Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2023, 10:53 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Robin Wong rates K01 best color

HI all

Our poor little K-01 doesn't get much airplay these days but in Robin Wong's video about ccd vs cmos colors, he sites the K-01 as one of two cameras that he finds to have the best colors.

Not discussing cmos vs ccd, just that our K-01 got some recognition.

04-08-2023, 05:34 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
The K01 is a fun little box. Pentax should revisit it with a KO2 with viewfinder I think the depth of the camera would not now be such a big issue as many of the mirrorless are large cameras. Alas I know Pentax is never going down that road again.
04-08-2023, 06:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It is a wellknown fact that the colours of the K-01 are very good. Probably based on the K-5 genes this camera has. Compared to my K-3 Mark II I think I like the colours much more of the K-01 but there is more to it, what it produced is actually brilliant, I am still hesitating compared to my KP. The K-01 was way ahead of its time. Only we were not ready yet. K-01: a late lamented camera....

QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
Pentax should revisit it with a KO2 with viewfinder
It would not be a "revisited" K-01 then. Would be just another DSLR (either with an optical or a digital viewfinder).
04-08-2023, 10:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The K-01 almost certainly has it's place in the scheme of things … just haven't found it yet
Still love the styling tho'

04-08-2023, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just for that I went out today and took some photos with my K-01

Pentax K-01 + Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC Fisheye HSM

04-08-2023, 07:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the camera comes in (at least) blue, yellow, black, and white (I think)!
04-08-2023, 07:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
Well, the camera comes in (at least) blue, yellow, black, and white (I think)!
LOL!!!!!

04-12-2023, 10:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Interesting video. Wong says he wants "accurate" colors, which is fine, but that doesn't appear to be the majority view. Someone did a poll a few years ago asking about what colors people preferred in images and relating those findings to the cameras used. Fuji colors turned out to be the one's most preferred, Sony's the least (Pentax wasn't included in the poll). Now supposedly Sony's colors are the most accurate in the industry. But that's obviously what's not preferred. It would appear that what the majority of people want is colors that look natural, but are actually a little better --- more vibrant, richer, more "real" --- than reality itself.

What also needs to be kept in mind is it's not that just the cameras that contribute to color of images, but it's the lenses as well. Wong is getting great color out of his K-01 because he's using that 40mm pancake lens, with its SMC and ghostless coatings and only five elements in four groups. A lens like that allows the camera to capture a greater percentage of the color spectrum, that is, essentially more color data for richer results.
05-18-2023, 08:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Wong says he wants "accurate" colors, which is fine, but that doesn't appear to be the majority view.
He's relaying the conventional wisdom that has guided "serious" photography for most of its history. It's been a never ending quest for transparency, the illusion that you're looking out a picture window with no distortion or artifacts of the photographic process. That means no geometric distortion, no lens flare, no mis-focus, no mis-exposure, no ragged bokeh, no double exposure, no thumb in the frame, and for sure no wacky colors.

Then Lomography came along and turned all that upside-down and celebrated all the artifacts of the photographic process. All the flaws and mistakes of the past became a playground to explore. And then, of course, some people took it way too far, because there's always some people who will take anything too far, and massive numbers of dreadful photos were produced. But the basic idea was right, that we don't have to be slaves to a doctrine of photographic transparency.