Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 12:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
here's a screenshot taken at full settings. although the animated graphics during gameplay looks much better than the captured jpeg images.

07-28-2010, 03:08 AM   #17

Original Poster
Pentaxor, we should do some 1v1 or 2v2 sometime. I PMed you my Bnet info
07-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
you can run it at low settings but it would look crappy. you need a very good system to look at it's best and enjoy the experience of it's graphics capability. I hope my new system would be able to do that when I install it later.
i am currently running the game at 1900X1200 rez and all settings set to High

i have an E8400 chip, 4 gigs of ram, a 32mb/s1Tb drive, and a GeForce 8800 card

that is a very out-dated system by todays standards

so no, you do not need "a very good system", blizzard has always made their games as userfriendly as possible (unlike Crysis, for instance)
07-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
I used to play, but haven't found the time to actually get good at the game. My APM was pretty terrible.

Although last semester, I kept seeing this cute Korean girl (!) playing SC, so that might be good motivation to start playing again
If she's korean, you better work hard so that you don't just get totally creamed when playing against her

Can't wait to get SC 2... I'll post my battlenetid here after I get it

07-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i am currently running the game at 1900X1200 rez and all settings set to High

i have an E8400 chip, 4 gigs of ram, a 32mb/s1Tb drive, and a GeForce 8800 card

that is a very out-dated system by todays standards

so no, you do not need "a very good system", blizzard has always made their games as userfriendly as possible (unlike Crysis, for instance)
Gooshin, you're wrong about your system. it is not very outdated by today's standards. the E8400 chip runs at 3 GHZ and has a 6 MB cache with 1333 FSB speed which is slightly lower or equal and better in a few aspects than some i3 and i5. it is also significantly faster than some of the modern day mobile i3,i5 and i7 which are running from 1.6 ghz to 2.5 ghz respectively. some of them have even lower FSB speed and memory cache.

and I dont know if you are aware of this, but your Geforce 8800 graphics card is one powerful card and the most celebrated card by Nvidia and most sought after by gamers. even by today's standards, it runs better compared to most modern day graphics card. to tell you honestly, I was after this card 2 years ago because it was so fast and it is still till now. not to mention that it runs fast even alone, much more if you put make it an SLI pair. 1 GB of RAM is enough to run the game efficiently, you got 4 GB ram so you got enough spare for the extras but I dont think you will need more of it since it is mostly to be used to decrease loading time in support of your 3 GHZ cpu.

so SC2 should run perfectly well with your system and it's not an anomaly.

although I would agree on the point that some games can be a burden like Crysis which demands a lot of processing power and an SLI, X2 or Xfire graphics card combo.

as far as new cpus are concerned, dont ever believe that all of them are really new. because some of them are just rebranded or I forgot that term which is used in the computer lingo where you replace the name of an old cpu with a new one.

it is somehow true in a way that blizzard makes their games user-friendly as much as possible compared with other games, but WOW still needs a very good system. I ran it with an old T8100 system before under low settings with 2 GB of RAM with a geforce 8400 with 256MB dedicated memory but could use some system memory as an additional.

it would be interesting to see how SC2 would run on it since I updated it with Windows 7 so that I could utilize 4GB of RAM. I'll try and see how it works out.

from what I see, the O/S manages resources much better than the XP. and Yes, Vista is an epic failure.
07-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

yeah, cant wait to see Pentaxforum SC CLUB. it would be nice to see us engage in other stuff aside from photography and enjoy it.
07-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I am very aware of the merits of my components

however they are obsolete, and quite honestly not too expensive to begin with. I paid 230 for the chip a long time ago, and the vid card i grabbed second hand for 150 bucks.

ram is dirt cheap..

It will not cost a lot of money to replicate the performance level of my PC, esp if you upgrade key components instead of buying a full system.

