Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2022, 07:37 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Just get a Monster AF adapter and a 2nd hand Sony A7iii and be done with it.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=...MT-ePRIrU6OtPS

I have lost all hope and patience that Pentax will come up with one.

I look at the adapter I have, the size, its general usability and imagine that it could only be better if Pentax even bothered with a MILC and such an adapter.
People keep suggesting the “Monster”.
What a Monstrous choice. No!
Then I would have to contend with Sony menus!
No, I would rather switch to Canon or Nikon including spending money on lenses..
My real preference would be that Pentax do it right.
Constantly redirecting this discussion to Monster/Sony is not an answer!!

Last edited by reh321; 11-23-2022 at 02:20 PM.
11-23-2022, 10:08 AM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

For those of us who learned to shoot with a couple dials and an aperture ring, all that info is pretty much a distraction. And I'd seriously question why you need to know the focal length of your zoom. It's a distracting info aid, not a useful composition tool. I set my aperture, don't need the display in the viewfinder, I peak at my shutter speed to make sure it doesn't fall too low. Those are practical considerations. I have no idea how the rest of it would help me. It's there, but why? Most controls are set and forget. I find my Lumix ZS100 with all the bells and whistles my least enjoyable camera to use and the hardest to get images with. It's mostly used because it's easy to carry and for 4k video. But compared to the K-3 or K-1, it's a source of frustration more than anything else. Clean and uncluttered is my preference.

The first time I looked through the EV on my ZS 100, and saw all the clutter overlayed on the image, I quickly learned how to turn everything I could off. Everyone's different.
^^^^^This^^^^^^ What the marketers are selling as viewfinder features are distractions, plain and simple.
11-23-2022, 10:11 AM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I wouldn't say there's a crowd at all. From my point of view the cameras available with the L-mount are:

1. Leica. Far too expensive.
2. Sigma. No grip and no shutter make them a poor choice for almost any photography.
3. Panasonic. Proper, capable cameras at a reasonable price.

So essentially L-mount cameras are limited to Panasonic Lumix for the vast majority of users and I'm certain that Panasonic has sold many times the number of L-mount cameras as Leica and Sigma combined. Pentax would really only be competing with Panasonic unless Leica drop their prices (not going to happen) or Sigma up their game and start making cameras that aren't weird and handicapped (highly unlikely).
The crowd is mirrorless cameras in general. The L mount is splitting off a fraction of the market, a Pentax L mount would split off a fraction of people who decided to go with L mount rather than Canon, Nikon, Fuji or Sony.
11-23-2022, 02:38 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot Sony and Pentax. I have previously shot Panasonic and Olympus m43 and Samsung NX as well as several higher end enthusiast mirrorless fixed lens cameras. The reality is these are all just tools. If you like one vs another use it. It’s not a question of character or skill that sets one from the other.

As to an adapter… even the native adapters from Sony (a-mount) Nikon (f mount) and Canon (EF mount) aren’t completely satisfactory. The monster adapter is a mixed bag. I know it seems appealing but it’s really mostly useful for lens nerds. The Sigma MC-11 adapter and Canon EF mount lenses is probably the most native like option I know of that hasn’t been made by the same company as the mount.

11-24-2022, 05:57 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
People keep suggesting the “Monster”.
What a Monstrous choice. No!
Then I would have to contend with Sony menus!
No, I would rather switch to Canon or Nikon including spending money on lenses..
My real preference would be that Pentax do it right.
Constantly redirecting this discussion to Monster/Sony is not an answer!!
To me, enough waiting and enough missed shots with some lenses (notably 31ltd).
People ask / whine for a 'what ot can be'; I tell them the facts that there are alternatives NOW (without being a total ship jumper )
I spent enough money on Pentax "loyalty points" with duplicates of focal lengths from Takumar 85s to FA*85, same for 50mms, 35mm, 28mm, and even something almost no one has (Takumar 100/2)
But what I get from Pentax is nothing....

So I have to take care of myself too, hedge my bets and also invest on the side with the adapter and Sony....

I don't think I was the one who walked away from the aisle on wedding day.
Pentax to me won't do it right even when they could / can.
11-24-2022, 06:11 AM   #111
Pentaxian

To me, enough waiting and enough missed shots with some lenses (notably 31ltd).
People ask / whine for a 'what ot can be'; I tell them the facts that there are alternatives NOW (without being a total ship jumper )
I spent enough money on Pentax "loyalty points" with duplicates of focal lengths from Takumar 85s to FA*85, same for 50mms, 35mm, 28mm, and even something almost no one has (Takumar 100/2)
But what I get from Pentax is nothing....

So I have to take care of myself too, hedge my bets and also invest on the side with the adapter and Sony....

I don't think I was the one who walked away from the aisle on wedding day.
Pentax to me won't do it right even when they could / can.
Pentax is the point of this thread.
“Monster” and Sony are not, but people keep bringing them up.
11-24-2022, 06:27 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Pentax is the point of this thread.
“Monster” and Sony are not, but people keep bringing them up.
Thats really just your perspective.

Ppl have a problem and need a solution.
I rather give them a solution to continue to stay with Pentax in some form or another than selling all the hard bought gear and leaving altogether.
We have seen enough of that over the years and years on this forum.

