Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx

06-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #77
Pentaxian

I watched a movie this weekend that originally got no respect, but DID get respect once it was able to be released on home rental: "Once Upon a Time in America". I've about decided that I like it even better than "The Godfather", which is saying a lot because I think "The Godfather" is an awesome movie. My wife had never seen it, so I was glad to be able to turn her on to it. I want to thank everyone for suggesting their favorite un-sung movies on this thread. I picked up Gattaca at a pawnshop the other day and I've made a list of others to look out for.

P.S. I agree with whoever said that the original "Alien" was the scariest SF movie of all time, although I'm not sure I'd limit that to just SF movies. It's one of the scariest movies, period! I put it up there with "Jaws" and "Deliverance" as movies that scared the bejeezus out of me the first time I saw them.
06-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #78
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I'm sitting here watching The Ninth Gate for about the fourth time, and am struck by how great it is. It's kinda slow-moving, very European, but subtly elegant, and thrilling in a ponderous and wordy way. I love it.
The Ninth Gate is a fabulous movie, in fact after seeing it I checked into the author (Arturo Perez-Reverte) and read the book. The book is even better than the movie. Since then I've read all of Arturo's books and he has become one of my favourite authors. I'm currently patiently waiting for the remainder of the Captain Alatriste series to finish being translated from Spanish to English.

If you haven't read Arturo's work I would certainly recommend it. All are good, but "Queen of the South", "Captain Alatriste" (series), "Painter of Battles" (which incidentally is about a retired war photographer...and is a bit of a biography), and The Nautical Chart are standouts.

As for movies...I'm a big James Bond fan. I know they are popular worldwide, but I suspect that many people are actually closet Bond fans. My wife hates the movies, but she humours me once every couple of years and goes to the theatre with me. I love everything about the movies, especially because they are campy, over the top and are mindless fun.

Now if they would only talk to Sean and ask him to come back once more - this time as a villain...

c[_]
06-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't know if anyone have heard of this one, The Game starring Michael Douglas/Sean Penn, but I just love it.

06-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Don't know if anyone have heard of this one, The Game starring Michael Douglas/Sean Penn, but I just love it.
Pretty famous movie. Lots of people have heard of it.

I like it too, but it has its fair share of detractors.
06-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Even though the book is better i also love the movie: The Princess Bride.
It's really hard to find someone who doesn't smile when someone else says "Inconceivable!"
That is how famous The Princess Bride is.

QuoteQuote:
Also on the list:

Boondock Saints - Plot holes a plenty but if that is what is bothering you when you watch this movie then YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!
+1

QuoteQuote:
Love Acutally - I just like this movie. That's it.
A movie that is unique, inspired, and entertaining. Truly a rarity in this era. If I had any complaint about the movie it would be this - the idea for the ending is arguably stolen from the first season of SNL, but they did it so well that I'm willing to let it slide.

QuoteQuote:
Bring it On - Yeah, yeah i know. I really don't care how you judge me for it. This movie is just fun.
Actually it has become something of a cult classic. Really it was the sequels that ruined it. For myself I prefer Fired Up, which actually shows a part of Bring It On in a scene.

My list is a bit out there, but give it a chance:

The Chronicles of Riddick A great Sci-Fi film, it is often dismissed because the main character is played by Vin Diesel. It doesn't help that it is completely different from Pitch Black, even though that is where the main character is from.

Life just wouldn't be the same without Super Troopers. If only real cops were as much fun.

Shoot 'em up The name really says it all - it is totally unrealistic, and a bit gross at times, but it is a lot of fun.

More to come!
06-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
I completely forgot about this one. It was awesome the first time, and mind numbingly dull the second time. I'd still say it's better than the credit it gets.

06-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Space Balls!
06-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #84
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
The Warriors
"Warriors come out and play"
OMG!! That was one of my favorite movies growing up!! My husband absolutely hates it. And when we used to drink, I'd always have to put the bottles on on my fingers and quote the movie. Hehehehe
06-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #85
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JesseDavis Quote
omg if you do a msg that is just ALLCAPS the forum runs .downcase on it ?!?

CABLE GUY
One of those weird stupid movies that you get caught up watching if happens to be on tv.

Same goes with JOE DIRT and FORREST GUMP.
06-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Don't know much about "lack of respect", but I find Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai not as well-known as it deserves to be. May seem a bit 'far-out', but is really quite deep, and I enjoy the absurdity in some of the actions of the main character.
06-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #87
Veteran Member

OK I'll say it , all of the Billy Jack movies.
"Maynard in exactly 20 seconds this foot is going to hit you in that side of your head and there isn't a thing you can do about it"
06-04-2010, 04:29 AM   #88
Pentaxian

This is somewhat off-topic, but for you movie-fans out there, the cheap-o good deal in pawnshops these days is DVDs. Based partly on some of the recommendations here, I went out and picked up "Sunshine", "The Fifth Element", "There Will Be Blood", "61", and "Night Shift" for about $11 total. I bought "Gattaca" for under $2 a few days earlier. For the price of a rental, you can own some of these movies...fyi.
06-04-2010, 05:13 AM   #89

Children of Men
Near term future sci-fi/apocalypse story that actually is plausible.
Very thought provoking.
06-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Two films that I really liked but no-one else seem to remember were:

'Momento' - starring Guy Pearce, - wri/dir Christopher Nolan
It is unique in that the plot and the story are split into 2 separate parts and then intertwined with short sequences of both 1 in order and the other in reverse order.
The confusion this creates help you to identify with the main character who cannot retain any memories.

In the DVD version apparently can be shown in the real story order but it probably doesnt do the film any favours as it is more interesting if you cant tell whats going on. I would buy the DVD but every time I go into the video store I forget what I was looking for.

The other is 'Until the end of the World' - by Wim Wenders.
The soundtrack was a lot more sucessful than the film itself, featuring U2, Nick Cave, Depeche Mode, Tom Waits, Talking Heads, Lou Reed, Elvis Costello ....
It's filmed in 15 cities across the world and ending in outback Australia which was pretty ambitious for 1990. (apart from James Bond films)
The directors cut is about 5hours long but two hours of it was cut for the cinema so there was always something missing.
If I could find the original version in a DVD shop and find a spare 5 hours would like to see it again.