Gooshin, you're wrong about your system. it is not very outdated by today's standards. the E8400 chip runs at 3 GHZ and has a 6 MB cache with 1333 FSB speed which is slightly lower or equal and better in a few aspects than some i3 and i5. it is also significantly faster than some of the modern day mobile i3,i5 and i7 which are running from 1.6 ghz to 2.5 ghz respectively. some of them have even lower FSB speed and memory cache.

and I dont know if you are aware of this, but your Geforce 8800 graphics card is one powerful card and the most celebrated card by Nvidia and most sought after by gamers. even by today's standards, it runs better compared to most modern day graphics card. to tell you honestly, I was after this card 2 years ago because it was so fast and it is still till now. not to mention that it runs fast even alone, much more if you put make it an SLI pair. 1 GB of RAM is enough to run the game efficiently, you got 4 GB ram so you got enough spare for the extras but I dont think you will need more of it since it is mostly to be used to decrease loading time in support of your 3 GHZ cpu.

so SC2 should run perfectly well with your system and it's not an anomaly.

although I would agree on the point that some games can be a burden like Crysis which demands a lot of processing power and an SLI, X2 or Xfire graphics card combo.

as far as new cpus are concerned, dont ever believe that all of them are really new. because some of them are just rebranded or I forgot that term which is used in the computer lingo where you replace the name of an old cpu with a new one.

it is somehow true in a way that blizzard makes their games user-friendly as much as possible compared with other games, but WOW still needs a very good system. I ran it with an old T8100 system before under low settings with 2 GB of RAM with a geforce 8400 with 256MB dedicated memory but could use some system memory as an additional.

it would be interesting to see how SC2 would run on it since I updated it with Windows 7 so that I could utilize 4GB of RAM. I'll try and see how it works out.

from what I see, the O/S manages resources much better than the XP. and Yes, Vista is an epic failure.

07-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am very aware of the merits of my components

however they are obsolete, and quite honestly not too expensive to begin with. I paid 230 for the chip a long time ago, and the vid card i grabbed second hand for 150 bucks.

ram is dirt cheap..

It will not cost a lot of money to replicate the performance level of my PC, esp if you upgrade key components instead of buying a full system.

exactly. mine is obsolete as well or atleast branded differently than it's T6600 counterpart, but somehow still the same performance. and yet still selling for around $600 even today.

so, how is SC2 so far?
07-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

exactly. mine is obsolete as well or atleast branded differently than it's T6600 counterpart, but somehow still the same performance. and yet still selling for around $600 even today.

so, how is SC2 so far?
the single player is the best i have seen in an RTS game, Blizzard quality.

Although probably very familiar to starcraft veterans. Everything is just refined.

I also like the fact that you can just skip through the missions, or take your time after each to read up (or listen, really) on various tid bits and backstory.
07-29-2010, 08:35 PM   #25

Original Poster
the single player is the best i have seen in an RTS game, Blizzard quality.

Although probably very familiar to starcraft veterans. Everything is just refined.

I also like the fact that you can just skip through the missions, or take your time after each to read up (or listen, really) on various tid bits and backstory.
Yeah, the single player is pretty great. The non-linear mission selection and selectable difficulty just add to the fun.
07-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

and some scalpers are at it selling the CE version for as much as $300. what a buncha rip-offs.
07-30-2010, 04:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

ok guys. here's my battlenet ID. >>> add me up : a_yalung@yahoo.com

caution: I'm not that good. so dont blame me ok? lol.
08-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

tried it running on an old dual core 2 system (2.10 GHZ) + 4 GB DDR2 RAM and 256MB video. it doesn't run good or decent enough until the lowest setting (which doesn't give them game any justice due to poor details).
08-06-2010, 03:19 AM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked up the game, played through the first campaign, and wasn't thoroughly impress by anything apart from the graphics (which do look great on a full-HD laptop monitor). I'm sure it'll eventually hook me, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I picked up the game, played through the first campaign, and wasn't thoroughly impress by anything apart from the graphics (which do look great on a full-HD laptop monitor). I'm sure it'll eventually hook me, though.
I tried hooking it up on a 40 inch HDTV via HDMI cable 2 nights ago and the experience was way much better compared against the full HD laptop monitor. picture quality and motion is just unbelievable. I'll try to set the thing up for optimal setting.