Ok, enough from me on this topic (better off taking and processing more photos )

11-24-2022, 08:09 AM - 3 Likes   #113
Pentaxian

I rather give them a solution to continue to stay with Pentax in some form or another than selling all the hard bought gear and leaving altogether.

Ok, enough from me on this topic (better off taking and processing more photos )
Thanks for your input... it's always worth a read.
I always give preference to the advice of people who take outstanding images.
11-24-2022, 02:08 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Once I have setup my Pentax cameras, I can perform most operations using external controls.

That is my perspective, and I have no reason to apologizing for it, and certainly no reason to move to Sony, which is more like using a typical Sony device.
11-24-2022, 05:28 PM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Once I have setup my Pentax cameras, I can perform most operations using external controls.

That is my perspective, and I have no reason to apologizing for it, and certainly no reason to move to Sony, which is more like using a typical Sony device.
Actually they are proper cameras since like
Pentax you have good customization and many external controls. But I still like my Pentax controls (3rd wheel) on my KP and wish my Sony had more logical menus.
12-01-2022, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by squareeyes Quote
Now there is little (absolutely no) hope of Pentax again trying mirrorless, but I wistfully wish they would
Why do people keep saying that? Gets this K-01 owner confused, EVERY Pentax from about 2010 onwards has a Mirrorless Mode that makes it shoot exactly like the K-01, it's called Mirror Lockup in Live View. Works perfectly fine, although the K-1 and a select few models with a moveable screen do make the best use of that mode.
12-01-2022, 05:17 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Why do people keep saying that? Gets this K-01 owner confused, EVERY Pentax from about 2010 onwards has a Mirrorless Mode that makes it shoot exactly like the K-01, it's called Mirror Lockup in Live View. Works perfectly fine, although the K-1 and a select few models with a moveable screen do make the best use of that mode.
The difference between a K-01 and a K-mount camera in “mirrorless mode” is the fact that the latter lugs {unused} prism and mirror with them. The people who keep saying that could be people who would rather not lug that {unused} weight with them.
12-01-2022, 05:41 AM - 3 Likes   #118
Loyal Site Supporter

The difference between a K-01 and a K-mount camera in “mirrorless mode” is the fact that the latter lugs {unused} prism and mirror with them. The people who keep saying that could be people who would rather not lug that {unused} weight with them.
Put more in perspective the weight difference between a modern mirrorless like the Sony A7III and the Pentax K3III is roughly the weight of a Kershaw pocketknife. That's not enough to discourage me from carrying either one.

The whole "OMG, DSLR is so heavy" is a bit overblown, more handwringing than an actual issue. Hang a lens on it and neither size nor weight is all that different. If you simply prefer using MILC's then do so. I can see reasons why someone might, video being a primary one if it's something you do regularly. Ditching your otherwise very good and very capable and probably less expensive DSLR because of the weight doesn't seem like a good reason to me, but everyone spends their own money on what they want.
12-01-2022, 07:34 AM   #119
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Put more in perspective the weight difference between a modern mirrorless like the Sony A7III and the Pentax K3III is roughly the weight of a Kershaw pocketknife. That's not enough to discourage me from carrying either one.

The whole "OMG, DSLR is so heavy" is a bit overblown, more handwringing than an actual issue. Hang a lens on it and neither size nor weight is all that different. If you simply prefer using MILC's then do so. I can see reasons why someone might, video being a primary one if it's something you do regularly. Ditching your otherwise very good and very capable and probably less expensive DSLR because of the weight doesn't seem like a good reason to me, but everyone spends their own money on what they want.
I’m not quite saying “OMG, my camera is too heavy”, but I do notice the weight of my K-30 these days {I usually use it with AA batteries, which does increase the weight}. A few weeks ago, responding to two different discussions on a ‘generic’ {not brand-specific} discussion forum - one about photographing near high voltage wires and one about ‘communications’ between a relatively recent camera and an older lens - I walked {downhill} from our house and took a photo while standing under high-voltage wires {visible on in the photo} with a Takumar lens - then walked back home {uphill of course}, and involuntarily sat down across from our house. A neighbor helped me up. I could have made that walk with my Q-7, or taken that picture with the K-30, but the combination was too much for my {mid-70’s} back and legs. All I saying is the weight of a K-mount DSLR does come into consideration sometimes - you cannot act as though it is a MILC with mirror and prism.
12-01-2022, 07:37 AM - 3 Likes   #120
Pentaxian

I'm 74 with two torn rotator cuffs and I carry my K-1 without issue. I also carry my ZS100 without issue. I'm starting to wonder if some users have serious physical handicaps. We outfitted a former student with a camera tripod that attached to his wheel chair so he could take my photography class. It's starting to sound like some of these people might want the info on that. Honestly, you don't have to carry any weight at all, we can set you up.

This is where I launch into the diatribe about the benefits of physical activity. 65 years of carrying camera gear everywhere I go, some of it quite heavy, hasn't caused me any harm (football did that) and I may actually be in better shape because of what I do carry. I'm not sure where the goal of being as lazy as possible came from. I have made one concession, I don''t carry my 6 pound Tamron 300 much anymore. But a K-1 with DFA 28-105, DA 55-300 PLM, Sigma 24 macro and DFA 100 macro and sometimes DA*55 1.4, I can handle without issue.

Take the normhead challenge, take the best camera for the job without considering weight and see if it causes you suffering. Can you keep up with a 74 year old? You might live longer because of it.