cycles with the battery in it. I only recently bought it, then sent it off for IR conversion, but this thread got me thinking, will I lose other settings? If I set a custom white balance for the IR, or make other config settings, will it retain those, or does it reset all the settings as well?
06-21-2022, 02:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
My K-01 looses the date/time when I remove the battery, but not between power cycles with the battery in it. I only recently bought it, then sent it off for IR conversion, but this thread got me thinking, will I lose other settings? If I set a custom white balance for the IR, or make other config settings, will it retain those, or does it reset all the settings as well?
It resets everything that is user settable. Date, time, custom user settings, whatever you can set yourself is gone, either back to a default setting or erased entirely.
06-21-2022, 03:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It resets everything that is user settable. Date, time, custom user settings, whatever you can set yourself is gone, either back to a default setting or erased entirely.
Not on mine … just the date/time needs resetting, the info that's stored and maintained by the internal battery.
Other settings/configurations appear to be stored in flash RAM (or similar) so my frame numbers, Custom White Balance, previously used shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc. are all retained, assuming they are configured to do so in the Menu … see p195 in the Operating Manual.
06-21-2022, 04:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Not on mine … just the date/time needs resetting, the info that's stored and maintained by the internal battery.
Other settings/configurations appear to be stored in flash RAM (or similar) so my frame numbers, Custom White Balance, previously used shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc. are all retained, assuming they are configured to do so in the Menu … see p195 in the Operating Manual.
That will teach me to read the manual....
06-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

thanks! The camera arrived early, so now I can test myself.
07-20-2022, 11:29 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
thanks! The camera arrived early, so now I can test myself.
I'm not 100% sure Ifixed it, but...

When I had the problem of the dead internal battery/capacitor (which is it?), I set the "auto power off" to never turn-off and after a few battery drains of the main battery, it appeared to retain the date and time.

Like I said, I don't know if I fixed it, if the charge to the internal electron storing device takes a long time, or if the stars have aligned and all is well without respect to my puny efforts.

I regard the K-01 as nearly equal to my K-5iis, which is identical to the APS-c frame of the K-1.
And its cheap!
07-20-2022, 02:21 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by squareeyes Quote
When I had the problem of the dead internal battery/capacitor (which is it?), I set the "auto power off" to never turn-off and after a few battery drains of the main battery, it appeared to retain the date and time.
Like I said, I don't know if I fixed it, if the charge to the internal electron storing device takes a long time, or if the stars have aligned and all is well without respect to my puny efforts.
It's an internal battery!
I'd tried most combinations of battery drain and recharge, also using an external power supply and "dummy" battery, in an effort to encourage my clock to remember it's settings with the main battery removed, so far with no luck … I'll be trying this concept of setting the camera to "never turn off" with interest!
Thanks for the idea