Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2022, 02:57 PM   #76

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Tell that to the German manufacturers.
Ironically, mirrorless cameras don't seen to sell for significantly less than SLRS.
When the manufacture is not passing the saving along to the customer they are increasing their profit margin

11-03-2022, 02:59 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tell that to the German manufacturers.
Ironically, mirrorless cameras don't seen to sell for significantly less than SLRS.
And sometimes, significantly more!
11-03-2022, 03:15 PM   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
For Sigma they are important tools for their main focus. Developing 3rd party lenses.
How you develop 3rd party lenses is you test them on the intended original cameras.

Tamron, Tokina and Cosina don't make their own cameras in order to develop products.
11-03-2022, 03:42 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Sony has supported screw drive AF för A-mount lenses on E-mount cameras for over 10 years.
There also a third party adapter that support screw drive AF on K-mount lenses for E-mount cameras.
https://www.monsteradapter.com/products/la-ke1-pentax-k-mount-lenses-to-sony...ameras-adapter
Presumably you read the notes at the end of their ad
QuoteQuote:

[Note: For lenses not in the supported list, their performance cannot be used as the basis for return or exchange.

*3. The adapter will support the screw-drive AF and mechanic lever aperture control lenses (F, FA, DA, DFA series) first, and through firmware updates, it will later support the motorized AF lenses (SDM, DC) and the electromagnetic aperture lenses.
Somewhere I believe they exclude support for third-party lenses. Right now, most of my lenses are either “motorized AF lenses” or third-party lenses, and one of my lenses {the 55-300mm PLM lens} is both a “motorized AF lens” and a “electromagnetic aperture” lens. I think I’ll stick with Pentax; that way, I won’t have to take on the infamous Sony Menu System.

Last edited by reh321; 11-03-2022 at 03:49 PM.
11-03-2022, 06:08 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
When the manufacture is not passing the saving along to the customer they are increasing their profit margin
Sony practices corporate greed? Say it isn't so!!
11-03-2022, 06:23 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
MILC is not for us
I have no interest in using mirrorless cameras. I've used (but never owned) several Sony cameras and they were all very unsatisfying to use (I won't even bring up their horrible menu and button layout -- oops, I just did). I owned a Q7 but never really got along with it. I decided to try again so I bought a Nikon Z 9 instead of a D6. The horrible electronic clicking noise it makes when taking a photo is enough to drive any DSLR fan away. Models hate it when I turn the terrible click off because they don't know when I've taken the photo. Like all EVFs, an optical viewfinder is so much better. Battery life is so much better on a DSLR. When I'm not using my Pentax equipment I reach for my D850 or D4 much more often than the Z 9.

I love what Pentax is doing. I love it when people say they switch to mirrorless because they want the newest technology. I tell them the K-3 iii is much newer technology. If you want a mirrorless experience, just put your Pentax in Live View mode for a while. I can't see a single advantage to switching to mirrorless.

See which camera I purchased above. I could have bought three K-1 mk ii cameras and a decent lens for the same amount of money.
11-03-2022, 06:28 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Somewhere I believe they exclude support for third-party lenses. Right now, most of my lenses are either “motorized AF lenses” or third-party lenses, and one of my lenses {the 55-300mm PLM lens} is both a “motorized AF lens” and a “electromagnetic aperture” lens. I think I’ll stick with Pentax; that way, I won’t have to take on the infamous Sony Menu System.
I can tell you the menus in the latest bodies are much better - I haven’t bought one but I have explored one. My menu is the old style.

11-03-2022, 09:13 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I can tell you the menus in the latest bodies are much better - I haven’t bought one but I have explored one. My menu is the old style.
My preferred mode of operation is to have minimal contact with the menu system. Once I have it set up, I can make most changes to my KP via external controls. Someone who can talk about the menu system already knows too much about it.

Last edited by reh321; 11-03-2022 at 09:20 PM.
11-03-2022, 09:34 PM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
How you develop 3rd party lenses is you test them on the intended original cameras.

Tamron, Tokina and Cosina don't make their own cameras in rder to develop products.
It is possible to do without your own cameras, but it makes it more difficult.
How many recent lenses for mirrorless has Tokina developed by their own?

Do you think it was by chance that Sigma used Canon EF communication protocol on their DSLRs?
11-03-2022, 10:43 PM   #85
Pentaxian

They have already updated the firmware to support KAF3 and KAF4 lenses as you can see in the supported lens list (although they are not yet support PLM motor). Other lenses may also work but the function is not verified and guaranteed. Just like Pentax do not guarantee function on 3rd party lenses.
11-04-2022, 02:38 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
The Pentax KP you have is the last camera you'll be buying then IMHO. I don't expect there to ever be another new Pentax camera that comes in at under $1000 new. The market is shrinking by the month and there's no making up low prices with volume.

(Edit: I'll qualify that, under $995.00. Iffy, but possible)
Eventually Pentax will need to replace the K-70. It certainly won't sell for 576, as the K-70 does, but I would expect them to try see what they can fit into the 800 to 850 range. I wouldn't expect high end K-3 III features though -- nothing like astro tracer 3 or eye auto focus through the viewfinder.
11-04-2022, 05:07 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is possible to do without your own cameras, but it makes it more difficult.
How many recent lenses for mirrorless has Tokina developed by their own?

Do you think it was by chance that Sigma used Canon EF communication protocol on their DSLRs?
But note, both Nikon and canon are starting to draw back on licensing their mounts, and sigma stopped supporting their Pentax mounts (which are reverse engineered). As the market contracts, independent lens makers will struggle.

Even if they retain their legacy lenses, this marked will soon die.

I would look for consolidation in the lens and camera marked, with especially independent lens makers merging or being bought by the existing camera makers, or becoming simply component suppliers or subcontractors to existing camera makers
11-04-2022, 05:45 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Eventually Pentax will need to replace the K-70. It certainly won't sell for 576, as the K-70 does, but I would expect them to try see what they can fit into the 800 to 850 range. I wouldn't expect high end K-3 III features though -- nothing like astro tracer 3 or eye auto focus through the viewfinder.
I’m not sure what will follow the K-70, which is why I’m so careful to say what I will or will not spend my money on. I suspect it will use the new processor, which opens up all kinds of possibilities. I would not pay for the new prism; I might pay for the new focusing system, depending on what is ported and how it is done. So many possible directions!

Last edited by reh321; 11-04-2022 at 05:55 AM.
11-04-2022, 06:01 AM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
But note, both Nikon and canon are starting to draw back on licensing their mounts, and sigma stopped supporting their Pentax mounts (which are reverse engineered). As the market contracts, independent lens makers will struggle.

Even if they retain their legacy lenses, this marked will soon die.

I would look for consolidation in the lens and camera marked, with especially independent lens makers merging or being bought by the existing camera makers, or becoming simply component suppliers or subcontractors to existing camera makers
I do not think Canon or Nikon has ever licensed their IP.
But they lately they seems to be more protective of their IP. Like when Canon threatened to sue Viltrox over patent infringement.

Back when the camera market increased every year they saw 3rd party manufacturers differently.
And back then 3rd party lenses were generally of lower quality.
11-04-2022, 06:19 AM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not think Canon or Nikon has ever licensed their IP.
But they lately they seems to be more protective of their IP. Like when Canon threatened to sue Viltrox over patent infringement.

Back when the camera market increased every year they saw 3rd party manufacturers differently.
And back then 3rd party lenses were generally of lower quality.
Tamron licenses Z mount and some Tamron design lenses are sold with Nikon rebranding.

Nikon Looks to be Rehousing Tamron Lenses for its Mirrorless Cameras | PetaPixel